Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Al 15" Happiness!!

Al 15" Happiness!!
Porco
Sep 27, 2003, 12:21 PM

Hey all,

I am continuously seeing a lot of bashing on the new AL. I am one of those famous early adopters. I had a 1ghz TiBook with the combo drive in November. I got tired of having to burn DVDs on my PC so I updgraged to a 1ghz TiBook SD in February. I ordered my 1.25 AL 15" the day after the keynote. I went to Compusa near my mother's house in Ann Arbor to check it out and found it gorgeous, but DOA. Mine shipped out Monday and by Wednesday was sitting at my doorstep.

The hinge isn't an issue. The latch works fine, and I don't know what white spots everyone is talking about because my screen is perfect.

The only concern I have is battery life, but I can tell you for a fact that I think the time left clock is reporting it wrong. I am hoping for a fix that will do two things: (1) tell me the real time left and (2) make good on three or four hours use that I was getting on my TiBook.

I know we come here to discuss the things we see wrong, but, I don't think there are enough of us talking about the things that are right!!

Rob

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 01:44 PM

I have been very happy with mine as well, got it one week after the announcement.

Issues, it seems 10.2.7 is actually what broke the battery life timer, but the actual battery peformance seems ok. 10.2.8 just gained this bug, since many parts of 10.2.7 are in .8

No white spots either, and no clue what they are that other people are seeing.
<This space under renovation>

Lattimer
Sep 27, 2003, 01:48 PM

Man, it sure is nice to see some posts from people who's 15AL's are OK. Seems like everyone is having screen issues or latch issues or something...I was starting to get a little depressed with my 15 in transit right now! It has to come all the way to Iceland, and the thought of boxing it up and sending it back is not a nice thought for me....I hope mine is ok

Keep the positive posts coming! It's keeps my spirits up!!!

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 01:55 PM

Perfect Al15 here too. Wonderful computer.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:01 PM

My 1Ghz 15" PB is great!!!! No dead pixels, no funny white spots and the hinge is fine; it latches a little softer than any other laptop I've had, but it stays put. Just remember that there are a lot more people who are happy with their machines who probably never mention to post it on this forum. It's always the ones with issues that seem to stand out! Relax and enjoy your baby when you get it.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 02:54 PM

I am also a happy owner of an Al 15". This is my first PB, and it's working great. The screen is great for a laptop, and no dead pixels, which is more than I can say for my 23" Cinema Display which cost more than the entire PB!

The latch is a little tricky, and sometimes requires a couple of presses before it will catch, but I've had no problems with it popping open once it's shut.

I bought the PB because I'm going on the road soon, so I've been trying to use it as my primary computer to iron out any problems before I leave. I thought it would be a hardship to stop using my PowerMac and huge monitor, but the PB is much more comfortable to use than I would have expected (certainly more than my old Dell laptop). The keyboard is so incredibly spacious, I actually had to learn to spread my fingers wider, and I don't mind the lower resolution as much as I thought. I don't think I'm going to miss my desktop at all when I'm away from home.

So count me among the happy Al15 users!

Lattimer
Sep 27, 2003, 03:15 PM

me =

Thanks everyone...especially Porco for starting this thread!

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 04:17 PM

I got my 15" and love it also but heres a couple things guy;
First go here if you got a latch problem once you do you won't have one anymore!
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Second the battery timer needs to be calibrated charge up the Battery to 100% then unplug and let it run down the battery till it forces sleep then recharge the battery then the timer should be better. And look forward to Panther as it reportedly will help out battery life. Thanks for posting you good stuff it helps people make a more educated decision as to buy or not!
( Last edited by MacsGalor; Sep 27, 2003 at 05:35 PM. )

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
I got my 15" and love it also but heres a couple things guy;
First go here if you got a latch problem once you do you won't have one anymore!

What? Go Where? I'm SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW!

Second the battery timer needs to be calibrated charge up the Battery to 100% then unplug and let it run down the battery till it forces sleep then recharge the battery then the timer should be better. And look forward to Panther as it reportedly will help out battery life. Thanks for posting you good stuff it helps people make a more educated decision as to buy or not!
I LOVE MY AL 15" It is my first Powerbook and I love everything. I agree about the battery life, but I am always near an outlet so far, so not a problem yet. Latch is a little tricky at first, but not an issue for me. I love the screen. I don't see white spots, I see a bright beautiful display.

Smile if you ordered one, You'll LOVE IT!!

JT
========================================
http://www.sledgetech.com

PowerMac G4 800/Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 1.25ghz

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it......Steven Wright

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Talleyman:
I LOVE MY AL 15" It is my first Powerbook and I love everything. I agree about the battery life, but I am always near an outlet so far, so not a problem yet. Latch is a little tricky at first, but not an issue for me. I love the screen. I don't see white spots, I see a bright beautiful display.

Smile if you ordered one, You'll LOVE IT!!

JT
Go here to find out how to fix the latch.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

ShadowKatana
Sep 27, 2003, 06:08 PM

For all you guys who have had Tibooks and now with an Al Book, would you tell me whether the latter feels more or less sturdy. I am too afraid to lug around my Ti 800.

Porco  (op)
Sep 27, 2003, 06:11 PM

To me the AlBook seems sturdier, but, it also feels slicker to the touch. Every time I move it around, I worry that it is going to slip out of my hand... The screen seems definitely more protected than the TiBook's though.

Rob

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by ShadowKatana:
For all you guys who have had Tibooks and now with an Al Book, would you tell me whether the latter feels more or less sturdy. I am too afraid to lug around my Ti 800.
The Aluminum 15" (and the 17" also) feel much sturdier than the Tibook. I had several Ti's including the last 1GHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules