Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ical helper running wild

ical helper running wild
tttool2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2009, 12:26 PM

OK, so I've search these forums on the web, and found quite a bit of stuff on this, but nothing that solves my problem.

I have a newish mbp15 with Leopard, and it's been running fine until 3 days ago when it woke up with the clock set to 1964. The internet didn't work, and I reset the time, thinking all was well.
After that, it has been terribly slow all the time, and periodically a process called ical helper pops up with a blank ical alarm and takes 90% of both cores, until it crashes a couple of hours later. I can kill it with activity monitor, but it comes back.

I've tried deleting the ical .plists and caches, repairing permissions, exporting and re-importing the calendars etc, and nothing works. The machine feels generally more sluggish, and unuseable while ical helper is running. As far as I can tell nothing else is wrong. I have plenty of drive space and ram, and other accounts on the same machine are fine.

I really need my ical appointments, as I use them to generate billing for clients, so simply ditching ical is not something I want to do - any ideas?
Thank you!

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2009, 03:02 PM

I solved this problem by using my second Mac that wasn't having any problems.

If you have a second Mac try this:

Deauthorize your troublesome Mac from synching to MobileMe.
Use the "advanced" button in System Preferences->MobileMe to overwrite synch information on MobileMe with the data on your properly functioning Mac.
Reauthorize your troublesome Mac to sync to MobileMe.
Set your initial synch setting on the troublesome Mac to be overwritten by the data on MobileMe.
Perform a sync.

I was able to fix the problem this way. Nothing else seemed to work.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Forum Links
Forum Rules