Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone else seeing this on their G4 iBooks?

Anyone else seeing this on their G4 iBooks?
ntrinsik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 09:23 PM

I just started putting my iBook [G4, 12"] to sleep between classes. Before, I'd turn it off and turn it back on. When it comes back from sleep mode, it seems be real sluggish.. and a restart is almost necessary to bring it back to speed. Anyone else experiencing this?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 10:58 PM

Hmm, what do you have loaded while you put it to sleep? Personally I have never seen this. One of my favorite things about my iBook is that fact that I can get it on at full speed in about one second when I get into class, while the guy down the row is still pulling his notebook out of hibernate.

ntrinsik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 02:33 PM

Usually I have AIM running, an instance of Safari, Word, and sometime iTunes. Would it be better to just exit all the programs first then?

nickgold2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 06:05 PM

I absolutely recommend quitting all running apps before engaging sleep. Most apps are not meant to be interrupted in such a fashion, and this can cause slowdown and other issues upon wake. It will take a few days to get into the habit -- just scan your Dock for triangles and quit those apps before sleeping.
My opinions are my own, and not those of anybody else, including my employer.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by ntrinsik:
Usually I have AIM running, an instance of Safari, Word, and sometime iTunes. Would it be better to just exit all the programs first then?
Try just quitting Word: I believe it tries to poll the network to see if there's another instance of the same serial number running. Anyway, it spins the beachball forever.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 08:38 PM

I never quit my apps before sleeping. I just close the lid and reopen. I'll go days if not weeks without quitting some apps.

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 10:30 PM

Same here. All my most used apps stay up all the time.

arclight
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 12:06 PM

Why would you want to quit all running apps before sleeping? That defeats the whole purpose of the sleep function. If I'm in the middle of a project on the road, I want to just simply close the lid and be able to pick up where I left off WITHOUT having to relaunch all my apps and open all the files. That's just silly-

Run top in the terminal to see what is hogging the CPU. It might give you some insight into the slowdown-
---------------------------------------

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by arclight:

Run top in the terminal to see what is hogging the CPU. It might give you some insight into the slowdown-
Or even better (if you're not the terminal type), Panther's Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) runs top.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 06:34 PM

It's not iBook but on my 12" AlBook i'll be in the middle of a Wolfenstein game and I can close the lid, and when i open the lid, I'm right in the game with no slowdowns. It's perfect in school.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by nickgold2012:
I absolutely recommend quitting all running apps before engaging sleep. Most apps are not meant to be interrupted in such a fashion, and this can cause slowdown and other issues upon wake. It will take a few days to get into the habit -- just scan your Dock for triangles and quit those apps before sleeping.
Sorry, that is absolute rubbish. I have been sleeping Macs for years, and quitting apps is just not necessary, in the slightest.

You might want to try looking at Activity Monitor (or top if your familiar with that side of things) to check for processes sucking the CPU needlessly.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 01:41 AM

I'll agree with the people saying it is not necessary to quit apps before sleeping.

I do however do quit a few apps unaware of sleep *glares at Proteus*. XChat seems to detect the loss and reconnect of network and reconnects quickly, but Proteus takes up to 15 minutes to actually realise something happened and reconnect all the networks I use.

Anyone know if Fire is sleep aware? If so, I'm switching. I'm tired of Proteus not being useful more and more every upgrade.
<This space under renovation>

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Or even better (if you're not the terminal type), Panther's Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) runs top.
Is it just me, or is this app a top contender for "Most Improved App" under Panther... it just plain rocks. I keep it running all the time now with the CPU monitor as the Dock icon.

To get back on topic though... there really is no need to quit apps before sleeping. I frequently have a ton of apps open when putting it to sleep (Photoshop incl). I regularly use all of the apps you've listed there with the exception of one... MS Word. That would be my first suspect if I were you.

wowok1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
I'll agree with the people saying it is not necessary to quit apps before sleeping.

I do however do quit a few apps unaware of sleep *glares at Proteus*. XChat seems to detect the loss and reconnect of network and reconnects quickly, but Proteus takes up to 15 minutes to actually realise something happened and reconnect all the networks I use.

Anyone know if Fire is sleep aware? If so, I'm switching. I'm tired of Proteus not being useful more and more every upgrade.
Yes, Fire is fully sleep aware. Sleep options for Fire are in its Preferences->general preferencepane.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
Is it just me, or is this app a top contender for "Most Improved App" under Panther... it just plain rocks. I keep it running all the time now with the CPU monitor as the Dock icon.
No, top is pretty much the same, and I'm finding that it uses more CPU than in Jaguar. Activity Monitor on the other hand, is very much improved

It isn't really that difficult to get Proteus to reconnect - I don't find it all that problematic to go from Available --> Offline --> Available. In version 2, it used to auto recognize, but with 3, the protocol daemons may not be coded to recognize the sleep action. In 2, they were hardcoded (moreso) than v3.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by AJ:
No, top is pretty much the same, and I'm finding that it uses more CPU than in Jaguar. Activity Monitor on the other hand, is very much improved
Re-read exactly what I wrote, with the added context of what I quoted... the "top contender" was an intended pun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules