Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread

Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread (Page 23)
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:34 PM

Here is my setup...

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 02:04 AM

Nice touch of color with that stand, you make that yourself?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

gatep5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Here's my brand-spankin' new rev C 12" PowerBook (replacing my rev A) and 23" Cinema HD Display. It's hard to convey just how big this sucker is in a picture. My iPod, PDA, printer, scanner, etc are out of frame.

Is that 23in. display being run from the powerbook? If so, are you able to change the resolution to be higher than 1024x768?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2004, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by gatep5:
Is that 23in. display being run from the powerbook? If so, are you able to change the resolution to be higher than 1024x768?
Of course you can. Any of the current powerbooks can run up to a 23" cinema at its native resolution, plus the powerbook's internal screen as well.

gatep5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 10:47 AM

Of course you can. Any of the current powerbooks can run up to a 23" cinema at its native resolution, plus the powerbook's internal screen as well.
Of course, I figured that out just shortly after posting. My bad. Wish I had the money to get both of those. Maybe one day.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Nice touch of color with that stand, you make that yourself?
thanks...

Yeah, it is custom made out of copper pipe. The same stuff that carries water throughout your house. Thus it is rigid and durable as hell.

The PB sits on top of soft silicone bumpers at all four corners, thus maximizing potential airflow. I am thinking about welding/gluing a fan underneath towards the rear.

I think it kinda complements the industrial look of the Al skin.
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 20, 2004 at 12:39 AM. )

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:17 AM

really is a nice setup.

<--jealous

15 inch PB+23 inch Cinema would be absolutely amazing. Too bad it is a little bit out of my range Will have to stick with my 15 inch LCD
iamwhor3hay

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 12:43 AM

yea im thinking about picking up a 20" applecinema display for xmas....

can you run cable to it as well and use the screen as a tv when not connected with the powerbook?

if so that would kill 2 birds with one stone

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
Yeah, it is custom made out of copper pipe. The same stuff that carries water throughout your house. Thus it is rigid and durable as hell. I am thinking about welding/gluing a fan underneath towards the rear.
You should hook it up to a recirculating pump and use it as a liquid cooling heat sink thing.
Apple user since 1987

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 02:44 AM

That actually crossed my mind, until I had a vision of my built contraption frying my beloved PB due to an accidental fluid leak.

Imagine me coming home to my PB with fried electronics sitting in a puddle on my desk...

AppleCare does not have any provisions for such events...

hahahhaaaaaaaaaa.

8minute
Sep 20, 2004, 06:18 AM

I'm currently playing around with standing my pb on the side ... mini tower style!

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 08:42 AM

Looks very nice, although I'd have chosen a more substantial "stand" for the PB.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by 8minute:
I'm currently playing around with standing my pb on the side ... mini tower style!
Very nice idea 8minute!

I'd really like to try something like that myself. I'm just wondering wher I could find such a stand w/o having to buy an entire external HD.

Looking at that picture of yours I started thinking that the headless iMac already exists, it's called 12" PB.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 11:16 AM

That's a great little stand you got there, ever notice any problems while using it to its full potential on its side?

8minute
Sep 20, 2004, 07:31 PM

Yeah I agree, the stand isn't perfect and it's only a temporary thing. I was toying with the idea of standing my pb vertically as I used to do that with my work laptop. As luck would have it the stand for my ext hdd works. Actually it's an ext hdd case (so it doesn't come with a hdd) ...

I haven't had any probs so far and temp seems to be the same whether i have it vertical with lid closed or sitting down normally with lid open .... some more details in this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=228287

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

thefunkymunky
Sep 21, 2004, 03:35 PM

Here is my setup...

What mouse is that your using? I like it.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by thefunkymunky:
What mouse is that your using? I like it.
Thanks...

It is a Kensington Optical Elite. It has 5 FULLY programmable, FULLY OS X compatable buttons and a scroll wheel and if you utilize the MouseWorks software you can program 'chords' where when you press 2 buttons in tandem you can trigger another user configurable fuction. So you actually have a 7 button scroll wheel mouse. Moreiver, you can program the individual buttons for individual programs, very nice.

I actually modified it a bit by removing the mechanicals that make the scroll wheel 'click' when it is moved. Now when I scroll the wheel it is just a smooth action. I have done this modification to all of the mice I have owned.

Here are the details...

http://www.kensington.com/html/4011.html

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 10:46 PM

um i know this doesnt belong here but i have a pic i want to pst and i dont know how to put it as a file right in the post...

thanks

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by V12:
i have a pic i want to pst and i dont know how to put it as a file right in the post...
Go to ImageShack and upload the image.
Then use the resulting link to attach the image here!

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 05:31 PM

in that case i have a link from another site...its sorta big though but here it is

....btw today my powerbook is 1 week old.

also not pictured is a usb kensington laptop light i got today in the mail.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2004, 06:13 PM

Wow, that picture's too big even on my 23" cinema display... You might want to consider resizing it. Congrats on the 1 week birthday of your powerbook!

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 09:16 PM

lol thank you....yea i have no clue on resizing it, if anyone can host the pic for me cause the picture is much smaller

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2004, 10:05 PM

Just use iPhoto. Export it and select a smaller size (maybe 800 x 600).

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 12:41 AM

latest setup with a pioneer 4 channel amp and 12" sub in the back... talk about mobility...

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Alezone:
[/B]
You sure void your insurance that way... (unless you took some measure to prove that the screen turns automatically off, while driving)

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by phantomac:
You sure void your insurance that way... (unless you took some measure to prove that the screen turns automatically off, while driving)
Most in-car TVs and DVD players work while driving. They are for the passengers, not the driver.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2004, 06:15 PM

Yes, but I think that is only for ones in the back seat. If the driver can see it, it shouldn't be operational while the car is in motion.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 07:13 PM

insurance? I don't seem to have one lol~
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Alezone:
latest setup with a pioneer 4 channel amp and 12" sub in the back... talk about mobility...

http://homepage.mac.com/alezone/.Pic...Temp/truck.jpg[/img]
I just love how that's a powerbook mounted upside down o_O Awesome!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

phishindsn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
I just love how that's a powerbook mounted upside down o_O Awesome!
It doesnt even look like its mounted...more or less drapped over the visor...I hope that visor doesnt break....plus imagine your airbags launching your powerbook out your rear window or exploding in the face of the passenger

I would never ride in your car even if you had a setup like that.

|20" iMac G5 Intel iSight|12" Powerbook G4|30gig iPod R.I.P.|30gig iPod Photo|2 gig Nano|Media Reader|Nikon Coolpix 4300|

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 09:10 PM

lol thank you....yea i have no clue on resizing it, if anyone can host the pic for me cause the picture is much smaller
Goto Spymac.com 1GB free storage and posting!

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 03:20 AM

I really enjoy this thread. So many of your posts show beautiful setups. Please post more, especially of other 12" PBs in dorms.

i'd like to share the arrangement i've been playing with (too much) in my dorm. wish my iSight could take pictures but oh well!

on my desk:
-12" atop a clear iCurve stand
-pullout keyboard tray with Apple Wireless mouse and kb
-grated metal inboxes from IKEA to stay organized
-silver iPod mini in dock. sits in a dark black paper tray, with keys and wallet---the "outbox"
-AirPort Express and Samsung ML-1710 laser printer (below desk). Wireless Internet and printing

above dresser:
-20" Sony TV connected to PowerBook display and N64 via RadioShack RCA switch
-Creative 2.1 speakers connected to PowerBook for DVD/movies. 16' wires
-ATI Remote Wonder---excellent for entertaining and relaxing

I've tried many arrangements, with the goal of being able to sit back and enjoy music/movie files from my bed.

I once had my PowerBook in clamshell mode next to my TV. But I had to disconnect it to browse the web and read things, because the text is blurry on the TV (DVD's and photos look excellent).

It became too much of a hassle to connect and disconnect my PowerBook, so it's back on my desk. Although I did like the free space on my desk, which I use for reading and writing. Don't you feel like computers dominate your desk? Do any other college students want a desk without a PC on it?

Sometimes I close it all up and stash the PB12" in my desk drawer. It's also quieter at night that way.

Here's hoping for an AirPort expresss for video and an Apple TiVo so I can have media on my TV without a mess.
( Last edited by dreamBweaver; Sep 27, 2004 at 03:34 AM. )
Looking forward.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 03:31 AM

How are you changing songs and selecting DivX to play? What is the most elegant way to do this when your computer is on your TV.

BTW, I highly recommend Jacket (free) for iTunes. It's a visualizer that displays cover art automically and is highly entertaining on a TV or any display. I setup a hotkey on my remote for it.

I'm still seeking a nice interface that's graphical and got big icons, like TiVo. I'd like to select movies and tv (DivX) by cover art or something. I have an ATI remote wonder too. My iTunes is controlled by the play/ff/rewind keys on it. And in DVD player the same works. But launching the media and selecting particular songs is hard. I can't make out the names of the songs in iTunes or the file names for videos.
Looking forward.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
I really enjoy this thread. So many of your posts show beautiful setups. Please post more, especially of other 12" PBs in dorms.

i'd like to share the arrangement i've been playing with (too much) in my dorm. wish my iSight could take pictures but oh well!
dream, get ye here

http://www.dekorte.com/Software/OSX/CamGrabber/

and take some pix of that badboy for us and lets see your most mago pbook

dabigdawg
Sep 30, 2004, 04:33 PM

heaven no this thread go to another page - BUMP
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Sarc
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 07:00 PM

[B]Here is my setup...

could you please post a pic. of the stand w/o the PB ?
I can't see how it stays in it's place ...

thx.

great stand btw.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 03:16 AM

This is my humble setup during vacation (sorry for the crappy image quality)

(click for the full size version)

� 12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 768MB RAM, rev b
� 20" Apple Cinema Display
� Apple Pro Keyboard (graphite)
� Logitech Optical Mouse
� LaCie D2 120GB external FW disk (not pictured)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 11:36 AM

Glad to see that the 12" Rev B driving a 20"/23" Apple display. I always hated the fact that I'm stuck with only 32MB of VRAM which would split in half when using both displays, but then I figured if I would really need a 12" display at all when I have a 20"/23" display smack dab in front of me, would seem a little pointless.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Glad to see that the 12" Rev B driving a 20"/23" Apple display. I always hated the fact that I'm stuck with only 32MB of VRAM which would split in half when using both displays, but then I figured if I would really need a 12" display at all when I have a 20"/23" display smack dab in front of me, would seem a little pointless.
Yeah, I don't need spanning with the 20" screen.

The 12" really has the potential to give you the best of both worlds: ultra-portable when on the go, full-featured when at the desk.

ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 05:56 PM

Here is my college set up (Toronto Film School)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
could you please post a pic. of the stand w/o the PB ?
I can't see how it stays in it's place ...

thx.

great stand btw.

Thanks...

Basically it stays inplace with the aid of silicone bumpers that I stuck onto the copper. One in eac h corner. I then place the PB on top of the stand. The PB is actually resting on thte silicone bumpers and not on its own rubber feet. It stays put, and it allows as much air as possible to get underneath the machine.

The silicone bumpers are self adhesive and can be bought at any hardware store, and are most often used to 'cushion' the 'closing action' of drawers and cupboards.

silver10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 09:02 AM

Taken with my phone, hence poor quality.

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 11:53 AM

Here's my setup with my new desk:

LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
15 inch PB+23 inch Cinema would be absolutely amazing. Too bad it is a little bit out of my range Will have to stick with my 15 inch LCD [/B]
30" Cinema would be nicer.... :drools:

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 06:08 PM

in that case i have a link from another site...its sorta big though but here it is

....btw today my powerbook is 1 week old.

also not pictured is a usb kensington laptop light i got today in the mail.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg
nice panasonic stereo...

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Biggerfoot:
nice... but is spongebob really all that relevant

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 06:18 PM

Storer, do you have to have a separate reply for each setup to tell them that it's "nice"? And that picture with the laptops and Spongebob was posted over a year ago, on the first page.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Storer, do you have to have a separate reply for each setup to tell them that it's "nice"? And that picture with the laptops and Spongebob was posted over a year ago, on the first page.
it's a cute picture, though

ehh here's my dual screen setup whenever I need it. definitely not as pretty as some of these people's, but hey, the LCD is 4 years old and it works. changed mice to a logitech MX500 since then.

iamwhor3hay

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 10:14 PM

last pic from me was on an ironing board. my powerbook has found a new home! dont need to hear stupid comments about the desktop wallpapers. if you dont know what it is, you dont qualify to comment

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2004, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by storer:
30" Cinema would be nicer.... :drools:
Nope, the screen would be pitch black.

No existing PowerBook supports the 30" ACD because their GPUs don't do DDL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules