Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Suddenly Shuts Off - Won't Wake Up

Suddenly Shuts Off - Won't Wake Up
iKwak
Jan 4, 2004, 01:02 AM

This is for a G4 800mhz iBook.

I was using Fetch and uploading a lot of directories at once. During the uploads (after 5 minutes), the light turned low to conserve battery. Right then, the screen turned complete black and the sleep light didn't turn on.

I waited and then pressed a key, hoping it would turn on. No. The sleep light is not turned on.

I pressed the ON button and the iBook does not turn on or wakes up. The last time I saw the battery meter, it was at 2:30 minutes left.

I did not take the battery off just yet. Hoping someone knows what could have caused this to happen. This is the first time it occurred. Really sucks how it is turned off and would not turn back on when I press the ON button.

iKwak  (op)
Jan 4, 2004, 01:12 AM

I didn't install the new 10.3.2 update. I took the battery out and back on and works fine.

Is this something I can simply let is pass by?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 02:15 AM

Did it work OK when you plugged the power adapter back in?
Some iBooks have shown problems where they shut off from low battery power much sooner than they should. IIRC, resetting the power management unit is supposed to fix this. Search around the forums for more info.

iKwak  (op)
Jan 4, 2004, 02:32 AM

When I plugged the outlet, it was orange but didn't wake the iBook on or did it turn back on when I pressed ON.

I had to take the battery out and in to turn back on.

m_young
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2004, 08:13 PM

Mine did this and eventually came back after pressing and holding the power button... Only problem i've had, so i'm not complaining.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2004, 08:35 PM

As SupahCoolX said, reset the power manager unit. This should help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules