Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I should have not opt for the Extra HD and Bluetooth

I should have not opt for the Extra HD and Bluetooth
iKwak
Mar 21, 2004, 05:15 AM

I have upgraded the iBook BTO with the extra 10 GB and the Bluetooth module and as of today, I have never used the extra GB harddrive space and/or the bluetooth.

Feels as if I have waisted $65. (cheapskate I am )

Should've saved those money and bought the airport extreme card in the first place.

I don't think I am using the new iBook to the fullest potential.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 06:41 AM

You just wait a few months or years. You'll fill up your hard drive sooner or later. And if you have a cell phone, chances are bluetooth phones will be the norm before you sell the iBook (depending on how much longer you keep it). Don't worry, I think that $65 was money well spent, even if you're not using those things right now.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ghotirking
Mar 21, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by iKwak:
I have upgraded the iBook BTO with the extra 10 GB and the Bluetooth module and as of today, I have never used the extra GB harddrive space and/or the bluetooth.

Should've saved those money and bought the airport extreme card in the first place.

I don't think I am using the new iBook to the fullest potential.
Dude, 10-15 years ago, I thought to myself, "Man, I'll never use all 80M of this hard drive."
You need to download more MP3s and pr0n. That will use up that extra 10G

brianb
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 05:48 PM

Just as a side note to the blue tooth adapter. Your only chance to put one in internally is when you first purchase the iBook. Apple will not sell those adapters to put in after the fact and I am not aware of any interal third party adapters. So if you sell the iBook you very well maybe able to get a little more on the sale of your iBook down the road.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2004, 06:42 PM

I don't have a cellphone, so I don't forsee a need for Bluetooth, but the extra hard drive is a definite deal. You can ALWAYS use more hard drive space, and since you can't upgrade the drive yourself under warranty, at purchase is your only chance.

If you think you'll use the Bluetooth, then I say you did yourself a favor by spending that $65.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 06:48 PM

Imagine you're on the subway. You notice this very interesting and attractive person (if you're already involved, forget about this ). The attractive person holds up a bluetooth equiped Palm and mouths "let me send you my number." Thinking quickly, you enable Bluetooth and receive the information. "Thank goodness I spent an extra $65 for the extra drive space and Bluetooth!" you say to yourself.

Well, one can dream�

(Inspired by the Palm commercial using infrared.)
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 07:54 PM

Back in the day (9-10 years ago) a friend in college bought a PC with a 250 MHz Pentium, 16 MB RAM, and 6 GB HD. I laughed at him and said that was "way too much computer for him." Also "you will NEVER fill that hardrive." Well, his computer runs like a snail now, the HD is full, and for what he paid, he could get a dual G5 now. Times change, technology changes. ALWAYS buy the most you can at the time!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 09:32 PM

$65 for those add-ons? I'd gladly pay for that price to ugprade mine. 30GB is just too little by today's standards, and while you may find anything larger "excessive" for your taste, its better to carry a little extra rather than coming up short.

As for Bluetooth, oh its just so fun to be able to do Bluetooth communication with other computers. A friend of mine has an iBook that does not yet have an APE (and we don't like carrying ethernet cables around), so the iBook's bluetooth capabilities came to the rescue when we needed to do file transfers. While pokey at 40KBps, it was more than capable of sending out 20MB files we needed to trade.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by iKwak:

I'm interested in buying your extra 10G + BT for fifty bucks. Email me the goods and I'll reply with $50. We live in the internet age...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 03:55 PM

This is why I opted for the Powerbook over the iBook. Built in Bluetooth (I have a BT phone so it was kind of a no brainer) Double the built in memory and larger HD from factory. My original choice was the 1 GHz G4 iBook with BT module and larger HD.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

The internal bluetooth alone is worth it. I think it's nice to have the option to use a bluetooth mouse without a dongle sticking out of the side of your iBook.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by brother337:
The internal bluetooth alone is worth it. I think it's nice to have the option to use a bluetooth mouse without a dongle sticking out of the side of your iBook.
I'll second that. It was nice when I wanted to try out my M$ BT mouse. I just enabled BT on my Powerbook, paired the mouse and it was done. Nothing else to do, no dongle stickin out the side using up a port.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 02:05 PM

Note that is is a pain in the butt to upgrade the hard drive yourself, so you made the correct choice. I just sold a Powerbook G4 and one of the reasons was I needed more hard drive space and could not self install as I usually do (I know that is extreme, do dont yell at me it was only one factor).

Why dont you rent the space our to store some other folks MP3 files!!
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 03:53 PM

When/If you ever sell it, those extras will bring in a premium...

Forum Links
Forum Rules