Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini as a home server...

Mac Mini as a home server...
AltecXP
Feb 14, 2010, 02:17 PM

I've been debating getting a Mac Mini as a headless web/file server for my house running 10.6 (I have a license for Server but I think that would be over kill), that I can remote manage from my MacBook. I would be hooking up an external drive for storage and later will figure out a back-up solution (suggestions?) I'll have it running either in my closet or on my entertainment table next to my XBox hidden behind my TV. Also how easy are they to upgrade? HDD/RAM wise?

So to sum up, I'm looking at the $599 version, and adding external drives for storage, and am not sure on a back-up solution yet.

Can anyone give me a few suggestions? thanks.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2010, 02:53 PM

Upgrading the Mac mini RAM and HDD is a little unorthodox, but not too hard. Requires the use of a 3" putty knife. There are plenty tutorials online.

Time Machine should be fine for backup.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

AltecXP  (op)
Feb 15, 2010, 12:50 AM

Well right now I have a 1TB drive full of files that would be on the file server part of it + about another 25-30GB that SHOULD be on it. My real question I guess is. How would I add more storage, and how would I back it up?

2TB MyBook storage and another 2TB MyBook with time machine? I'm starting to think that the inability to give them cheap storage is their down fall as a server.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010, 02:08 PM

Get something with firewire and your worries about storage evaporate. I think by the time you hit the limit of how many firewire drives you can daisy chain together you'll see 50tb drives in one single unit.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

MacPC
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2010, 10:52 PM

I use my Mac mini as a server as well. It is a ftp server, web server, a print server, a media server, ( iPhoto, music and video) Here is my set up. the mac is an older model so the internal drive has only 80G, but I got a 500g external USB drive where I store all my server related files. To me that makes more sense since I can carry the external anywhere. Anyhow, regarding your question about back up, I prefer SuperDuper over Time Machine, basically you can make a complete bootable clone of you main drive so in case of emergency, you still have a complete working drive. You will need another drive with the same or greater capacity for the clone. The down side of SuperDuper is that it could take a long time to clone your main drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules