Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Keyboard for a 12"

New Keyboard for a 12"
Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 12:42 PM

I was wondering if there were any companies out there that sold alternate keyboards for a 12" Rev C Powerbook given that you can simply take it right off, reconnect a different one to the logic board, and (I'm assuming) have it work just fine. The stock one Apple supplies is too... clackety. If you have a typing speed of anything over 60WPM it sounds like an old-style typewriter and is extremely disturbing. I want something quieter and preferably more sturdy like the one IBM includes with their Thinkpad series. Any leads?

(Yes, I know I can just buy an external keyboard. That would kind of defeat the point of a laptop in the first place.)

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 2, 2004, 05:48 PM

I don't think it is that easy to remove the keyboard. It at least needs two keycaps to be popped off, and some screws to be undone. It's not needed to be removed to access the ram slot anymore, you see.

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
I don't think it is that easy to remove the keyboard. It at least needs two keycaps to be popped off, and some screws to be undone. It's not needed to be removed to access the ram slot anymore, you see.
I know. I've done it before when replacing my HDD.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2004, 09:48 PM

TouchStream MacNTouch keyboard.

Installing 12" keyboard is relatively easy compared to 15" or 17". See pdf's on their site.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:

Installing 12" keyboard is relatively easy compared to 15" or 17". See pdf's on their site.
Well, it's nice. And great. And perfect. And yet... I kind of take issue with the fact that it costs about a fifth as much as the laptop itself. Woe is me, for I am a starving college student.

Any cheaper alternatives? I don't really have need for anything as intuitive and customizable as the keyboard shown above. Thanks for the suggestion though.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
The placement of the delete button as 1/2 of the spacebar is slightly disturbing.

As far as keyboard replacements, I don't know of any, so sorry; but I don't really find the keyboard all the noisy and I usually type pretty fast. It is one of the quietest keyboards I've had, and you could have much worse. It doesn't "clang" unless you bang on the keys; a light touch is all it takes to press a key.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 04:57 PM

haha i thought this would be a rumor of a new pb12 lighted keyboard or something .. with all the rumors floating around about revision d

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 12:05 PM

I know adding an iSkin keyboard protector is a cheap alternative to muffling the sound. It'll still be there but much less sound will be heard. It runs cheap to other alternatives and protects your PB incase you spill anything near it.

Click Here for iSkin
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules