Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook airplane trouble

macbook airplane trouble
Malus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 11:59 AM

Hello all,

Several days ago I was on 3 hour domestic flight between Salt Lake City and St. Louis. I had been looking forward to using my new (1 month old) macbook during the flight, however, upon waking it from sleep, the machine began to exhibit what appeared to be disc access issues, related to altitude or perhaps pressure(?).

I had mainly planned to watch videos stored on the hard disk, some at 704*396, others at 1024*576. The 1024 videos played absolutely abysmally, with so much skipping, dropped frames, and long pauses as to make the video basically unwatchable. The 704 videos played better, but still had enough issues with pausing and skipping as to make the experience somewhat unpleasant (albeit watch-able).

Anyway, thinking it was some weird wake from sleep issue I restarted my machine; only to have it seemingly refuse to boot up, getting stuck at the white screen with apple logo and spinning, well, whatever you call it. I restarted several times all to the same effect (I waited several minutes each time).

Here's where things get weird. I then attempted to reboot into Windows XP and lo and behold, in very limited testing (I watched one 50 minute 704*396 video), it seemed to work just as it should, with no skipping, pausing, or dropped frames.

I then tried rebooting into OS X again, and realized that it WILL boot it just took like 3 minutes to get past the white apple logo screen and another 2 minutes or so after that. While I was able to use OS X, it still had the same issues as before, and I further discovered that the larger the video file the worse the problems got (iMovie was completely unusable with DV video).
Anyway, as soon as I got on the ground, I woke the macbook up, and, to my relief(?) it worked fine with no issues. Now, while I'm not so worried about my return flight to Portland (St. Louis-Salt Lake-Portland), I am flying from Seattle to Japan in about a week and a half and, considering its a 10 hour flight, would like to get this sorted out by then.

Some further notes:

ALL of the videos I attempted to play work fine under better battery life settings when running from battery power under normal conditions.

I tried the videos (and iMovie) in both better battery life and better performance modes during the flight. While the better performance mode did seem to help a little bit (especially with smaller files), it didn't really alleviate the problems.

I had near a full charge when I started the flight.

I did leave the computer in sleep mode when it went through security, and it went through the first 1 hour flight without being opened.

I flew on Southwest Airlines at about 30,000 feet.

I will be flying on United to Japan.

I have upgraded from the stock 80GB Hard Drive to a 160GB Western Digital.

Other (relevant) Specs; 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB Ram, latest revision, 1 month old.

Any help/thoughts/etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry for being so long winded.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 01:21 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. Back up your data and take it to an Apple store ASAP.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Forum Links
Forum Rules