Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I pay Apple to upgrade video card

Can I pay Apple to upgrade video card
Kamikaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 08:39 PM

Hello,

I have a 24" iMac and I was wondering if I can take it in and have Apple upgrade the video card to 256? They replaced an lemon 20" (I paid the difference) to the 128 card because i needed one fast and now i have heard that the 256 card is sold to OEM's only.

Thanks for any and all help.
Free Your Mind

Macbook Pro CD, 2ghz, 1gb,100gb 7200, 128mb
Macbook (Black) CD, 2ghz, 1gb, 80gb, 64mb
12" iBook, 1.25ghz, 1.25gb, 60gb, 32mb
iMac (24" of Glory) C2D, 2.16ghz, 1gb, 250gb, 128mb

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 02:34 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think so - the graphics are technically on an MXM expansion card, but it's not readily accessible. Not that I'd worry too much - I hear even the stock 7300 GT is better overall than the 256MB X1600. Video RAM helps, but it's not everything.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 11:25 PM

Nope, but go ahead and try to prove me wrong.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 01:29 PM

No. I tried to get them to put a bigger hard drive in my PB when it failed. They won't do anything except original spec.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 03:51 PM

The PowerBook is a different case; in the PowerBook, the GPU/VRAM is soldered to the motherboard. In the 24" iMac, the GPU/VRAM are on their own daughtercard (it's like MXM, but not quite).

smith-photo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 AM

I use a 20" iMac at my church office (and another PC) and just purchased a 24" iMac for my photography business. The unit I purchased (not from Apple) was configured with the 7300 GT, 128MB graphics card. Lots of rumors out ther (many of which I've explored, looking for more than speculation) about whether one can upgrade to the 7600 GT, 256MB card. Of course, you can configure a new purchase from Apple with this upgrade, but can it be done to existing 24" iMacs once they ship...or if you purchase one with the 7300 card refurbished, used, or new from another party.

The answer is "YES". This comes first hand from Apple technical support department (which I spoke with today). Here is what they told me:

1. This upgrade can be done after purchase
2. It will not be performed by any Apple store (they just won't do it). As to why, your guess is probably accurate.
3. It can be performed by an authorized Apple reseller/service center. They can (whether they will may be another issue) order this part (the 7600 GT card) and install it for you. The Apple Technical Support representative assured me that there is a part number that is availalbe to them if they chose to order it and perform this upgrade.
4. What do you do if your local authorized Apple reseller/service center refuses? Apple Tech Support gave me this advice: keep inquiring with other Apple resellers until you find one that will let you give them your business. According to Apple, they are out there.

So, there you have a little "Apple Insider" news. Gentlemen (and Ladies), start your engines!

Forum Links
Forum Rules