Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Siemens S66 BT with Mac OS X? Razr too?

Siemens S66 BT with Mac OS X? Razr too?
Nelsun
Jun 30, 2005, 12:57 AM

Just looking for advise, I started a new job and was just issued a new Siemens S66 cell phone. I use my own 17" Powerbook at work whilst waiting for the delivery of a G5. For fun, since I've never had a BT phone before, in fact, this is my first new cell phone in 6 years, (believe it or not), I tried to pair it with my new G5 at home. (Coincidence that I got the new G5 at home)

This was my first attempt to pair a cell phone with a Mac. I did do it. Tried iSync, but it said that my phone was not compatible with iSync. Did I just do it wrong or is this a situation where iSync will best be done via USB? Just want to synch up with my Entourage address book. I plan to finally upgrade my personal phone with a Moto Razr and I've seen some post here that that phone is now able to use iSync via BT, is that right?

Thank you for any insights!

Nelsun

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 04:57 PM

Here is where you want to look for compat. with iSync: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

However, I strongly recommend a device that works with Salling Clicker. You can find more info about that product at http://www.salling.com/. I just got a RAZR V3 for my wife (stay at home), since it's free after rebate, but it isn't very smart, though thin, and can't work with Salling Clicker. When I physically walk away from the desk with my Sony Ericsson T637 it changes my iChat status, locks my screen, stops my mail checking, mutes sound, stops music, etc. These are just some of the uses of the product, but as I mention, I'd just look into phones there.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 07:41 PM

I love my Siemens S65 - best phone I've ever had.

but it really burns me that it simply won't work with iSync (yet). My S55 worked perfectly, and the S65 worked at least partially under Panther, but Tiger killed functionality for unsupported phones entirely.

I can still transfer files back and forth via Bluetooth, but that's it.

Nelsun  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the replies, I was begining to wonder if anyone had this phone!

Looks like that Salling Clicker is not going to work with my phone, oh well. Anyone else been able to synch up an S66 with a Mac?

Thanks!

Nelsun  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 02:17 AM

Update-

I was fooling around with the bluetooth and iSynch on my Powerbook which is still on Panther. I paired the Powerbook with the Siemens S66 cell phone. I then was able to use iSynch and I successfully transferred the addresses from the Powerbook Address book to the S66.

Yes, hopefully 10.4.2 will resolve this functionality.

Recto Bold
Jul 9, 2005, 06:17 AM

FWIW I would not recommend a Razr V3. It's a lovely phone to look at and is slim and easy to carry, which is what I wanted, however it's beauty is purely skin deep. Underneath lurks the clumsiest, most ill thought out OS this side of Windows. Imagine this - Every single contact's number is saved separately. So, since my friend Adam has 3 numbers in his v-card, his name appears 3 times in the 'phone's address book. Since most of my customers have 4-6 numbers, I have to scroll through hundreds of names just to get to the one I want. You can only select the first letter of someone's name as-well with the pad. When syncing, the notes attached to iCal Calendars do not transfer either - That means all my flight and hotel details are gone. Then there's the talk time - It's very poor. Actually use the phone and you'll need to get charging pretty quick. I had always used Sony Ericsson but after the disgraceful bluetooth performance of the P900 I fancied a change. I am starting to regret it now, to be honest. Finally, it seems to only sunc via USB although since 10.4 I have not tried BT syncing, so maybe that works now.

Such a shame, as the phone is a real beauty and it's form factor is the perfect size for me.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 06:38 AM

dunno about you, but I loved the OS on my motorola phone. Sony and Nokia's symbian phones are great, but VERY hard to come by, and usually either really weird or really expensive offerings at that. Something about Sony being a bunch of haughty morons that think everything that comes out of their asian butts is gold too good for us lowly Americans to touch!

Nokia ... well they don't really care I don't think. Sailing clicker sounds great, but yeah I aint paying $200-500 for a phone that can use it.
Aloha

Recto Bold
Jul 9, 2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Link
dunno about you, but I loved the OS on my motorola phone. Sony and Nokia's symbian phones are great, but VERY hard to come by, and usually either really weird or really expensive offerings at that. Something about Sony being a bunch of haughty morons that think everything that comes out of their asian butts is gold too good for us lowly Americans to touch!

Nokia ... well they don't really care I don't think. Sailing clicker sounds great, but yeah I aint paying $200-500 for a phone that can use it.
Funny how different people prefer different things. I really love the Sony/Ercisson to be honest. I live in the UK so not sure about your comments regarding Sony and the US market. Getting hold of any SE product here that is current is very easy - There's plenty of choice. P910's etc. are all tena penny. I do know that SE are hopeless about releasing new stuff on time though. If they had released the stuff they said they would then I would have not been buying a V3, although I'd have lusted after it still...... So, do you not find that whole thing about listing every single number separately in the number list annoying? To me it just clutters everything up and to lose my notes associated with calendars just makes my life even more awkward. I got rid of my Palm and my SE T68i for a P900 thinking it would do the job of both, but it was too big and heavy to carry around (I travel a lot). I still have the P900 - Maybe it syncs properly now that Tiger is around. As for Nokia, I gave up on them years ago. I had 3 as did my wife and on 4 out of the 6 the screens died. Built in shelf life!

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 11:26 AM

RAZR V3 works great on 10.4. It's really just a personal perference about the OS. The RAZR V3 has ups and downs vs. the Sony Ericsson T637 I use and my Danger hiptop. There are certainly a lot of phones that you can get free after rebate or with contract that works with Salling Clicker.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 10:38 PM

I've finally got the S65 SYNCING PERFECTLY!

Download this: http://homepage.mac.com/spheric/S65_iSync_mod.zip

Then, find iSync and control-click on it to "Show Package contents" and navigate to
/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist

This is the file you want to replace with the edited MetaClasses.plist in the folder you've downloaded.
(should anything go haywire, I've included the original unedited version as MetaClasses.plist.original)

If you have an S66, you will want to use this plist instead:
http://www.doubleguitars.com/MetaClasses.plist.zip

Thanks to howardforums, where I found this tip:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...61#post5444061

<rant>
All this is is changing TWO ****ING CHARACTERS in the property list file!
It simply changes two instances of "S55" to "S65", so iSync will recognize and accept the S65, but treat it like an S55 - the phone gets the S55 icon in iSync, but Calendars and Address Book will sync up perfectly, regardless - INCLUDING Umlauts and special characters, which DIDN'T work in Panther.

Apple is taking OVER A WHOLE ****ING YEAR to add support for this phone to iSync, when all that need be done is edit TWO ****ING DIGITS!?

I cannot. ****ing. believe. this. crap.
</rant>

Ah well, at least it works great now - I'm stoked.

-s*

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Here is where you want to look for compat. with iSync: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

However, I strongly recommend a device that works with Salling Clicker. You can find more info about that product at http://www.salling.com/. I just got a RAZR V3 for my wife (stay at home), since it's free after rebate, but it isn't very smart, though thin, and can't work with Salling Clicker. When I physically walk away from the desk with my Sony Ericsson T637 it changes my iChat status, locks my screen, stops my mail checking, mutes sound, stops music, etc. These are just some of the uses of the product, but as I mention, I'd just look into phones there.
actually you can get alot of that stuff done on a RAZR with BluePhoneElite from reelintelligence.com and you get the benefit of the snazziest phone on the market

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
<rant>
All this is is changing TWO ****ING CHARACTERS in the property list file!
It simply changes two instances of "S55" to "S65", so iSync will recognize and accept the S65, but treat it like an S55 - the phone gets the S55 icon in iSync, but Calendars and Address Book will sync up perfectly, regardless - INCLUDING Umlauts and special characters, which DIDN'T work in Panther.

Apple is taking OVER A WHOLE ****ING YEAR to add support for this phone to iSync, when all that need be done is edit TWO ****ING DIGITS!?

I cannot. ****ing. believe. this. crap.
</rant>

Ah well, at least it works great now - I'm stoked.
It's sometiems frightening how Microsoft-like Apple can get. This is a perfect example...
Btw., I hope your phone will still work after 10/01/05. Maybe you'll have to change all S to BenQ

-t

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Recto Bold
FWIW I would not recommend a Razr V3. It's a lovely phone to look at and is slim and easy to carry, which is what I wanted, however it's beauty is purely skin deep. Underneath lurks the clumsiest, most ill thought out OS this side of Windows. Imagine this - Every single contact's number is saved separately. So, since my friend Adam has 3 numbers in his v-card, his name appears 3 times in the 'phone's address book. Since most of my customers have 4-6 numbers, I have to scroll through hundreds of names just to get to the one I want. You can only select the first letter of someone's name as-well with the pad. When syncing, the notes attached to iCal Calendars do not transfer either - That means all my flight and hotel details are gone. Then there's the talk time - It's very poor. Actually use the phone and you'll need to get charging pretty quick. I had always used Sony Ericsson but after the disgraceful bluetooth performance of the P900 I fancied a change. I am starting to regret it now, to be honest. Finally, it seems to only sunc via USB although since 10.4 I have not tried BT syncing, so maybe that works now.

Such a shame, as the phone is a real beauty and it's form factor is the perfect size for me.
The unlocked version of the phone (could possibly work on a regular version too) is quite capable of displaying multiple numbers, email addresses, etc. under one name. You have to set the phonebook to display with pictures. Then it will work. Same with iCal. On my phone I have no problem displaying any notes aong with the calander event. I get good battery life from mine and have absolutley no problems with BT syncing. With the rumored version of mobile tools for the mac coming that should make this a good all around phone.

You have to be aware that the carriers disable more features than you can possible imagine. Oe big one they take away is EDGE capability. Have never seen a US phone with it working but using the flex for a UK phone and the feature is there. Unlock the phone or complain to your carrier for disabling features on a phone you spent good money for.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by southtdi
The unlocked version of the phone (could possibly work on a regular version too) is quite capable of displaying multiple numbers, email addresses, etc. under one name. You have to set the phonebook to display with pictures.
you don't need to set it to picture view, you just need to go to address book>setup>view>primary contacts.

then you can click right or left to view the diff. numbers for each entry.

at that point you can view by pictures or by list.

btw, for those of you that don't know or don't have a PC, there's new software (flash file) for the phone that bumps up the memory, speeds up navigation, improves picture previews, and even adds VIDEO RECORDING.

I've also removed all my cingular branding on the phone, and replaced it with custom startup/shutdown animations and sounds, as well as replaced the outside LCD's .gif that displays while the phone is open.
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Sep 3, 2005 at 06:16 AM. )
ice

kreddy05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2005, 04:59 AM

Hey guys, I know this is a little off-topic, but is anyone selling their Razr V3, Moto E398, or S65/66?

PM me if you are, I'm interested. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules