Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod video via software upgrade

ipod video via software upgrade
gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 06:35 PM

I have not seen anyone mention this anywhere (and I was on a plane when the announcement was made, so I don't know if Steve mentioned this), but what is the speculation of having a software upgrade to my ipod nano to allow me to play videos? The screen is so tiny, but it would still be cool. Any word?

---gralem
( Last edited by gralem; Oct 12, 2005 at 07:33 PM. )

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 07:11 PM

Two words.

FAT CHANCE.

Steve wants you to but new. Buisness.
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

baw
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:10 PM

Nano probably doesn't have the power to decode the video.

gralem  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 08:21 PM

I'm sure that "fat chance" is probably the answer, but does anyone have any hard info one way or the other? I also thought about the processor speed of the nano as well, but I have not seen any details on the processors. Apple's own ipod tech specs page does not identify anything about the processing capabilities of the ipods.

---gralem

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 08:36 PM

Fat chance? Try NO EFFING WAY.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 08:46 PM

haha i like youre thinking gralem.

has anyone actually been able to extract and play around with the UI of the ipod and change anything?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 03:28 AM

Apple's strategy with the iPod:

1. Make a device, let it do some things.

2. Introduce a newer device 9-12 months later with new features. Refuse to backport them.

While true, the video feature is not something that could likely be backported due to the necessary hardware not being there, what stopped Apple from adding say the screen lock feature to older iPods? Or what stopped them from putting a Podcast menu option on older iPods? Nothing technicially. Just they felt that such minor things added to the value of the new units to try and sell them. If OS X Tiger was only made compatible with a new Mac released the same day, people would riot. But somehow this practice is acceptable in the consumer electronics market.
<This space under renovation>

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 05:45 AM

I don't know if "refusing to backport" some features is relevant in all cases. There's a limited amount of firmware storage in devices like these and there are constraints to fit into. Eg, the "security lock" feature probably needs a bit doing to the firmware.

Anyway, as you say, decoding H.264 is hard and needs a separate chip, which obviously non-video iPods would not have had, so no video for them.

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 06:55 AM

My FAT CHANCE was from the hip a bit. Maybe. Just feeling a it bit.

Thing is Apple has no real track record of retro fitting new features to 'old' hardware. Why should it?

Well it would be nice for earlier customers to get a little more for their buck occasionally. Give them a warmer fuzzy feeling instead of that 'shoot I should of held back a while longer' feeling. Destroy that 'don't buy the 1st Gen. of anything Apple brings out cos there is a better one coming in just a matter of months. These are not peanut prices. Why do I feel that the video iPod v2 in January/Feb '06 will be better? We all know it will be.

I am sure some of the new Games and things like locks and clocks are technically possible to be put retro fitted into the original 60G iPhoto for instance. You know also I am sure the 60GB iphoto could do some sort of video.... ever run your finger around the click wheel really fast on a sequence of photos.... how fast do you need to be. Yes codecs are an issue but the issues here are really about DRM and $$$ I am sure.

Rant off.
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Dark Sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 06:57 AM

I remember reading an article after the 4g iPods came out that said something like, "the most interesting features of this new iPod are the ones that no one is talking about, like built-in support for H.264." If you look into it, I'm sure you will see that the 4g iPod supports video. Of course, Apple would want people to buy NEW hardware, not use their existing stuff. However, it would be interesting to see a software update after all the buzz subsides about the new iPod.
( Last edited by Dark Sailor; Oct 13, 2005 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling error)

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 02:06 PM

Let's not forget that Apple retro-fit AAC/Fairplay decoding into the ipod software when Apple introduced the music store. Obviously they wanted to make the store available to the widest possible ipod base of consumers, so they put the features in.

Doesn't it follow that Apple may want to consider adding video support to as wide a base of hardware as is possible? Sure, you can watch videos on your computer but the real appeal to these videos, I believe, is that they come with you. Whether or not they opt to do it, it wouldn't shock me if Apple enabled video on any ipod capable of doing it. Video-capable iPod shuffle? Sorry...

Doesn't it also make sense that iMovie/FCP/FCE should also get updates which allow users to export home videos to their ipods?

When are they putting in a darn visualizer? I really wanted one!!

Melrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Zim
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb
I don't know if "refusing to backport" some features is relevant in all cases. There's a limited amount of firmware storage in devices like these and there are constraints to fit into.
There's a 2/4/10/20/0/40/60/80 gig HD in there I'd say that's plenty of space.

Apple has shown a consitent unwillingness to port features backwards unless it was a $$ making venture for them....they want you to buy a new iPod, not get firmware upgrades that add features. 3G ipod owners did not get the new menu structure UNTIL Apple wanted to go after the Real DRM'd music and suddenly it was no longer too impossible for Apple to release new code for an "old" device.

Its cold hard business.

Mike

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2005, 01:19 PM

Easy, nano doesnt have a h.264/MP4 decoder = No video.

uuuuut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Easy, nano doesnt have a h.264/MP4 decoder = No video.
Hey my name is Thain Esh Kelch and I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll just throw this irrelevant fact onto the floor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules