Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook desktop set-up

Powerbook desktop set-up
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 11:01 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse to go with my Powerbook 15" and icurve for use at home. The new keyboard looks more professional and I like the sharp lines. The one button issue doesn't concern me at all, i've used an apple pro mouse for the last 3 years and have never wished I had an extra button.

I'm curious to hear what other Powerbook users set-up is at home (if you use it as you main computer), external monitor? BT keyboard and mouse? 3rd party? It may help me sort out what kind of set-up I want at home before my Powerbook arrives.

Are there any alternatives to icurve?

Also any reviews of the BT keyboard and Mouse would be appreciated (leaving out the 2 botton issue)
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 11:42 AM

I haven't received my pb yet however it will be my main machine. I'm going to pick up either a mx500 logitec mouse or the mx900 (which I believe is a BT mouse. I'll probably pick up a the apple keyboard (bt or corded).

Mike

wavegroom
Sep 28, 2003, 11:56 AM

Have a look at the new bluetooth mouse combination from logitech.... diNovo

It looks really great, you can use the number-block as remote control and calculator. The photo is not so good.

The price tag is very hefty... ~ � 300

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 12:07 PM

Wait for mac magazines and web sites to review these products before you buy!
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 12:23 PM

are there any reviews online for the non-bluetooth keyboard? I assume it's more or less the same as the BT one, just without usb ports.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 12:55 PM

The only problem with Apple's wireless mouse is that, in typical Apple fashion, it's a single button, no scroll-wheel mouse. Today, that's all but useless to me.

That, and I can think of far better ways to spend $59 than on a mouse...
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Lattimer
Sep 28, 2003, 02:26 PM

I just got an iCurve for my 15AL that hasn't arrived yet...it's perfect! I have my HP up on it right now. It puts the screen right at eye level, and you hardly notice its there.

BTW- That DiNovo keyb/mouse is super sexy! How much would that be in US dollars? Anyone have any info on a release date? I can't find anything on Logitech's site.

Also, I'm planning on picking up a Logitech MX combo for the PB...it's only 79 dollars on amazon.com, and it's gotten rave reviews...even for macheads. I'll use that until the come up with something better.

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:41 PM

i'm tempted by the Logitech MX 700 mouse, does it have an on-off switch and an optical cover? Seems like a must if its going to be transported often.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:42 PM

don't like the Logitech keyboard though, its a bit big and doesn't look as nice as the white apple keyboard.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:49 PM

I don't need the base station for the mouse to work with my Powerbook do I?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 02:59 PM

The MX 700, yes, you would need the base station attached to the Powerbook, because it uses a non standard wireless technology.

The MX 900 will not need the base station attached to the Powerbook though. It uses Bluetooth, but from the Logitech page, is not quite out yet. I figure I will plug the base station into my PC at home to add bluetooth to it, and as a charging dock next to my cell phone one. I have the MS Bluetooth mouse right now with my new Powerbook, and love the cordless mousing. I just can't stand the MS solution, so it's going back soon. It uses normal batteries, never turns off, and ships with a Bluetooth dongle that supports mice, keyboards, and printers. Nothing else, so I loose the advantage of getting a bluetooth adaptor for my PC.
<This space under renovation>

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 03:10 PM

Phew! thanks, I almost ordered one off ebay. Having to plug in a dock isn't really very usefull for a portable. Think i'll either wait for the MX 900 or get the Apple one now.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drakino:
[B]The MX 700, yes, you would need the base station attached to the Powerbook, because it uses a non standard wireless technology.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 03:35 PM

At home, I only use a 2 button wheel mouse with my PB17. But if I had a 12 or 15 PB, I'd consider an external, flatscreen monitor.

At my office, I use an external Apple 20" Cinema display which is so bright I have it in front of my window. I use an Apple keyboard (plugged into the monitor) and a logitech wired mouse. They all attach simply via the right hand monitor and USB connectors. BTW. the Cinema display makes the PB screen look dark.

I think the new Kensington BT mouse due Oct 1 has the best specs for these PBs. But it would be nice to see a user review or two, and they force you to purchase a BT transceiver at the same time. Expensive mouse @ $80.

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 04:11 PM

I purchased an Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keybboard which is, in Apple tradition, packaged elegantly. They operate smoothly and very basically and complement a Powerbook 17"1.33 and a flat screen iMac.

There will be undoubtedly more Bluetooth products in the future, but why wait.

Even a second mouse would be a complement in the future.

As the Beatles said "Things are gettin' better all the time" (think technology here)

Earlier link started here:> http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...24#post1606624

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 04:11 PM

I've always wanted a keyboard that had the numeric keypad separate so the mouse could go between them! It makes so much more sense - the keyboard can be centered so you don't have to twist around to type, and I rarely use the keypad but I don't want to go with the compromise of a "shortie" keyboard. Neat!

I can't afford it though.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:07 AM

Think i'm going to go for the apple BT keyboard and mouse, they seem like the best BT options at the moment.

Does anyone know of any reviews on the keyboard? Even on the non-BT one. I've only seen one and that said it was crappy, though it was a PC magazine.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by wavegroom:
Have a look at the new bluetooth mouse combination from logitech.... diNovo

It looks really great, you can use the number-block as remote control and calculator. The photo is not so good.

The price tag is very hefty... ~ � 300

HOLY CRAP! I WANT!!! I WANT!!! :drool: WHEN?! WHERE?!

Too bad no $$$. Geez.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules