Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Insert Disc Error

Insert Disc Error
G4Man
Apr 15, 2005, 10:47 PM

For some reason since i've updated to 10.3.8, I can't insert any disc besides a cd-r blank into my drive. I'm now up to date with 10.3.9, and still same problem. I can burn music and data, but can't read normal music cd's, i've tried different ones too? I get this error, pict below. Tried repaired permissions from startup disk, and no luck. I have pb g4 15" alu 1.5ghz, combo drive, 1gb, 80gb hd.

http://www.csulb.edu/~skeo2/amaesing/insert_error.jpg
[ALL inline images must be no wider than 480 pixels. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Apr 18, 2005 at 05:55 PM. )

ibook_steve
Apr 16, 2005, 01:16 AM

Try creating a new user account and see if the problem occurs with this new user. If you still have problems, you could have a problem with the drive.

Steve

G4Man  (op)
Apr 18, 2005, 04:04 AM

Didn't work, anyone else?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 04:12 AM

I would try booting from a startup disc (insert the disc and restart while holding the C key). If it does not boot to the disc, you can be certain it's a hardware issue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005, 05:54 PM

Doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me.

Instead, it sounds as if somehow, at least one of the CD filesystem plugins has become corrupted, most likely cddafs.fs (audio) and cd9669.fs (PC data), both in /System/Library/Filesystems/. Replacing those with fresh copies from a working machine running the same version of Mac OS X might fix the problem.

tooki

G4Man  (op)
Apr 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

i'll try that tooki, thanks. btw i can startup with my boot cd fine, just can't insert any other cds besides blanks.

dvot
Dec 21, 2005, 09:07 AM

I, too, am having the same trouble. Since updating to 10.4.3

I cannot read or burn dvd media at all, or re-write DOS or hds+ cd-rw media that I had burned prior to the upgrade. All media are ejected after a short read attempt.

Tried the Tiger install disc and same thing happens to it, too. Tried Tooki's advice anyway, but without success.

Does that mean 4 sure that I have a hardware issue?
( Last edited by dvot; Dec 21, 2005 at 09:56 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules