Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook - black or white?

MacBook - black or white?
Franz
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 09:23 PM

What color MacBook do you like more - black or white?

It seems like everyone is buying the black one so far even though it's more expensive. Interested to see what you guys think.

White:

Black:

(Edit: this was supposed to be a poll, but I hit the back button by accident. If a mod can add the poll that would be nice ...)
( Last edited by Franz; May 16, 2006 at 09:34 PM. )

ghettochild
May 16, 2006, 09:34 PM

apple knows what kinda style whores their customers are. paying +$150 just to get the black version? please..
( Last edited by ghettochild; May 16, 2006 at 10:00 PM. )
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

nesscar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 09:34 PM

I'm going for the $1299 white version. Paying 200$ for a different paint job is ridiculous. The white one appeals to me more anyway.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 09:46 PM

That black does look sexy, but i could see it getting smeared up all the time, and the extra charge for a color really puts me back what about all the colored iMacs and iBooks, no charge there. I'd rather have a glossy black, I take extra care of my laptops, if it was gloss I'd be sold. Which ever these things will sell like hotcakes.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 10:23 PM

i like the white...i agree with star-fire, if the black was glossy, i'd like it more.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 10:43 PM

I prefer the matte for the black. Still -- bearing in mind the hard drive upgrade prices, effectively $150 for a color change . . . . . makes you wonder if there is any substantive advantage to the black, such as tougher materials.

I know I prefer the look of the black, but I think I'd actually prefer to **use** the white. Black monitor bezels are tough on the eyes, as I've discovered with my Dell flat panel. I saw somewhere on the net someone who had dissassembled his flat panel and sanded it and lacquered it white; I think I'd be doing that with the bezel of the black MacBook if not the rest of it. It's not for nothing that black bezel LCD panels are only rated TCO '99 while white and silver ones make the TCO '03 requirement.

I should add that I can't believe Apple is still shipping white cabling with the black MacBook.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 11:20 PM

I totally disagree that a black bezel is harder on the eyes than white. Black fades into the background, while white... doesn't. I bought my HDTV partially because it had a black bezel.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2006, 11:22 PM

1) White. I like the look better, and with the cheaper price it's a no-brainer.
2) Where's the poll?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 11:30 PM

White.

Frankly, it looks to me like more attention was given to designing the Macbook as a white notebook, and then they decided to paint it black as an afterthought. Very much like those aftermarket paint jobs you can get for iBooks.

In any case the white look is excellent, its a worthy successor to the industrial design of the iBook.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:50 PM

In one of the other bajillion threads about these things, someone mentioned that he might like the black so much because it reminds him of his Pismo. If I get a MacBook (I really don't need one, but then I do, y'know), I may pay the [strike]idiot[/strike] style premium for the black, and I had a Lombard PBG3 that served me admirably for many years.

I wonder if this is a pattern, i.e. perhaps people who have sentimental attachments to Wall Street/Lombard/Pismo PowerBooks (top-class machines in their day) are the ones who want the BlackBook?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 12:02 AM

I've always disliked the look of the Pismo, but that's just me. I guess that's probably why I don't like the BlacBook that much either.

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 12:31 AM

I'm actually happy that the black MacBook is a matte finish over a glossy one. With that said, I think it's dissapointing that they don't give you more computer for that extra $200 you're spending. I think a minor ram upgrade would have been a nice touch. I'm not overly dissapointed though, because already this new MacBook lineup is kickin.

As for which colour I prefer, I really need to see them both at the Apple store to have an oppinion. So far, I think the white MacBooks look better in pictures online, but that could easily change once I see them in person.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

masugu
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 12:41 AM

Am I the only one, or does the BlackBook photo above bear some resemblance to the PB G3 - just ever so slightly?

mindwaves
May 17, 2006, 12:48 AM

I would have gotten the black MacBook if it had been available for $1033 which was what I paid for mine.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 12:57 AM

i bought a white macbook. i don't like the matte black finish and i can't justify paying $200 for a different color.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 02:28 AM

The black tends to show oil left from your hands. That is the main drawback to black. Looks great when new but with a little use I think the black would look kind of ugly- parts of it would be shiny (keys) and others still matte. That said, white tends to show dirt+grime more....hmmm decisions..decisions....

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 03:07 AM

Black.

The white is glossy which makes it look like a toilet bowl.

Since money wasn't really such an issue, I got the black one.
•

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 03:15 AM

I like white, but black is just gorgeous...that matte finish looks amazing in person.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Am I the only one, or does the BlackBook photo above bear some resemblance to the PB G3 - just ever so slightly?
Yes, it does. I have a Lombard, and except for the keyboard, it looks alot like. I think the black matte Macbook looks sexy as

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 04:52 AM

How about black AND white!

I'm waiting for some smartass to buy 2 MacBooks and interchange the parts. Every second key on the keyboard could be white, then black, then white...

Ebony and ivory, side by side on my MacBook keyboard, living in harmony.

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 05:01 AM

I don't know why people are bitching about the premium for black! The premium is very deliberate.

First, car manufacturers often charge more for certain colors, especially metallic ones.

Second, it looks sexier, and will probably get you laid more often. Isn't extra sex worth the bucks!

Third, it's designed as a status symbol. Get a black one and people know you're capable of paying $150-200 bucks for no other reason than to look cool. That's what a status symbol is.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 05:23 AM

I do like the black one - it looks cool from the back with the Apple logo, but none-the-less, apart from the Apple logo, it just reminds me of any other PC notebook out there from 1999. White IS apple, and it stands out from the crowd. Everyone noticed my iBook, but I don't think the same could be said about a black MB. Before I even knew the prices I knew I had to have a white one - I just love it, so thats what i've ordered (also, I didnt need anything the blacbook offers, like faster proc, bigger HD, SD, and I don't have the money for a black one !)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

pat++
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 05:49 AM

White !!!

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Black.

The white is glossy which makes it look like a toilet bowl.

Since money wasn't really such an issue, I got the black one.

Exactly! I bought an ibook back in February and returned it. All I could think of was some bathroom accessory. I also feel bad about spending more just for black. It's too bad about $150 more for black. I would've just got the cheaper one if they made it grey or at least off white.

I agree with the post about maybe a minor upgrade in memory along with the HD to make it justifiable.
( Last edited by Heavy; May 17, 2006 at 10:48 AM. )

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 11:21 AM

I find the white looks a little on the cheap plasticy side. It's the different shades of whites used on the inside (keyboard, hinge, palm rest) and that shiny white exterior, it just looks like way too much plastic all over the chassis (IMHO).

The black on the other doesn't look cheap with its sexy matte black finish. It doesn't look like it's made out of kitchen appliance plastic. The black looks sort of 'coated' like the surface of the black Motorola PEBL. Like they dipped the MacBook in thick black gel.

While the black may show fingerprints more, they will go away when you wipe it down (am I the only one who cleans their notebooks weekly with a lightly dampened micro fiber cloth?). On the white, that coating seems to be more prone to scratches which will not go away with a cleaning.

Shininess of the touchpad and the keyboard will be the same for both. It may show up more on the black, but the white will show the sheen, as well as discoloration which isn't always removable with cleaning.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 11:28 AM

I'm glad Apple gives us the choice on this one. I find the BlacBook looks (at least from the pix) a little on the cheap plasticy side.

Actually, I'm not a huge fan of the solid white either (although I do prefer it). My fave is the original iceBook. Clear plastic, painted white on the inside.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 02:22 PM

I love the solid white. I always have. It's just modern-looking, in my opinion. Plus, it's going to look reeeeally nice next to my shiny new DS Lite come June 11.

The black is cool, but so many Windows notebooks are black, I've come to equate black with PCs. Perhaps that's unfair, but there are many who feel the same way.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 02:26 PM

I just hope Apple doesn't use this song to advertise it.

quangdiggity
May 17, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I just hope Apple doesn't use this song to advertise it.

omg LOL

that was a good one............

i would choose the white one for the price reasons..... + my nano is white, so there u go

they should have both models (1.83 + 2 ghz) should have the black or white option..... and no price difference should be there

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 02:56 PM

I lurve the black, reminds me of the Pizmo.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 03:14 PM

I really like the black one, looks like my lombard. But $200 more isn't worth it at all. I rather buy a white one and repaint it.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 03:27 PM

I liked the black one at first, then I noticed it's not glossy, then that it was more expensive and then, what really turned me back to white: one of my best friend ordered the black! Don't want to mix mine with his so I'll probably get a white one once they have been tested for a while longer (especially with some more graphic intensive softwares).

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 04:18 PM

150 $ for the black color? Steve must think we all are moronic. Not a nice move of apple

I don't care for the money. 150 - thats easily spend on a box of wine. I do that regularly. But I don't like apple to take me for a fool.

So my vote is White!
And if they don't apply anti reflective coating to the screen of the rev b Macbook my tibook will stay.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 17, 2006 at 04:28 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 04:24 PM

Nothing like an aged box of wine /irreverence

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 04:29 PM

I prefer the black in photos, but I've just bought the white (more economical, and the black was a 2 week wait !).

Actually, the white is much cleaner and whiter than any other iBook I"ve seen - I keep telling my self it looks like something out of Padmés ship in Star Wars

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
150 $ for the black color? Steve must think we all are moronic. Not a nice move of apple

I don't care for the money. 150 - thats easily spend on a box of wine. I do that regularly. But I don't like apple to take me for a fool.

So my vote is White!
And if they don't apply anti reflective coating to the screen of the rev b Macbook my tibook will stay.
Well, you might be not a fool (I prefer wine too) but there are a lot of fools out there, proof is, the black Macbooks seem to sell really well!

Maybe it does cost more to produce a matte black casing than it does for a glossy white one... but not likely a 150$ difference.
( Last edited by Jerome; May 17, 2006 at 04:56 PM. )

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Nothing like an aged box of wine /irreverence
You mean a box full of aged wine?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 04:55 PM

Just joking please resume discussion

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 04:58 PM

Some people can't believe you would spend $150 on a box of wine when they can enjoy the far cheaper stuff just as much. Or because they don't drink wine at all. It doesn't mean they think you're an idiot, they just don't understand your priorities. Point is, for some people $150 is not a big deal for what they judge to be a far better aesthetic experience, whereas others can't imagine spending even 10 bucks more on something if it doesn't bring a practical improvement.

I think $150 is too much to spend to go from shiny white to flat black, but if I get one and I like the black a lot better, I might just go for it. After all, I'm sure I don't buy laptops nearly as often as you do your boxes of wine.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2006, 05:06 PM

it's so pretty......... (white, come on i mean change is good, but white is the best.)(but the rainbow apple symbol wins out overall)

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Point is, for some people $150 is not a big deal for what they judge to be a far better aesthetic experience, whereas others can't imagine spending even 10 bucks more on something if it doesn't bring a practical improvement.
I am all for aesthetics. And I understand very well that some people might spend 150$ just for a better aesthetic experience. I just gave my personal impression. And that is: Apple marketing has had a look at the Macbooks and decided that Mac users will be dumb enough to spend more money only for the color. If the black would be 150$ more expensive to produce, I would stop immediately with my comments. But my guess it, apple counts on us prefering black (maybe they analyzed the iPod sales) and charge more for a thing that costs the same.
I don't like that! Its a little like sucking the last out of your customers.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 05:53 PM

I only wish it looked like this in black: http://flickr.com/photos/teddythebear/144986755/
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2006, 06:11 PM

Right, and then Apple gets hit with another BS class-action lawsuit over the scratches.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 06:13 PM

Well I tend to take extra care of my laptop, none of them ever had scratches or nicks, but yeah for some people I understand, should have made an option for gloss or matte Like the MBP screen.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 06:28 PM

I really like the black one, but I need to see them both in person. I'm definitely not going to pay $150 more for a color.

I'll probably wait for Rev 2 when black costs the same and the integrated graphics is gone (hopefully).

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

nickw311
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 06:28 PM

to get those scratches out usually all it takes is some brasso and some elbow grease
27" iMac C2D

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2006, 06:32 PM

I like the black because it reminds me of my first mac a 14.1" Powerbook G3 233.
Regards,
Dave

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 06:36 PM

I'll take black - but not until the initial hype dies down and Apple makes black a no-cost option. It'll happen - eventually. I hope.

I love the white, but the matte black is tasty. It reminds me of the interior of a BMW. Looks-wise I think my Pismo was my favorite laptop ever. It looked like Batman's laptop. The black MacBook captures some of that mojo.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 06:38 PM

Black is Black is Black is Black

reybart
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 07:56 PM

Go for the black!

Forum Links
Forum Rules