Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G5 Powerbook

G5 Powerbook
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:27 PM

Well I guess we now have our answer regarding the time line for a G5 powerbook.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
You mean the PentiumBook?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 04:07 PM

Ha! I was right. No PB G5 this year.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 04:10 PM

No PB G5 ever. It's kinda sad to think about. 10 hour battery life centrino powered PB here I come.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
They never constructed a PB G5. This will be known as the day Apple sacrifised their inovation for pure buissness. It is a sad day. The G series is a part of Apple. They are leaving the Apple HW, first firewire on the iPod, now they kill the whole underlying architecture. Thus, I do understand after all. Intel is indeed superior on the laptop market, and they will results in PBs with longer battery capasity and support for x86 programs.
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 04:16 PM

Apple isn't sacrificing innovation. Any innovation related to the cpu was solely on IBM's part. IBM is stifling Apple's innovation by not being able to produce what Apple needs. Apple's always had trouble with IBM delivering chips... they may have had no other choice!

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHoMi
Apple isn't sacrificing innovation. Any innovation related to the cpu was solely on IBM's part. IBM is stifling Apple's innovation by not being able to produce what Apple needs. Apple's always had trouble with IBM delivering chips... they may have had no other choice!
In these term you are right, but the G series made Apple something else. It was not just another Intel computer. For instance, take a look at all the focus on the G5. They might keep their status as Apple, but with a flirt with x86 i doubt they will be much more than a "good Dell". It seems that Apple wants to envovle over time to be a SW company in addition to the iPods.

Another downside is the fact that the x86 architecture supports a lots of old programs, and bacuase of this performs worse than other alternative architectures like Intel Itanium (which I suppose is not going to be the new Apple CPU??). The world needs a upgrade from x86, not another member. Apple is of course not big enough to change this trend, but it is still a sad day.

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

OF COURSE Apple put emphasis on the G5! That was their product! They have to if they want to ship computers. Would you have bought a Mac if they weren't capable of selling you on how good the cpu was?

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 05:32 PM

So does this mean future mac users will be open to x86 virus threats? I'm excited for the possibilities of a centrino as they are mighty fine mobile processors.

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 05:37 PM

Naw, the viruses that plague the universe are windows-based. If it were the fault of the x86, then you'd see them rampant on x86 linux machines too (which you don't).

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:43 PM

Wow, you people are retarded.

G3/G4/G5 didn't set Apple apart, at least not in a good way. Apple was special because of their software, and this move won't change that at all. Furthermore, viruses attack Windows, not your processor.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:58 PM

If it means that we can get the battery life and performance of the mobile Intel processors, then it's a good thing. Besides, the OS is what makes a Mac a Mac, not the nuts and bolts.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 06:06 PM

Man, i just bought the new powerbook a couple of months ago and i was worried they were to announce a new powerbook or speed bump. even though i knew it was long shot and they had just bumped the pbook i was still a bit scared.... pheeew!
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHoMi
OF COURSE Apple put emphasis on the G5! That was their product! They have to if they want to ship computers. Would you have bought a Mac if they weren't capable of selling you on how good the cpu was?
Yes, and this is my point. The G5 is good and it's Apple. The Intel is everybody else.

osxisfun
Jun 6, 2005, 06:11 PM

tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 08:13 PM

I am soooo sad about not getting a G5 powerbook, I mean, come on guys, we could have had powerbooks that doubled as waffle irons ....

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 09:31 PM

I feel a bit sick…
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 09:40 PM

Well what exactly is everyone's reasoning that there won't be a G5 powerbook? Ok, they switched to Intel, big deal, so the next powerbook will be a G5 powerbook with an intel processor rather than a G5 with an IBM processor. I don't see what's so important about the "G5" name being stuck to them in the first place. They'll run cooler, the batteries will last longer (THANK GOD!!!!!!), and they'll be more compatible with the industry from what I understand, I'm still somewhat undecided about how I feel on the switch, but it can't be that bad.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 09:44 PM

since i just got my powerbook a month or so ago.. should i be kicking myself because i didnt wait for the new whatever it is apple is making?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 10:18 PM

I'm sure you can find a buyer if you don't want it anymore.

osxisfun
Jun 6, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
since i just got my powerbook a month or so ago.. should i be kicking myself because i didnt wait for the new whatever it is apple is making?

Nope. I bought one at the same time and I feel good. Next year I'll either keep or sell my PB and use the money and buy one of the new ones that have the chips in the thread i posted above.

now that's a bang for your buck upgrade!

asb819
Jun 6, 2005, 11:32 PM

I don't mind the switch too much. I trust the apple executives...

And in regards to the last couple posts, wouldn't the resell value go way down before the new models come out a year or so from now?

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 11:42 PM

And I don't think we will be getting the same innards as the rest of the computer industry. I don't think we will be getting Pentium 4's. Other Intel stuff might be cooking that made Apple go, yeah, that's where we want to be.

Dual core baby.

g

asb819
Jun 6, 2005, 11:52 PM

Right... It's called Yonah and I think someone else posted about that in this or some other thread.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 12:30 AM

trust in Yonah then.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
Nope. I bought one at the same time and I feel good. Next year I'll either keep or sell my PB and use the money and buy one of the new ones that have the chips in the thread i posted above.

now that's a bang for your buck upgrade!

how many people would be willing to buy an older model pb? its not just a different revision, but a completely new laptop right? i paid around $2300 for my pb ($2500 with tax, $2600 with the extra gig of ram). if i wanted the new laptop, i would want at least $1900. if not, im keeping this baby for another 4 years.
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
Jun 7, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by asb819
Right... It's called Yonah and I think someone else posted about that in this or some other thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=259074

osxisfun
Jun 7, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
how many people would be willing to buy an older model pb? its not just a different revision, but a completely new laptop right? i paid around $2300 for my pb ($2500 with tax, $2600 with the extra gig of ram). if i wanted the new laptop, i would want at least $1900. if not, im keeping this baby for another 4 years.

true. not as much resell as before but the upside is dual core powerbooks next year.

dual core.....

grayc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 10:52 AM

now that the power pc chip is going by the wayside will the name "power" book and "power" mac go as well, or will it be kept for convention/tradition?

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

well guess you cant win them all.
Dell 2408WFP

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 11:48 AM

they'll still be called powerbooks if you ask me.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 12:20 PM

I'm not so sure about that. They were Macintoshes in the pre-PowerPC days. The "Power" prefix definately refers to the PowerPC processor family and architecture. They will not call the new Pentium a G5. That would be misleeding in the extreme, and they would lose any credibility they might have left. Apple (and Intel) are at a quandry regarding brand image. I think with the "new" x86 architecture, they'll come up with something unique if Intel supplies a chipset unique to the MacTel. If not, then what's wrong with an Apple CentrinoBook? That's what it will be. Maybe tack on a CPU identifyer, like "Pentium® M Processor 760", or an OS identifyer, Mac CentrinoBook X or Pro or something.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 12:31 PM

The PowerBooks were called PowerBooks since they were first launched in 1991 with a 16 MHz 68HC000 (way before PPC). I think they are likely to keep the PowerBook moniker. As for the PowerMacs? It's interesting that the press releases refers to the current cop as Macintoshes which isn't generally used anywhere inside of Apple or OS X anymore. Maybe they will go back to calling them Macintoshes again, maybe not. No offense Scooterboy, but I hope you were joking about the product names you came up with.

Personally, I am hoping the PowerBooks are the first models released with the Intel chips. It makes sense since they are the most outdated Macs and stand to benefit the most from the Intel roadmap (more power per watt and all that).
-- Jason

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
If it means that we can get the battery life and performance of the mobile Intel processors, then it's a good thing. Besides, the OS is what makes a Mac a Mac, not the nuts and bolts.
Just as Steve Said. "The Soul of the Macintosh is it's OS." If Apple had been runnning on Intel all along I still would be using a Mac. Mostly for it's OS.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 7, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
If not, then what's wrong with an Apple CentrinoBook? That's what it will be.
Hell No !

Powerbook or nothing. Centrinobook my ass.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 03:57 PM

since im fairly new to the mac world, i dont really understand this mac pride. i love my powerbook and my pc has been neglected for some time now, but i dont see why some people have this cult-like love for macs.

dont get me wrong, the mac is far superior to my pc (the only time i prefer my pc over the mac is gaming, and i still prefer to game on my mac) and is a great machine. i love osx, i love the software. i think i can enjoy both worlds without hating one or the other.

i guess this is off-topic, but why is it that mac owners (not all) act this way? its almost scary at times.
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
Jun 7, 2005, 04:46 PM

give yourself 2 more months...

andersbk
Jun 7, 2005, 04:59 PM

yeah, give yourself 2 more months!

You know, everytime someone in my family or some of my friends buy a new PC i really feel sorry for them!
It's like a sad sorry feeling.

Now they have to fight viruses and crashes for several more years, and miss out on iLife ++ when they could have been on the way to computer-HEAVEN! with Apple Macintosh and OS X!!!
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz/2GB/100GB/Superdrive + 20" Cinema Display
40GB iPod Photo - 2 x LaCie D2 250GB

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 05:20 PM

true. not as much resell as before but the upside is dual core powerbooks next year.

dual core.....
I wish .....

SJ said that the bottom-of-the-line Macs would get the MacTel designation in June '06 - the rest will come in '07. You can plan on a MacTel Mini sometime after June of next year (as usual it will arrive later than initially announced, and in limited quantities), and perhaps even a single-core MacTel iBook, but the MacTel PowerMacs and PowerBooks will probably come in late 2007.

And Yonah? Yeah, I'd love to see that, too, but you can bet that Michael Dell, et.al. will have first dibs on those babies, and small-fry Intel customers like Apple will be begging for crumbs.

As frustrating as it was to see Moto, and then IBM, unable to give Apple the speed increases they/we wanted, and in the quantities they/we needed, at least we were first in line for what they had. With a worldwide market share of 2%, I just don't see Intel giving Apple much priority for their hottest commodities, e.g. Yonah.

iBorg

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 05:44 PM

I want PowerBook Longhorn.

NOW.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 07:26 PM

give yourself 2 more months...
its been a little over a month now.. i dont think i'll ever get to that point. as of now, i use my pb for very basic things (everything i can do on a pc). i want to get into video editing and start making use of the ilife software, but after buying the pb.. i have no cash for a video camera
Dell 2408WFP

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 07:44 PM

It will probably say PowerBook at the base of the screen like it does now, but with an embossed "Intel Inside" emblem (not a sticker) where the "G4" label currently is.
Yeah I was kidding about the CentrinoBook, but it's easy to come up with really bad names. And it wouldn't surprise me if CentrinoBook or YonahBook are used as nicknames for the nest PowerBook. TiBook and AlBook are pretty bad names, but that never stopped anyone from using them.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 08:00 PM

Or this already annoying MacTel crap...

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 08:33 PM

IBM was moving toward using copper in their chips. Is Intel still using aluminum? If so, why no AlMac? lol Okay, I'm just joking.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

urn311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 08:57 PM

i must have just missed it...but i don't remember jobs ever saying that a G5 powerbook was completely out of the question. I remember him saying the transition to the intel chipsets was going to begin. But i also specifically remember him saying that there were still more things to come from the powerpc chipsets. I took this to mean that it was a possibility... I was just looking for a little clarificatoin on why everyone is giving up, because i'm gonna be truly dissapointed if this is the case...

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 09:00 PM

Well, certainly Apple failed "The Mother of all challenges" of producing the PowerBook G5!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
Well, certainly Apple failed "The Mother of all challenges" of producing the PowerBook G5!
No, IBM failed in that it couldn't manufacture a mobile G5 chip. Get your facts straight.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
I tend to agree with you on that. When Apple was in discussion with IBM I presume they also included intel. To make a major change like that move to ibm/G5 was a challange, the time to move to intel was then.

Now they have a huge disruption. All of the talk of the superioty of the G5 over Pentium's is out the window and I suspect a number of Maccnn users who posted disparaging remarks towards pentiums, hyperthreading, and the like must be eating crow.

Mike

jholmes
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:52 AM

Wow. As computer enthusiasts there are a lot of idiots on here anymore.

I haven't posted in more than a year, but to show up and see this is disappointing. A Powerbook Longhorn? That would be Apple hardware running a Windows OS? How stupid is that?

Apple doesn't make the PPC chip, they were just the primary computer customer. Switching to intel will be completely transparent to the user. Some stuff will run slower - in two years when you're running a legacy PPC app on a brand new machine. So you'll pony up the $99-150 bucks for the software upgrade and be on your way.

Same things happened with system 6 to 7 and the switch to PPC. No body died, few were injured.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
No, IBM failed in that it couldn't manufacture a mobile G5 chip. Get your facts straight.
Well, the G5 chip is available, it just that Apple cannot resolve the thermal dissipation problem within the PowerBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules