Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes4 Sharing

iTunes4 Sharing
Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 07:42 PM

Okay so I turn on sharing on mine and my sisters computers. "Tiffany's Music" appears on the list. I click on it and it says "Loading Tiffany's Music" with the progress bar forever and never loads my sister's playlist. Any idea what is preventing it from loading?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
Okay so I turn on sharing on mine and my sisters computers. "Tiffany's Music" appears on the list. I click on it and it says "Loading Tiffany's Music" with the progress bar forever and never loads my sister's playlist. Any idea what is preventing it from loading?
How big is her list? It took awhile for a list to show up on mine that had a ton of songs.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 09:01 PM

I had trouble with 2 of us at the office, connected to different Airport bases on the same LAN. Once I switched to Ethernet, all was well.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2003, 09:05 PM

Works great between a PM and an iBook on my network. Anyone know if you can add songs to an iPod from a shared library? I try to drag, but no dice.

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
Same thing happens here.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Works great between a PM and an iBook on my network. Anyone know if you can add songs to an iPod from a shared library? I try to drag, but no dice.
It's for streaming, not stealing.

Alex00087  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 10:39 PM

Maybe it has something to do with my iMac on airport and sister's iMac on ethernet, but they still work together great with everything else rendezvous related.

iLurker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 10:57 PM

If iTunes4 streaming doesn't work, check to see if you have your personal firewall enabled in sharing. If you do, you are blocking the port that the streaming occurs over.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2003, 11:31 PM

Check your personal firewall.

It worked fine on my TiBook from my G4, beautiful in fact, but I did have to "log in" to the apple account to share AAC-protected Applemusicstore files...

Lww
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

The port you have to open up is 3689
Go to the sharing control panel
Click on the Firewall tab
Select New
Select Other in port name
call it something meaningful
Add port 3689 and you done
A glaring omission from Apple�

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
It's for streaming, not stealing.
Not that it's any of your business, but I'm not stealing my own music. It would be mighty convenient to be able to access my entire music library that is on my PM from my iBook (different floors in house, and it doesn't have a huge HD for all my Mp3s). And to be able to hook up my iPod and transfer MY music to MY iPod from MY PowerMac.

No stealing required. But thanks for that oh so smart reply.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 03:20 AM

Not that it's any of your business, but I'm not stealing my own music. It would be mighty convenient to be able to access my entire music library that is on my PM from my iBook (different floors in house, and it doesn't have a huge HD for all my Mp3s). And to be able to hook up my iPod and transfer MY music to MY iPod from MY PowerMac.

Thief.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 03:36 AM

I don't know if he was accusing you personally of stealing, but the point is that many people would use the feature for copying music that wasn't theirs, and that is why it is disabled.

Patton76
Apr 29, 2003, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by jock:
Select New
A glaring omission from Apple?
I opened port 3689, but I'm still having the same problem. i can see the other mac over airport, but the list won't load. I just made a test setup with one file, so I guess that shouldn't take to long to load.

Any other solutions?

Patton76
Apr 29, 2003, 04:43 AM

i found the problem.

I have to use a proxy server to get to the internet, and when I don't use the proxy server, itunes sharing works.

So I guess itunes is using the proxy server, which it shouldn't since it has to connect to a local server.

What is it with Apple and proxy servers?

Any solutions?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Patton76:
i found the problem.

I have to use a proxy server to get to the internet, and when I don't use the proxy server, itunes sharing works.
Thanks for the tip. Disabled the proxy and it worked perfectly. However, I kinda need my proxy, so I tried using the "bypass proxy" box by adding ".local." and it's a no-go. Same thing for "192.168.1.". Any idea what to put in there, or if iTunes even respects it?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 09:33 AM

Does the user who's list I want to get streamed to me have to be logged in and have iTunes running? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I could stream my g/f's music to me when I'm logged in. We have two different user accounts on the same machine...

And also, does the Rendezvous stream prohibit copying even when it's a non-DRM, non-AAC MP3 file? Does that meen if I have an MP3 of me screaming into the micro which belongs 100% to me that I can only stream it to a friend, but he can't copy it to his Mac even though it belongs 100% to me and the RIAA and the record companies don't own squat of the file?

Alex00087  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 09:49 AM

Where might one disable this proxy?

zcasper
Apr 29, 2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
Thanks for the tip. Disabled the proxy and it worked perfectly. However, I kinda need my proxy, so I tried using the "bypass proxy" box by adding ".local." and it's a no-go. Same thing for "192.168.1.". Any idea what to put in there, or if iTunes even respects it?
Hold on - OS X should only go to the proxy if the destination host is on a different network.

Make sure you have your subnet mask setup correctly. For example, I have two hosts 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.2.

These two machines can talked to each other fine as long as I have my subnet mask as 255.255.0.0.

If I have a router (192.168.1.1) setup with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 I would be able to go to the Internet but not able to access the other computer on my network.

Just a guess.

Zach

ebolla
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 10:14 AM

" Not that it's any of your business, but I'm not stealing my own music. It would be mighty convenient to be able to access my entire music library that is on my PM from my iBook (different floors in house, and it doesn't have a huge HD for all my Mp3s). And to be able to hook up my iPod and transfer MY music to MY iPod from MY PowerMac."

why not just set up a shared directory on one of your machines to share across the network? do it the old fashioned way without Rendezvous

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Does the user who's list I want to get streamed to me have to be logged in and have iTunes running? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I could stream my g/f's music to me when I'm logged in. We have two different user accounts on the same machine...

And also, does the Rendezvous stream prohibit copying even when it's a non-DRM, non-AAC MP3 file? Does that meen if I have an MP3 of me screaming into the micro which belongs 100% to me that I can only stream it to a friend, but he can't copy it to his Mac even though it belongs 100% to me and the RIAA and the record companies don't own squat of the file?
Yes, but in this instance you could legally just send your friend a copy of the actual file!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Yes, but in this instance you could legally just send your friend a copy of the actual file!
Of course I could, but that is not the point. First of all, it's not the way it should work. Normally I first listen to a song (that would be while streaming), then I might decide "jeez, that's good, I want that" and then I'd want to download. So it would make absolute sense to be able to pull it right over from the streaming list and have it copied. Secondly, it is technically so simple that there is absolutely no reason not to make that possible. At the moment I pull the song over to my collection form the streaming list iTunes checks that the song doesn't have any DRM in case it's AAC. When it's checked and there's no DRM, it copies - if there's DRM on it, it doesn't copy. Simple as that.

I think this is an aspect where Apple is not doing it right. I hope they fix this behaviour. Beacuse ironically with this behaviour Apple is supporting piracy. Stolen MP3s can be copied wherever I want. So legal non-DRM AACs should be able to be copied anywhere too.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 29, 2003 at 11:32 AM. )

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 11:38 AM

So... anyone want to share? I only have about two hours of music atm but its some pretty good stuff. No copying though
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

n~s
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 11:45 AM

I think this is an aspect where Apple is not doing it right. I hope they fix this behaviour. Beacuse ironically with this behaviour Apple is supporting piracy. Stolen MP3s can be copied wherever I want. So legal non-DRM AACs should be able to be copied anywhere too.
It might be more accurate to say that Apple isn't doing it right for people who want to swap songs. I doubt they would have reached any kind of agreement with the record companies if non-apple store songs could be swapped that easily with iTunes.

I have 354 songs in my library right now, 353 of them have no DRM technology. The music execs that Apple has to negotiate with would crap themselves if other Apple users could use iTunes to copy the other 353. You might not like it (and I can understand why), but it was probably a neccessary business decision.

In the meantime, you could always run a KDX server alongside your streaming iTunes server to allow your guests to copy those files that you have legal right to share. That way "Hey, it's good" can still mean an instant download without putting Apple at risk.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by n~s:
In the meantime, you could always run a KDX client alongside your streaming iTunes server to allow your guests to copy those files that you have legal right to share. That way "Hey, it's good" can still mean an instant download without putting Apple at risk.
Well, yeah... at less comfort though.

I can see that this could have been a business decision but it's stupid. The big 5 shouldn't have even thought about the non-DRM, non-AAC songs I have on my computer (which I hadlong before iTunes 4 and the AMS came out) because it's none of their business. They're audio snips of friends of mine and me trying stuff in a studio. It's completely legal and none of the record companies business - it's my material and I should be able to do with it as I like.

I can understand that the companies are desperate when it comes to their AAC files, because they're selling them to Apple which in turn is selling them to us, but these songs have nothing to do with my own personal MP3 files. That's what is pissing me off.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 02:37 PM

Well, yeah... at less comfort though.

I can see that this could have been a business decision but it's stupid. The big 5 shouldn't have even thought about the non-DRM, non-AAC songs I have on my computer (which I hadlong before iTunes 4 and the AMS came out) because it's none of their business. They're audio snips of friends of mine and me trying stuff in a studio. It's completely legal and none of the record companies business - it's my material and I should be able to do with it as I like.

I can understand that the companies are desperate when it comes to their AAC files, because they're selling them to Apple which in turn is selling them to us, but these songs have nothing to do with my own personal MP3 files. That's what is pissing me off.
But surely you can see that 99.99 percent of what people have in their iTunes music libraries is stuff originally ripped from commercial CDs. If Apple would allow easy sharing of this I can guarantee you they would be at the wrong end of a monster lawsuit.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 04:01 PM

This is all a bit confusing to me. Does this feature make iTunes like iCommune?

If I want to share with people outside of my local (home) network, can I do this? I know my ip address and I think it is static... I use a router with a cable modem connection.

How can I figure out all of this stuff?

wreising
Apr 29, 2003, 04:11 PM

What is wrong with mounting your GF's disc and dragging the music files to your iTunes library?

Yeah, its not as elegant as simply using iTunes sharing to do it, but consider what would happen in a college dorm if all you had to do to swap files illegally was to open iTunes, select another user's library and drag files over.

This is an unacceptable result for the music companies and consequently Apple.

If the result is that I get the Music Store and music sharing we have now, I am happy to manually copy the music files that I own between Macs I own.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Patton76
Apr 29, 2003, 05:29 PM

Maybe we can get back to the point and find a solution for the sharing problem.

SO the problem is the proxt, but how do we solve this.

And yes, all my mac's are on the same subnet, but somehow itunes is using the proxy server to connect to the other macs.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2003, 08:49 PM

I'm having the same problem now.

5 computers behind a Linksys.
Never, EVER had a problem with servers behind it. Quake, Remove Sharing, UT, IIS, Apache, etc.

I put the Mac in the DMZ and still nothing.
Added that port to the Firewall and still nothing.

I can connect to myself, though.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

n~s
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by starman:

Never, EVER had a problem with servers behind it. Quake, Remove Sharing, UT, IIS, Apache, etc.

Mike
Strange, it worked OK through my linksys...but I had to configure the router to forward the port to my base station IP, then configure my base station to forward the port to my ibook's IP.

Are you port forwarding from your router?

Alex00087  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 01:08 AM

Select New
A glaring omission from Apple�
This worked! Thanks So Much!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by wreising:
What is wrong with mounting your GF's disc and dragging the music files to your iTunes library?
Ah, no, it's technically possible. No question. ssh and scp will do that fine. It's just a question of ease-of-use which is normally where Apple performs extremely well.

Yeah, its not as elegant as simply using iTunes sharing to do it, but consider what would happen in a college dorm if all you had to do to swap files illegally was to open iTunes, select another user's library and drag files over.
No, I already said that it wouldn't work for DRM AAC files you bought from Apple. I was only talking about absolutely leagl MP3 files I own.

You see, as far as I'm concerned it would be great if iTunes4/AMS would take over and dry out the black P2P-market. I'd really look forward to that. But I can already see many people asking why in hell's name they should switch to legality if they are being prevented from doing perfectly legal stuff.

But again, if that's the price Apple had to pay to get the AMS running then so be it. I'm just trying to point out that we are being punished for trying to be fair and I think that's a somewhat rotten deal. I see Apple's effort, but I still don't see the labels trying to really solve the problem.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 03:54 AM

sorry, double-post.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 05:42 AM

Big thanks to the disabling proxy settings suggestion!
I've had on-off success with rendevous with my sisters iMac, mainly while connected to the net and with internet sharing on (which has worked flawlessly).
One appearing in the others iChat, but not the other way, wasn't too uncommon.
Same was happening with sharing iTunes libraries.

So I flicked off the proxies, and bang - they all popped back into gear, and work 100% now. Yay!! I have no idea why I turned them on in the first place now...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:07 AM

No, I already said that it wouldn't work for DRM AAC files you bought from Apple. I was only talking about absolutely leagl MP3 files I own.
Here's the problem. There are two types of files now in iTunes. DRM AAC files bought from the Music Store, and non-DRM files that were ripped from CD, stolen, etc. Your proposal limits the distribution of only the first type.

There is no way for iTunes to determine whether that MP3 or AAC file you want to share is something you've made, or something you've ripped. That's why iTunes will only stream, and not transfer. If it did transfer, users would pirate ripped material, and Apple would get hit with lawsuits for aiding piracy (or whatever the RIAA files for).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Here's the problem. There are two types of files now in iTunes. DRM AAC files bought from the Music Store, and non-DRM files that were ripped from CD, stolen, etc. Your proposal limits the distribution of only the first type.

There is no way for iTunes to determine whether that MP3 or AAC file you want to share is something you've made, or something you've ripped. That's why iTunes will only stream, and not transfer. If it did transfer, users would pirate ripped material, and Apple would get hit with lawsuits for aiding piracy (or whatever the RIAA files for).
I absolutely understand what you're getting at. Would RIAA get through with such a suit. I mean it's not like Apple would be encouraging people to steal. Would a court really punish Apple instead of those actually stealing?

I'm asking because it sounds pretty strange to me. Apple could argue that they are making something possible which is a-priori absolutely legal. Let's say a terrorist used MS Word to right down bombing instructions to other fellow terrorists. No court would hold MS responsible...

Am I just mixing stuff up or did iCommune allow us to copy the streaming files?

Is this maybe a reason Apple wanted the guy so badly to stop writing the software?
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 30, 2003 at 06:19 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2003, 09:50 AM

Mike
Forgot to post an update.

I didn't change A THING, and a few minutes later some friends were able to use it, but others still couldn't. A few minutes later, the friends that couldn't then could. It's like some odd delay. I've never seen a server NOT be immediately responsive.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

n~s
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 10:17 AM

I didn't change A THING, and a few minutes later some friends were able to use it, but others still couldn't. A few minutes later, the friends that couldn't then could. It's like some odd delay. I've never seen a server NOT be immediately responsive.
I've had mixed lick behind a linksys as well, people were able to connect, but others were getting "unable to connect" messages sometimes when I had fewer than 5 people on.

Maybe a Linksys firmware bug, maybe an iTunes bug, maybe some combination of my networking hardware...dunno.

Anyone else having Linksys router issues?

losgatos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 01:48 AM

Wow! That worked for me. Thanks a million.

Insanely glaring omission.

Select New
A glaring omission from Apple?
::: losgatos :::
12" PB 1.33GHz

Robe
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by losgatos:
Wow! That worked for me. Thanks a million.

Insanely glaring omission.
THanks for the tip - I have sharing working well now. THe music sounds OK through the speakers on the TiBook and GREAT with headphones. I have one problem - when I connect the TiBook (Ti 400) to my stereo via the amp's PHONO jacks, it sounds like absolute crud! Does anyone with stereo knowlege have any advice?

Robe

frates
May 3, 2003, 04:03 PM

A cool feature in itunes 4 is the ability to give an url for a particular playlist that is in share in your iTune's library.

just right-click a playlist in the list
choose "copy shared url"
public anywhere you want, it's clickable directly from web, chat...

url looks like : daap://ip.adress/resolve?database-spec=...

great feature !

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by frates:
A cool feature in itunes 4 is the ability to give an url for a particular playlist that is in share in your iTune's library.

just right-click a playlist in the list
choose "copy shared url"
public anywhere you want, it's clickable directly from web, chat...

url looks like : daap://ip.adress/resolve?database-spec=...

great feature !
daap://your-ip-address/ is much simpler!

ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
daap://your-ip-address/ is much simpler!
Cool music, dude. I'm REALLY liking this iTunes version now. What a blast! I had no idea it was so easy to share across the internet.

I'm not the most savvy Apple user when it comes to networks, so I'm not sure hot to share my own iTunes Library. I'm using an Airport base station with an Asante switch. I have dynamic IP addressing from my ISP, so it changes every now and then.

How do I share my Library? I guess what I'm asking is how do I know what my iBook's IP address is from behind this router (base station)?
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 11:49 AM

Preciousss
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 07:48 PM

I sent this in a private message to awaspaas, so apologies for the double post my friend.

I've had a bit of trouble sharing myself. First, my friend and I both had to add that new port suggested earlier in this post in order to even get it to work between our two computers on the same subnet.

But now, I'm sitting in a cafe and he's at home and we weren't able to get it to work. Here's what we tried:

- trying to connect to each others' IP addresses through Advanced > Connect to Shared Music as suggested in Help

- right-clicking on our Libraries to Copy the Shared URL and putting it into the same place (Advanced > etc.)

- using the short hand daap://ipaddresshere/ that somebody suggested

As far as I can tell, no proxies are enabled on either end (though I don't know for sure at the cafe). We still have those ports turned on, and both of our iTunes sharing prefs are turned on. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules