Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Getting scratches out of a G5 case.

Getting scratches out of a G5 case.
Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 10:52 AM

I have several scratches on the side of my G5's case. They aren't feelable, you can't feel them if you run your finger over them, but they almost seem to be from something like a crayon, black. I can't get them out. I have already tried Fantastic, and Windex. Does anyone know of a solution, brand name, or ingredient I can look for that could get it out. Perhaps even polish?

I know it sounds stupid, but how about steel wool?

These scratches were not made by me, I do not know how they got there, they were on the G5 from the previous owner.

Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 11:08 AM

Steel wool? Are you kidding? steel wool = serious scratches.

I have some scratches on my G5 that sound similar to the kind you have described. I don't know how they got there, but they're only visible if they're in the right light, and even then they're only on the left side of the case that I never see. I too have thought about it, but I don't think it's worth the bother. However, if you want to try a product I'd go for the ones that are recommended for iPods, and in particular, their metallic backs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 12:07 PM

I'm pretty sure, even though you'd think this wouldn't be the case, that there's a layer of paint on the Aluminium that gives it the silver colour. Unless you can find what Apple, or whoever manufacters the cases for Apple, use to coat the Alloy, then you're pretty much out of luck in terms of cleaning products.

onlyone-jc.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2007, 07:00 PM

Those marks are typically from the rubber or something from shoes, they get kicked and scuffed when under desks. I got them out with a good scrubbing brush, water and washing up liquid but then again, this was a plastic gateway pc.

I'd give magic erasers a try, they do wonders.

dabigdawg
Mar 26, 2007, 06:36 PM

Apple iPod Accessories, Remove Scratch from iPod, Ice Creme - Radtech Products
says for bright metal so not sure how it would work with the g5 but maybe worth a try.
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules