Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What I Did With A Bunch Of Old Macs

What I Did With A Bunch Of Old Macs
Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 01:58 PM

I updated my basement/security camera setup.

My new security camera and basement setup is the latest of several security camera setups I have used over the years. While I like being about to save the security camera images, the main reason I like to use them is I can monitor who is at the door or watch for visitors from either my upstairs office or basement. Plus when the neighbor's dog is always barking, it is easy to look and see what is going on.

I was also looking to be able to run a fitness application that requires OS X from my workout area. Several photos before I updated some of my weight equipment are HERE.

My last set up was a Beige G3 and a PowerMac 6500 running OS 9 and SiteCam web cam software. I used this setup for nearly two years 24/7 without any hitches other than when the power went out. The PRAM batteries were dead and with no UPS, it was a pain to re-startup everything. I was able to save about a month's worth of QuickTime movies.

The old setup:

My first set up was a hacked Color Classic and a QuickCam.

My new setup includes two iMacs and two Beige G3 towers. These include a Bondi-Blue (233mhz) iMac running 10.3.9. I upgraded it 384 MB RAM and a 80 gig hard drive, a iMac DV 400mhz that I upgraded to 384MB of RAM but left the 10 gig HD, a Beige G3 300mhz with 384MB RAM running OS 9, and a Beige G3 266mhz 160 MB running OS 9. I have 10/100 Ethernet in all CPUs and picked up a 10/100 hub for $2 at a garage sale. I also installed new PRAM batteries in all of the CPUs and grabbed two UPS for $19 (for both!) via Staples.

New setup:

The iMac DV is used to run my fitness software, to run the other CPUs via Timbuktu, and to use the web from the basement (a handy feature based on the amount of time I spend in the basement).

The Bondi-Blue iMac is used as a file server to hold the security camera images and as a security camera monitor while I am in the basement.

The two Beige G3s run the security cameras via their AV ports. Their AV ports will not work in OS X, hence running OS 9. For some reason, SiteCam can not work with OS X directories so if I wanted to use OS X for my server I had to use something else.

I switched to an old copy of Oculus.3.1 and it works perfectly. Actually, the way you set the number of files to save makes it basically a hands free operation and I think I will like it better than SiteCam. With a 68 gig partition on my server, I can save two months worth of 640x480 QuickTime movies. About the only pain is that since I am running them headless, if I have to restart, I have to plug in a monitor so the AV ports will become active.

Full-sized sample of a camera shot (mailman from today...it is bright an sunny out):

With the $40 for the two iMacs and $3 for 300mhz G3, I have about a total of $100-115 for everything (including the cameras). I am surprised how well the iMacs handle OS X. The Bondi-Blue had a very noticeable increase in speed after going from 160MB RAM to 384MB. Plus, I still have room to save my old Macs...from a 128k, three Color Classics and for some reason, I am still hanging onto a PM 8100 (just pitched my PM 8150 Server though).

Rumor
May 26, 2006, 02:02 PM

Bit paranoid?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Biggerfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Bit paranoid?
No, but it is nice not having to get up and walk downstairs or stopping something to see who is at the door.

I did have my car broken into four times at my old home and that is what came me the idea. I did catch a 14 year-old red-handed trying to steal my car a few years ago. Of course, nothing happened to him!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 02:35 PM

Ooo. Color Classics.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PacHead
Baninated
May 26, 2006, 02:38 PM

Cool setup. Doesn't it eat up a lot of electricity to have all those things on 24-7 ?

Biggerfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 02:44 PM

I still have 3 Color Classics. One is hacked to run OS 8.1 and have the 040 chip (it had the video mod).

It does not seem to use that much power without any monitors on. I am guess, I think it is probably close to leaving a light bulb on all of the time. Besides, it is a hobby so a $1 a day or so if okay with me.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot
I still have 3 Color Classics. One is hacked to run OS 8.1 and have the 040 chip (it had the video mod).
I tried to do that with mine, with the 6500 motherboard mod. I botched it because I didn't have a punch tool and used my fingernails. (ouch) I'm pretty sure the ribbon didn't connect all the way.

Oh well.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Biggerfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I tried to do that with mine, with the 6500 motherboard mod. I botched it because I didn't have a punch tool and used my fingernails. (ouch) I'm pretty sure the ribbon didn't connect all the way.

Oh well.
I didn't think about it until you mentioned it but now that I pulled my PM 6500 out of service, I may look into adding that into one of my CCs. I still have a G3 upgrade for it too. I think I need to add a little more juice to it though....

Humm...a CC running OS X...!

Forum Links
Forum Rules