Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any way to burn DVD+R on iDVD (or workarounds)?

Any way to burn DVD+R on iDVD (or workarounds)?
Andrman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 12:18 AM

Forgive me if this is already a topic, but I searched and the search doesn't seem to differentiate between DVD-R and DVD+R, even when in quotes. And there were about 80 pages of results.

This is more to help out my little sister... but anyway she's making a movie of our church's trip to FL. She bought DVD+R blanks to burn it on. When she inserts them to burn in iDVD it just ejects them and says "Please insert a blank DVD." She's on a 867mhz iMac G4 with Superdrive.

I know that I tried using DVD+R before on my TiBook and it did the same thing, because Apple only supported the -R format. However I did find a CNET article dated Oct. 2003 that said they would bring +R compatibility with Panther, although not necessarily for the iApps. That's all the info I could find.

So my question is - does anyone know of any haxies or workarounds? We have several Macs that we could use if only certain drives are compatible; PowerBook G4 1Ghz (Ti), 1.8Ghz G5, and the aforementioned iMac. We also have Toast 6 on the G5 and could install it wherever.

I'm hoping Toast can burn to +R? Then maybe the best solution is to burn the movie via iDVD onto a DVD-R, and copy the image (any info on doing that? I know it's possible since they're not copyrighted/encoded) to burn using Toast.

I also may be able to get a PC with DVD burner if that's the only solution. But I don't know what software we'd need for that.

Any help would be appreciated...

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 07:34 AM

iDVD itself will only use DVD-R media and I haven't heard of any way to overcome this. Assuming your burner is able to burn to DVD+/-R and +/-RW, then 10.3 is capable of using all four types of media via Disk Utility (in the /Applications/Utilities folder) so Toast isn't necessary for this. You could try using Disk Utility to duplicate the iDVD burned DVD-R to a DVD+R/RW - it should work in theory, but I have no practical experience of this. When doing it for CD's, in Disk Utility you choose Images>New>Image from disk<whatever disk it is>. This will make an image of that disk which you can then use to burn duplicates.

sghms
Aug 10, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Andrman:
Forgive me if this is already a topic, but I searched and the search doesn't seem to differentiate between DVD-R and DVD+R, even when in quotes. And there were about 80 pages of results.

This is more to help out my little sister... but anyway she's making a movie of our church's trip to FL. She bought DVD+R blanks to burn it on. When she inserts them to burn in iDVD it just ejects them and says "Please insert a blank DVD." She's on a 867mhz iMac G4 with Superdrive.

I know that I tried using DVD+R before on my TiBook and it did the same thing, because Apple only supported the -R format. However I did find a CNET article dated Oct. 2003 that said they would bring +R compatibility with Panther, although not necessarily for the iApps. That's all the info I could find.

So my question is - does anyone know of any haxies or workarounds? We have several Macs that we could use if only certain drives are compatible; PowerBook G4 1Ghz (Ti), 1.8Ghz G5, and the aforementioned iMac. We also have Toast 6 on the G5 and could install it wherever.

I'm hoping Toast can burn to +R? Then maybe the best solution is to burn the movie via iDVD onto a DVD-R, and copy the image (any info on doing that? I know it's possible since they're not copyrighted/encoded) to burn using Toast.

I also may be able to get a PC with DVD burner if that's the only solution. But I don't know what software we'd need for that.

Go to this LINK

Download the file listed halfway down the page (here's a d/l link for the

FILE ) and unzip it. There will be two files called Hurz and Pfurz which you should place in your home folder.

Then when you run iDVD and are ready to burn, click and keep ctrl pressed and go to to file and click on burn (still keeping ctrl pressed ) . An option appear asking if you would like idvd to burn an image or to an external dvd drive.

If you select image then once the image is complete you can burn it in toast onto a dvd+r

HTH and let us know what happens
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Andrman:

Isn't it a helluva (oops, pardon me!) lot easier to just go get some DVD-Rs? C'mon, they're only $2 apiece. And then you'll have something you know works.

Andrman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

Yes it would be easier, but she purchased them and stores don't like to take back opened media. So I'm trying to see if we can get them to work. She obviously has learned her lesson, regardless.

I'll try the strange German-named easter egg and let you know how it goes

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 06:33 PM

I did the same thing when I first got my iBook with superdrive. I went out and bought 10 dvd+r's and then after about a week of searching around for ways to use them, I just decided to go buy a 50 pack of dvd-r's. Best buy or comp usa usually has a deal where you can get them for about $25 or less, you just gotta look in the sunday ads. Good luck on getting the +r's to work though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules