Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I guess my new MBP's harddrive is toast...

I guess my new MBP's harddrive is toast...
atc ben
Nov 6, 2006, 06:29 PM

So I just received my new 15" MBP 2.33 today. I reinstalled OS X without all the extra language support no problem. So I decided to download and install bootcamp and then install XP Pro to a 30GB partition. I get to the blue Windows Setup screen and it gets to where it says starting Windows at the bottom and then I get the blue screen of death - Windows has detected a problem and is shutting down to prevent further damage to your system, or something like that. I tried to reboot by unplugging the MBP and popping the battery out, but on reboot all I get is the "No bootable device -- insert bootable disk and press any key" error. Being new to Macs, I slipped the OSX install disc 1 into the superdrive and pressed a key, but no joy. I can't even get the install disc out of the drive.

I guess I'll be sending it back for a replacement.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

atc ben  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 06:37 PM

well, I feel like a moron. Nevermind!!!

Mods please delete this thread.
My

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 06:53 PM

Go oooon, tell us what happened.

gpro
Nov 6, 2006, 07:26 PM

i kno how to fix that!!
when u boot ur laptop up hold the ALT button and it will tell u if u want to boot windows or apple and choose apple. and you will need to delete your windows partition and do it again

atc ben  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by gpro View Post
i kno how to fix that!!
when u boot ur laptop up hold the ALT button and it will tell u if u want to boot windows or apple and choose apple. and you will need to delete your windows partition and do it again
Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I'm such a Mac noob. I am having a hard time installing MS Office Standard from a disc my school provided me with though. It hangs up for a few minutes after I accept the user agreement, and then it just exits. I checked the disc for scratches and I didn't see anything, so I don't know what the problem could be.
My

gpro
Nov 6, 2006, 07:34 PM

i dont even own a mac lol so am more noob then you. i only get to play on the mac when my freind comes round his got a mac but am buying the new macbook pro soon i cant wait! i love macs!! and are you trying to install ms office on mac or windows?

atc ben  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by gpro View Post
i dont even own a mac lol so am more noob then you. i only get to play on the mac when my freind comes round his got a mac but am buying the new macbook pro soon i cant wait! i love macs!! and are you trying to install ms office on mac or windows?
Mac. I haven't got Windows going yet either.
My

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 6, 2006, 09:04 PM

I guess I'll just close this thread then. It's an oops that Mac tyros (to avoid the term "noobs") can easily make, and probably a lesson very well learned, eh Ben?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules