Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon S500 (Ixus 500) or Sony DSC-W1

Canon S500 (Ixus 500) or Sony DSC-W1
ajbaker
May 7, 2004, 12:04 PM

Hi. Apologies but this is another which camera is better question.

In the market for my first digital camera. I am by no means a photo expert, and predominately require a point-and-shoot camera; with consistently good results indoors and outdoors. Size is very important as anything much bigger than the Ixus 500 or W1 will mean I am tempted to leave it at home. However I do fancy a little manual control to enable me to play when I have the time. Being a TiBook owner style is also very important which is why I have been able to narrow the choice down to the Canon S500 (Ixus 500 in the UK) or the Sony DSC-W1.

The Canon has the stich mode which sounds very interesting, and also the automatic orientation flag which is a nice touch. Also the software is touted to be very good.

The Sony however has a fantastic movie mode (640x480 at 30fps) and USB2. Not too horrified by having to use Memory Sticks. Only review available is Steves-Digicams.

Is red-eye reduction better in the Sonys (reviews mention it less for Sony than Canon)?
Can I expect better battery life out of either camera (propietary battery for Canon, NH-AA-DA for Sony)?
Is remote capture (via computer) possible with any Sony camera?
Is the W1 equivalent to another Sony that I can check reviews for?

Would be really grateful for any comments. Do ask me questions if you want: [email protected]

Thank you
( Last edited by ajbaker; May 7, 2004 at 01:03 PM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 10:12 PM

I don't know the answers to your specific questions but I have a Canon S400 (precursor to S500) and absolutely LOVE it. It is a fantastic little camera and takes phenomenal pictures. There are a lot of manual adjustments you can make use of if you so choose, otherwise just point-and-click. Although the movie mode is not as great as the Sony you mentioned, how often do you plan on taking video clips? I have used the video mode on my S400 a few times and am happy with the results. Works flawlessly with both iPhoto and Image Capture (don't even need to use Canon software except for Stitching). BTW, the stitch mode is awesome! Hope this helps...

iKwak
May 8, 2004, 04:08 AM

Both camera will be an excellent choice so it is a win-win situation for you.

MikeD
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 10:05 AM

I too have an s400 but have owned Sony's in the past. The thing for me is the CF card.... I have 1gb CF card and it's about a fraction the cost of the equivalent memory stick card. I then also have a good CF card reader (Firewire). The S400 was a great investment. Maybe wait for more reviews?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

m4rtin
May 8, 2004, 07:52 PM

I'm trying to make the same decision although the w1 is not yet available here.
From what I've read both are great cameras.

I currently have the Canon G1 but find it too big & heavy to carry everywhere so I want one of these cuties for that purpose.

I'm tempted by the Sony especially as it has the larger screen and 'normal' size batteries (cos sometimes you run out of charge and AAs are available but plugging-in is not).
On the downside I love the Panoramic Stitch Assist mode on the G1 (with PhotoStitcher finishing the job) and would like that on any new camera I get but I didn't realise the Ixus 430 or 500 had that, do they?

If I go for the Ixus then I'll probably get the 430 as the difference in spec. makes no difference to me.

I also looked at the Sony dsc-t1 which is super thin but I read that indoor shots are poor in quality; and the Sony dsc-v1 which is too big/heavy for my needs (not far off the G1 really).

Is the w1 available in UK now? I may get one shipped from the mother country as I'm an ex-pat anyway...

ajbaker  (op)
May 8, 2004, 11:11 PM

Thanks all for your comments. Especially the realsim from iKwak!

Having been into an independent retailer today I am even more confused. He mentioned lots of IXUSs have been returned faulty and Canon do not even acknowledge the fault - and yet NO mention of this anywhere online?!

m4rtin - glad Im not alone! The W1 is available in the UK mid-May. Since using a cheap 2mp Fuji several years ago I am nervous about using a camera with AAs (it lasted 10 minutes freshly charged!) but from what I can gather, the Ni AAs are much better?

Stitch Assist is available on both the 430 and 500. However having looked at the Pentax S4i today I have been informed some form of stitch assist is available on most cameras - again why no mention online?

Incidentally the Pentax was a lovely camera and even though it looks superior to the IXUS I still prefer the latter- perhaps a result of slightly more favourable reviews online.

Regards the 430 in place of 500, I'm inclined to agree.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by ajbaker:
Thanks all for your comments. Especially the realsim from iKwak!

Having been into an independent retailer today I am even more confused. He mentioned lots of IXUSs have been returned faulty and Canon do not even acknowledge the fault - and yet NO mention of this anywhere online?!

When the Ixus / Elph / S400 came out there was quite a bit of discussion on the internet about various "faults", but to be honest most were nitpicking. The only thing I've ever heard mentioned that might have some validity is its fairly limited low light focussing ability. While this could maybe be an issue if you take lots of pictures in dark rooms, it's not really too bad and there's cunning workarounds. i.e. focus on something well lit the same distance away and lock the focus.

That said, I agree completely with Mrjingleusa. I love my S400. It can be completely point and shoot, or very much manual. Although it doesn't have conventional manual controls like being able to directly set the aperture, once you get to know it you can manipulate the other settings, aperture / shutter priority, focus lock, exposure lock, ASA adjustment, metering type etc etc, to obtain virtually the same effects.

It's built very well and it's so small. You really can carry it in your pocket with you always.

Forum Links
Forum Rules