Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > any os x programmers got skills

any os x programmers got skills
mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 03:59 AM

ok, i have a simple but needed app for os x that i think is a necessity. i can't program cocoa at all. i am willing to tell the idea and offer to make a website and put up the server space to promote it. it would be a great shareware app.

anyone down with doing a deal to make it and i will promote and do the rest after.

email me at [email protected] and we can work out the details
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 04:02 AM

Seriously, if you want anyone at all to take that offer, you're going to need to be more specific about the app idea.

Maybe you should learn Cocoa? It's fun, and not really that hard...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 04:07 AM

I keep thinking I should play around with Cocoa. I've got pretty basic programming experience.

a year of C++, and class on Data Structures (Linked lists, Trees, crap like that) And I took part of a class on Software Engineering.

Is this enough to get started on some Cocoa? I also, don't really have anything I'd like to make. I guess I could help out with some open source stuff or something. Or shareware...

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Seriously, if you want anyone at all to take that offer, you're going to need to be more specific about the app idea.

Maybe you should learn Cocoa? It's fun, and not really that hard...
i wish i had the time. i have my hands full with web design, maintenance, video editing and straight running the business to go into cocoa. i really want to but i can't slack on what i have going now.

i can't be specific anymore than just saying that it is a simple addition to os x that should be there already.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2003, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
i can't be specific anymore than just saying that it is a simple addition to os x that should be there already.
Man there are tons of things that should be already there

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Man there are tons of things that should be already there
yeah no doubt. but this is one that should be done at least by a third party by now at least.

calumr
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 08:28 AM

Why don't you just tell us and we'll let you know what we think.

sandsl
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 09:29 AM

You really should give us an idea of the project, simply telling us that its something that should be in the OS already is useless...
It could be a driver, kernal additional, application, plugin, menu item...how do you expect people to help you if you don't tell them what they're going to be doing.

Whatever it is, its bound to be something not so secret you can't even mention it - its not like a new invention.

Plus this should be the developer forum.
Luke

WombatPredator
May 3, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
a year of C++, and class on Data Structures (Linked lists, Trees, crap like that) And I took part of a class on Software Engineering. Is this enough to get started on some Cocoa?
That's more than enough, if you're willing to put some time into it. Looks like you got introduced to some theory as well, which is a very good thing. Grab a book like Aaron Hillegass' "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X", install the dev tools (they are free and they rock), make yourself some coffee and prepare to be blown away.

I also, don't really have anything I'd like to make. I guess I could help out with some open source stuff or something. Or shareware...
Try and make a clone of something. Take a program that you like and try to make your own version of it. You're not gonna make money off it, you don't even have to show your friends but it will give you a goal to achieve with a set of constrains and parameters that are already familiar to you. Drop it halfway through if you want, it doesn't matter.

Ideas will come as you become more familiar with Cocoa and its framework. Soon, you'll have a "wouldn't it be cool if?" moment or a "this is something that could be done with a simple app" moment. And then you'll be hooked and your next app will be on VersionTracker and you'll have a bunch of people with poor grammar skills giving you ratings and bickering because you used the metal look which r0x/sux.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 11:16 AM

Dude, that could be anything from a trivial hack that could be written in an afternoon to a huge project that would take months to something that's just plain not possible in OS X.

I'm sorry, but no one is just going to just volunteer an unknown amount of time to some project that they have no idea what it is. Not gonna happen.

I doubt it's a big state secret or anything, so why not just tell us what it is you want?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by WombatPredator:
And then you'll be hooked and your next app will be on VersionTracker and you'll have a bunch of people with poor grammar skills giving you ratings and bickering because you used the metal look which r0x/sux.
LOL, or they'll bitch you out because your version 0.5 software has bugs in it.

philm
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by WombatPredator:
And then you'll be hooked and your next app will be on VersionTracker and you'll have a bunch of people with poor grammar skills giving you ratings and bickering because you used the metal look which r0x/sux.
LOFL! Great stuff.

malbicho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 01:42 PM

is it something that will make it snappier?
malbicho --> +mal +bichos
www.ppcnerds.org :)

Phanguye
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 03:54 PM

i have to agree... no decent programmer... or even a decent code monkey is going to sign on with out know what they are getting into, and even then they could steal your idea just as easily as we could if you posted it here

sandsl
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 04:00 PM

LOL, or they'll bitch you out because your version 0.5 software has bugs in it.
Well no offense but a bug which causes an app not to work at all for me is quite a major problem that really should be fixed. You deserve to be bitched at lol

Yeh I know its not your fault and all that but hey, I want to use your app and I can't so I have an excuse to moan

I'd be interested to know when the next version will come out that will hopefully fix the bug
Luke

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Well no offense but a bug which causes an app not to work at all for me is quite a major problem that really should be fixed. You deserve to be bitched at lol

Yeh I know its not your fault and all that but hey, I want to use your app and I can't so I have an excuse to moan

I'd be interested to know when the next version will come out that will hopefully fix the bug
When you download an app that's at 0.5.x, you have to expect that there might be problems, even major ones. If it's at 0.5, that means it's still in development...

Especially when the bug in question occurs in my low-priority freeware app, and pretty much wants me to have access to every Mac model and optical drive ever made, it can be tough...

Trust me, if I figure out a way to get this fixed on all machines, I'll surely post a new version.

Anyway, this is off topic.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 05:48 PM

So tell us already what this great idea is!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 07:00 PM

Um, no offense, but no one's going to want to program for you unless they know what you want them to do. Indeed, given the many different types of apps out there, certain developers may know the sort of thing you want very well, while others might not. You're going to need to tell us what you want before we can help you at all.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 07:06 PM

Why "Can't" you say more?

You afraid someone will take the idea and make it... oh wait, you want someone to use the idea to make your app....

wtf...

-Owl

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 07:15 PM

Put these words into order:

And. Eating. It. Your. Having. Cake.

That isn't going to happen. So either you volunteer what the app is, or do it yourself!

AJ

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 09:26 PM

I see he left his email address, email him tell him you will help him make the app and ask him what it is. Stop bitching in here.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 10:27 PM

Maybe I'll just start working on the idea right now.

Hmm...create some add-on for Mac OS X. That ought to be easy. Define the problem. Okay, yes. What's missing from Mac OS X?

Sure, that will be easy. With all my development experience, I should have it done in no time at all.
folding@home is good for you.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I see he left his email address, email him tell him you will help him make the app and ask him what it is. Stop bitching in here.
I think it's already been made abundantly clear that we don't want to commit to making something if we don't know what it is! No way in hell is anyone going to want to go e-mail him and say "sure, I'll make whatever it is you want. Shoot" and then get "All I want is an app that single-handedly solves the energy problem and eliminates world hunger! Should be simple, right?"

Besides that, most people have more experience in certain areas than in others. There are some things people are good at, and other things they are not so good at.

Please read people's posts before you bitch about them. Otherwise, things get rather ish.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 4, 2003 at 12:30 AM. )

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2003, 05:23 AM

I think it's already been made abundantly clear that we don't want to commit to making something if we don't know what it is! No way in hell is anyone going to want to go e-mail him and say "sure, I'll make whatever it is you want. Shoot" and then get "All I want is an app that single-handedly solves the energy problem and eliminates world hunger! Should be simple, right?"
Obviously he doesn't want to give his idea away to the world, which may or may not be a valid attitude, we don't know. I think if you e-mailed him and expressed an interest if he provided further details, he might get back to you. Or not.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2003, 10:52 AM

never mind, cynical rant that was mostly stating the obvious.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 4, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )

neoTony
May 4, 2003, 07:14 PM

I keep thinking I should play around with Cocoa. I've got pretty basic programming experience.

a year of C++, and class on Data Structures (Linked lists, Trees, crap like that) And I took part of a class on Software Engineering.

Is this enough to get started on some Cocoa? I also, don't really have anything I'd like to make. I guess I could help out with some open source stuff or something. Or shareware...
Heh, I spent about two weeks learning C, then jumped into Objective-C - seriously, it's not that hard at all... Go for it!

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Um, no offense, but no one's going to want to program for you unless they know what you want them to do. Indeed, given the many different types of apps out there, certain developers may know the sort of thing you want very well, while others might not. You're going to need to tell us what you want before we can help you at all.
I agree. I have a degree in Computer Science. I don't have any Cocoa documentation, but I can do Java programming. I guess it is unlikely that I will be able to help anyway, but I don't think anyone can do much without knowing what you want.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2003, 07:57 PM

Guys I don't know why you are so harsh on him for. I will personally
email him and ask what he wants if I like it I will work on it If I don't
I will tell him, it is as simple as that.
I will have plenty of time up my sleaves come holidays so we will see.
( Last edited by theory; May 4, 2003 at 08:11 PM. )

Agent69
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 08:03 PM

This thread is the funniest thing I have read all day long. Many thanks to the topic starter.
Agent69

dettociao
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by theory:
Guys I don't what you are so harsh on him for. I will personally
email him and ask what he wants if I like it I will work If I don't
I will tell him it is as simple as that.
I refuse to let this thread die until I find out WTF his "idea" is.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Brass
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by dettociao:
I refuse to let this thread die until I find out WTF his "idea" is.
Email him then tell us :-)

Unless he makes you sign a NDA

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 4, 2003, 09:46 PM

Guys I don't know why you are so harsh on him for. I will personally
email him and ask what he wants if I like it I will work on it If I don't
I will tell him, it is as simple as that.
It doesn't make sense to waste much time for a "great shareware app" if it isn't even something within my reach. e.g., I would be willing to write a vector graphics application but not a bitmapped graphics application simply because of the complexity. (Note the wealth of Photoshop alternatives.)

I've met a lot of people who think that someone easy to use is also easy to develop, which is almost never the case--just the opposite.

It's good that you're willing. I hope that's always the case.
folding@home is good for you.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2003, 11:07 PM

I emailed him but no reply yet. Probably
diffrence in time zone.

dettociao
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 11:43 PM

I emailed him but no reply yet. Probably
diffrence in time zone.
Same
-.-
12" SuperDrive

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 5, 2003, 02:06 AM

Just some perspective here -- I imagine he isn't giving details because he's interested in forming a partnership with the developer. ie, "I'll give you the idea, you code it, I'll host the web site, and we'll split the profits"

While that's an understandable goal, the truth is that ideas are not worth a whole lot in the software business. It is the implementation that matters, very few publishers/developers will develop and idea and consider it an equitable trade.

Certainly someone who is developing for the fun of it may, but that relegates it to a hobby for them, which isn't the best way to keep a project active.

As for putting up a web site, just as a note, it takes an awful lot more than just doing that to make a product well known and thus succeed in the market.

For what it is worth.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Just some perspective here -- I imagine he isn't giving details because he's interested in forming a partnership with the developer. ie, "I'll give you the idea, you code it, I'll host the web site, and we'll split the profits"

While that's an understandable goal, the truth is that ideas are not worth a whole lot in the software business. It is the implementation that matters, very few publishers/developers will develop and idea and consider it an equitable trade.
Thanks moki, that's essentially what I said in the post that I deleted, but it's in considerably nicer language.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2003, 09:58 AM

Yes It's enough, you know how to programm. I recommend you read Building Cocoa Applications : A Step by Step Guide which will help you master Apple's developers environment, including Interface builder and project builder.

I also recommend you read The Objective-C language from Apple which will explain you OOP and Objective-c from the C stands point.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 01:39 PM

���Tell us!!!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Tell us!!!
As moki pointed out, he probably thinks he's going to make money with this idea. Even without doing any work himself to make it.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 02:16 PM

As moki pointed out, he probably thinks he's going to make money with this idea. Even without doing any work himself to make it.
One can't just arouse everybody's curiosity here with "a great idea" and then not tell it. That's a bad joke.

And who is going to commit to make this app and give him his share, without even knowing what it is?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 02:55 PM

It's probably Labels.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
It's probably Labels.
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/labels/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
And who is going to commit to make this app and give him his share, without even knowing what it is?
That's what I've been wondering since this thread started.

dettociao
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 06:55 PM

Still no response from my two emails to him.

What a doosh.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

ambush
Banned
May 5, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by neoTony:
Heh, I spent about two weeks learning C, then jumped into Objective-C - seriously, it's not that hard at all... Go for it!

What a great programmer you must be...
Just joking

Two weeks learning C... Hmm.. "Not that hard at all?" Well it's not too hard when you want to code simple apps, I have to admit, in that way it's a bit like realbasic but with "tougher" memory management.. But when you want to be serious, things get a bit more complex. I'm coding cocoa "seriously" since like a year or so, and I'm far from mastering it (but then again, I'm not like 100% into it). Also, if you think Obj-C is just C with a small design concept and syntax difference, well you're wrong and you know nothing about the runtime, etc, etc, and obviously, to be what I could call "a great cocoa programmer" (like AngusD ) you'll have to really master Obj-C and C ( if you want to use those bsd/gnu libs, or whatever. )

Wait till you get in NSThreads and stuff, you'll come back and say it's a bit tougher

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
What a great programmer you must be...
Just joking

Two weeks learning C... Hmm.. "Not that hard at all?" Well it's not too hard when you want to code simple apps, I have to admit, in that way it's a bit like realbasic but with "tougher" memory management.. But when you want to be serious, things get a bit more complex. I'm coding cocoa "seriously" since like a year or so, and I'm far from mastering it (but then again, I'm not like 100% into it). Also, if you think Obj-C is just C with a small design concept and syntax difference, well you're wrong and you know nothing about the runtime, etc, etc, and obviously, to be what I could call "a great cocoa programmer" (like AngusD ) you'll have to really master Obj-C and C ( if you want to use those bsd/gnu libs, or whatever. )

Wait till you get in NSThreads and stuff, you'll come back and say it's a bit tougher
Dude, he's saying that it's easy to learn Objective-C, which is true. He's not saying it's easy to master and write professional applications with the Cocoa framework. He's talking about getting started, getting your foot in the door, and with Cocoa it's really not that bad.

ambush
Banned
May 5, 2003, 07:34 PM

Dude, he's saying that it's easy to learn Objective-C, which is true. He's not saying it's easy to master and write professional applications with the Cocoa framework. He's talking about getting started, getting your foot in the door, and with Cocoa it's really not that bad.
I did not say that in a mean way. So relax a bit.

It's just weird to learn C in 2 weeks then jump to Obj-C/Cocoa.. anyway.. for me it is... and it's not a good way to "get your foot in the door".. but then again I'm a 15 years old programmer wih almost no experience.

eno
Banned
May 5, 2003, 08:14 PM

You guys are all wasting your time (and now I am too) for the sake of this troll.

Moki's dead right. Ideas are worth jack ****. The work of implementing them is where it's at.

If this guy wants to get paid for his "idea", and if it "should be" in Mac OS X by now, I suggest that he writes to Apple and tells them so, demanding a handsome fee.

I'm sure they'll oblige him and get a team onto it straight away.... NOT.

In the meantime, I am going to go back to my own income-generating projects. Bye for now.

[Edit: this belongs in the Development forum anyway... mods: lock the thread]

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 08:38 PM

[Edit: this belongs in the Development forum anyway... mods: lock the thread] [/B]
You mean
Code:
[Moderator lockTheThread: "this belongs in the Development forum anyway..."]
Okay, that was a really bad joke...

tikki
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
You mean
Code:
[Moderator lockTheThread: "this belongs in the Development forum anyway..."]
Okay, that was a really bad joke...
You didn't release the object

Besides, shouldn't there be an @ before the quotes?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Forum Links
Forum Rules