Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems installing MS Office 2004 Standard on MBP

Problems installing MS Office 2004 Standard on MBP
atc ben
Nov 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

I've been trying to install MS Office Standard 2004 on my new Macbook Pro all day with no success. I've tried using the assistant and the drag and drop method. It just freezes up and eventually exits on it's own. I've checked the disc for scratches and fingerprints but I don't see anything. Any tips or advice?
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

atc ben  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 10:31 PM

More specifically, when trying to copy the files to the Applications folder, I get the following: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "InfoPlist.strings" could not be read or written. (Error Code -36)."

What does that mean?

I checked out this Office disc from my school library, so I'd like to know if this is a problem with my computer or with the disc.
( Last edited by atc ben; Nov 6, 2006 at 10:38 PM. )
My

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by atc ben View Post
More specifically, when trying to copy the files to the Applications folder, I get the following: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "InfoPlist.strings" could not be read or written. (Error Code -36)."

What does that mean?

I checked out this Office disc from my school library, so I'd like to know if this is a problem with my computer or with the disc.
You checked out the disk from your school library?

atc ben  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
You checked out the disk from your school library?
Yeah, why? My university has a license agreement with Microsoft that provides Office for students. I also checked out XP Pro to load onto my MBP with Bootcamp.
My

atc ben  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 01:01 AM

A search for Error -36 on the MS Office 2004 Support site leads me to believe that the media is damaged somehow. I hope the school has another copy!
My

atc ben  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 12:42 PM

OK, I tried 3 different install disks at my school, and everyone single one of them crashed before the install completed. Every time, the drive slows down and then stops completely. The drive is also pretty noisy and it won't eject the disk after the crash. The Finder stops responding and I have to eject the battery in order to restart and eject the disk. I'm starting to think it's my superdrive. I haven't been able to install XP Pro from a disk in Bootcamp either. At one point I got the blue windows screen saying windows has detected a hardware problem and needs to close to prevent damage to my computer. No one has any thoughts?
My

atc ben  (op)
Nov 8, 2006, 08:21 PM

Problem solved. Appearantly, the new DL superdrives in the C2D MBPs are so tight, that it has a hard time reading from a CD with a label on the top of it. I visited my school's IT office today and got them to let me install from their original disk and all is good.
My

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 08:39 PM

Interesting.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Interesting.
Exactly

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by atc ben View Post
I have to eject the battery in order to restart and eject the disk
You don't need to do that. Hold down the power button for a couple seconds and it will turn off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules