Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Romney incapable of remorse

Romney incapable of remorse
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 01:26 AM

You've probably already heard this story: Mitt Romney was a prep school bully.

Now, I don't think the way Rmoney behaved as a high school student is necessarily related to the kind of person he is today. We all did bad sh!t when we were kids, though I never did anything close to cutting hair off a screaming kid who was being held down by my friends. But I am still pretty shocked by this story.

But I am more shocked by that fact that Rmoney is still completely incapable of apologizing for this incident. He can't say something as simple as "I did a bad thing, and I feel bad for doing it." No, he gives the classic non-apology:

Originally Posted by Obviously Insincere Mitt Romney
And if anyone was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that.
IF? IF? IF? Are you a fncking psychopath, Mitt? Of course someone was offended: the fncking kid whose hair you cut while he was screaming on the ground!

Bullying is a now considered a serious issue. Perhaps Mitt should consider that. But then again, animal abuse is now considered serious, but he remains unrepentant about that too.

This is what Rmoney needs to do: hold a press conference, tell us in detail about the time he brutally bullied a fellow student by cutting his hair while his sycophantic friends held him down, that it was all his own idea in the first place, and offer a proper, sincere apology to the now-deceased John Lauber for making his school life a living hell. And he should speak directly to the youth of America, telling them that bullying is completely unacceptable.

But this won't happen, because Rmoney is who he is: an unrepentant sociopath.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 01:41 AM

Here's the real knee-slapper: Rmoney originally claimed he didn't remember that this happened. There's only two ways to interpret that memory lapse: he lied, or he really didn't recall being a brutal bully in prep school and needed someone to help remember the event.

BTW, I don't think the reveal of this bullying event in the same week as Obama's public support of gay marriage is a coincidence. The Obama people have clearly been holding onto this story for a long time, and now is the best time to release it. We should expect several embarrassing revelations about Romney leading up to the election. The Obama campaign has their sh!t locked down tight this time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 01:44 AM

If Romney did this stuff obviously shame on him, but why should I give a shit? This is a non-issue to me. His history of being a bully has no bearing on his ability to be president - none, whatsoever.

We need to focus on issues that matter.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 01:48 AM

To be fair, he did say he did stupid things, which is half of the "I did a bad thing, and feel bad for it" construction.

I would however say the rest of the quote is pretty good evidence he doesn't feel particularly bad about it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If Romney did this stuff obviously shame on him, but why should I give a shit? This is a non-issue to me. His history of being a bully has no bearing on his ability to be president - none, whatsoever.

I'd say the incident itself is pretty irrelevant, but how he handles it has some relevance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'd say the incident itself is pretty irrelevant, but how he handles it has some relevance.
How?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:15 AM

It shows the measure of the man.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 02:21 AM

besson3c, you don't think a lack of remorse for being a bully is relevant? You don't think the fact that he brushed it off as a mere prank displays something about Rmoney's lack of character?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:22 AM

It shows the measure of the man.
About as well as assessing how passionate an athlete is about their sport based on how often they smile when performing, or whether or not Michael Jackson did stuff with little boys.

These are intangibles, and they are too shaded by subjective measures. There are plenty of tangibles to work from, why don't we work from those instead? Granted, these tangibles will be shaded by bias and subjectivity too, but at least the framework for conversation can be based on actual concrete data.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:27 AM

Meh. I'll take both.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
besson3c, you don't think a lack of remorse for being a bully is relevant? You don't think the fact that he brushed it off as a mere prank displays something about Rmoney's lack of character?
I think it displays something about his character if true, but a) we can never know what is actually true so this is a complete waste of time, and b) it doesn't matter anyways in terms of how voters should come to their ultimate decision.

We are knee deep in irrational emotional thinking and assigning too much value to intangibles, this is just throwing gas on the fire.

Don't you think with Obama eating dogs, Romney putting dogs on roofs, and a list of "what does this say about their character" stuff that we could probably collectively come up with a screenful of text for that we have enough of this stuff?

Emotional campaign issues are crazy annoying.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:29 AM

Meh. I'll take both.
You've got plenty of fluffy stuff to work with, and these campaigns are sadly only just getting started.

Can we at least agree that it would be nice if this stuff could be tempered? Were you really into the dog issues?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:33 AM

The Washington Post claims they talked to a bunch of witnesses, who all corroborated.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:36 AM

You've got plenty of fluffy stuff to work with, and these campaigns are sadly only just getting started.

Can we at least agree that it would be nice if this stuff could be tempered? Were you really into the dog issues?
I can't say it endeared him to me.

OTOH, if I was trying to wrangle five kids, I probably wouldn't mind putting one of them on the roof.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:40 AM

The Washington Post claims they talked to a bunch of witnesses, who all corroborated.
So?

Is being a nice guy for an entire lifetime a requirement for being a successful president? Have all other past presidents been nice people?

Who cares.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 02:42 AM

I can't say it endeared him to me.

OTOH, if I was trying to wrangle five kids, I probably wouldn't mind putting one of them on the roof.

But Obama eating dog meat was okay?

See, this is the slippery slope... You start asking yourself which of these fluffy issues really matters to you and why, and it is so easy to lose track of the fact that none of these issues really matter anyway.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 03:03 AM

Strong, and oftentimes overbearing, personalities are the ones typically most interested in running for public office. One of our worst high school bullies is now our county commissioner. I hated him back then, but now he's relaxed and seems to have put it behind him.

I'd be willing to bet Teddy Roosevelt wasn't the most passive of teens growing up, and Al Gore was a real asshole in his younger days. The most important thing, of course, is how they behave now, and I've not gotten the impression that Mitt's any more of a jerk than anyone else who's run for president.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 03:12 AM

But Obama eating dog meat was okay?
Yes.

Cultural food prejudices are inherently meaningless. Whether a person eats or doesn't eat dogs, or pigs, or horses, or cattle has no significance whatsoever, except in cases where the animals are in danger of extinction.

See, this is the slippery slope.
Not even close.

We are knee deep in irrational emotional thinking and assigning too much value to intangibles, this is just throwing gas on the fire.
School bullying is not an intangible, and concern about it is not "irrational emotional thinking." The fact that Rmoney can't deal honestly with an important educational issue is extremely relevant politically.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; May 11, 2012 at 03:20 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 03:18 AM

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with you guys on this.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 03:24 AM

Well, we can add another Rmoney flip-flop to the list: he was in favour of bullying before he was against it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 03:35 AM

So?
It was a response to "I think it displays something about his character if true, but a) we can never know what is actually true so this is a complete waste of time".

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 11, 2012, 07:17 AM

It's SwiftBoating, only with more acne. Is he Kerry's long-lost twin brother or something?

andi*pandi
May 11, 2012, 12:10 PM

It shows a certain level of character. Nothing against strong personalities, but I want a President to be protective of his fellow citizens. You can be strong without being a jackass.

Could he have evolved past this? Possibly. But his apology was insincere and perfunctory. That is perhaps a technique to belittle the issue entirely rather than give it credence.

Surprised this never came out in any other election.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 01:21 PM

<i>Washington Post</i> Romney Hit Piece Implodes

I hate Romney just like any other guy, but it seems this whole story is election propaganda, nothing else.

-t

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You're using Breitbart, the slimiest rightwing blog on the internet, as a source for something? I now need to go wash my eyeballs with turpentine after going there.

And Breitbart's two corrections are meaningless. There were several witnesses to the hair cutting incident, so the fact that a single person was misidentified as being present changes nothing, and the "correction" about the family just says they weren't aware of it before now and it wasn't responsible for ruining his life, which the article didn't claim anyway.

This story has not "imploded." Like the dog incident, this will "dog" Rmoney permanently.

EDIT: this site says it was only the sister who claimed to be unaware of the incident, and she was away at college at the time.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; May 11, 2012 at 03:08 PM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 11, 2012, 03:14 PM

<i>Washington Post</i> Romney Hit Piece Implodes

I hate Romney just like any other guy, but it seems this whole story is election propaganda, nothing else.

-t
So was the Swift Boat thing. It doesn't matter.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 05:29 PM

Oh what's the big deal. When I was a pup, we got spanked by Presidents till the cows came home. Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non-consecutive occasions.

I'd be wary of electing a president who wasn't a bully. Bully for them!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
When I was a pup...
The President ated me.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2012, 08:56 PM

An incident of bullying or hazing or whatever it was and his actions today regarding the allegations no more defines who Romney is than cocaine use defines Obama. The reason outlets look for these type of "gotchas" is specifically because there is no right way to handle them. You know it's preposterous when besson3c and I agree on something.

Feigned disgust... next?
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 09:34 PM

Unless Romney was high on cocaine while he bullied somebody, and then had sex with a bard yard animal then maybe I'd care...

So would turtle777, he's into that sort of stuff.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 11:27 PM

It's called a non-apology. In Romney's defense, all politicians do that.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's called a non-apology. In Romney's defense, all politicians do that.
Not Bill Taft.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 11:43 PM

So Mitt Romney bullies other kids in high school.
Mitt Romney scares the sh*t (literally) out of a dog by putting it on top of a moving car.
Mitt Romney enjoys firing people.
Mitt Romney thinks it's extremely funny that his dad laid out thousands of workers.

If Mitt Romney tortures animals in his backyard, I'll be worried.

That would be signs that Mitt Romney is 'incapable of remorse' and has the makings of a serial killer.

Mitt Romney is incapable of feeling guilt, remorse, or empathy. In order words, a psychopath or sociopath.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 11:51 PM

Suddenly it all makes sense now!

Mitt Romney flip flops so often and on every issue is because he is a manipulative sociopath.

Remember, Mitt Romney says he should be credited for bailing out GM and saving the auto industry just a few days ago. Haha... what a psychopath.

Could Mitt Romney Be A Psychopath? (Serious Question) - YouTube
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
or he really didn't recall being a brutal bully
This shouldn't be surprising. He doesn't recall being pro-choice, pro-state health insurance, or pro-gay marriage either.

(I don't recall stealing this from reddit)
( Last edited by subego; May 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 01:58 PM

Unless Romney was high on cocaine while he bullied somebody, and then had sex with a bard yard animal then maybe I'd care...

So would turtle777, he's into that sort of stuff.
Can't stop baiting me, can you ?

-t

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
May 12, 2012, 02:42 PM

Kind of amazing that the Post would spend the time and $ to track down "many" who would corroborate the claim against Romney. I'm not voting for the guy, but this is BS. I'm not quite as old as he is, but I certainly couldn't tell you a fraction of the crap I pulled as a kid. I side with him on this if he said I don't recall.

Totally irrelevant anyway.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 02:47 PM

Can't stop baiting me, can you ?

-t

I figure if there is going to be unnecessary confrontation in the PWL, it should be of the humorous kind.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
Kind of amazing that the Post would spend the time and $ to track down "many" who would corroborate the claim against Romney. I'm not voting for the guy, but this is BS. I'm not quite as old as he is, but I certainly couldn't tell you a fraction of the crap I pulled as a kid. I side with him on this if he said I don't recall.

"I beat-up so many people in high-school, I don't know how you expect me to remember all of them."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 02:53 PM

Who. Cares.

At the end of the day, it matters none.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 03:40 PM

When it comes right down to it, do you really think this story has the staying power to complain about the fact it exists?

If more important issues don't get covered in the six month marathon until this thing is over, it's not this story's fault.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 03:45 PM

When it comes right down to it, do you really think this story has the staying power to complain about the fact it exists?

If more important issues don't get covered in the six month marathon until this thing is over, it's not this story's fault.

It's our fault for allowing this story to survive as long as it has, and to overshadow more important stories. If we all took my attitude of not giving a fence about this sort of stuff, it wouldn't be crammed down our throats. It is being crammed down our throats because people react to it, thus it provides political leverage.

There are far, far, far, far more important issues for us to be fussing over right now that are not getting the attention they deserve.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 03:55 PM

The only thing this issue tells us is that if Romney can't control it, he is probably going to lose the election, as there are too many people who assign more meaning than they ought to to campaign fodder and gaffes.

Obama has more experience dealing with these sorts of things, and chances are the Republicans have found most everything that there is to find about Obama.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 03:56 PM

It's our fault for allowing this story to survive as long as it has, and to overshadow more important stories. If we all took my attitude of not giving a fence about this sort of stuff, it wouldn't be crammed down our throats. It is being crammed down our throats because people react to it, thus it provides political leverage.

There are far, far, far, far more important issues for us to be fussing over right now that are not getting the attention they deserve.
You have unrealistic expectations. I doubt even you could survive on the diet you propose for six whole months.

Could it be better? Sure.

In this particular environment (an Internet forum), does it get better by complaining about it, or generating your own constructive content?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 04:04 PM

The only thing this issue tells us is that if Romney can't control it, he is probably going to lose the election, as there are too many people who assign more meaning than they ought to to campaign fodder and gaffes.
I disagree.

As I said before, this isn't about how he acted in high-school, it's about how he acts now.

He keeps trying to be like the hu-mans, but doesn't quite understand it.

With time, he will learn to think like the hu-mans.

To act like the hu-mans.

Maybe even... to love like the hu-mans.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 04:11 PM

You have unrealistic expectations. I doubt even you could survive on the diet you propose for six whole months.

Could it be better? Sure.

In this particular environment (an Internet forum), does it get better by complaining about it, or generating your own constructive content?

It probably doesn't get better by me complaining about it, but then again, people like us are among the more intelligent people in society from which leadership and persuasiveness comes from. Maybe if we could convince people that this sort of stuff or corrosive to the political process, it might have a very small impact?

What kills me is this is such a repetitive cycle, yet certain people are so in favor of this when it hurts their enemies, and so against this when it hurts them, and never seem to stop and realize that maybe this cycle is just overall harmful and dumb?

It's probably not unlike the filibuster.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 04:12 PM

I disagree.

As I said before, this isn't about how he acted in high-school, it's about how he acts now.

He keeps trying to be like the hu-mans, but doesn't quite understand it.

With time, he will learn to think like the hu-mans.

To act like the hu-mans.

Maybe even... to love like the hu-mans.

Whatever. I think you are just grasping at intangibles and creating your own narrative.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2012, 04:19 PM

Obama, by his own admission, torched fatties and snorted coke, and was elected.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

See what I mean about this harmful and dumb cycle, guys?

Besson3c is right.

finboy
May 12, 2012, 04:45 PM

I'm not a big Romney fan, but the last couple of weeks has really shown the lengths to which the Lefties will go to smear someone.

I think they should be careful - after all, we don't know everything about Barry's high school life (or whatever his name was back then). The fact that they are so comfortable throwing rocks shows the advantage that having the media sewed up affords them, I think. So far nobody has cared enough to dredge that stuff up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules