Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie - PAL ?

iMovie - PAL ?
Shaman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2000, 03:58 AM

Sorry for my incompetence, but can someone tell me how to get iMovie work with PAL (not NTSC)

Tintim
Nov 15, 2000, 04:44 AM

I think the iMovie download from the internet can only support NTSC, there's probably no way of getting it to work it PAL. But the iMovie ship with Macs to countries that use PAL probably work with PAL. May be Apple in those countries did post the PAL-support version of iMovie 1 on the the internet for people to download.

MickS
Senior User
Nov 15, 2000, 05:53 AM

Tintim there is no difference between the downloadable and PAL versions of iMovie. The mode of operation is dependent on the Firewire drivers in place.

I'm in the UK and have a PAL miniDV camera. When opening a new project in iMovie it initially says that the project is NTSC before quickly replacing that with PAL. Presumably when it finds the PAL firewire DV component.

When Firewire 2.4 came out I rushed to install it as it was supposed to solve a couple of problems I was having. After I had done this all of my projects were in NTSC and I could only get sound via iMovie. I then installed the International English version of 2.4 (which is what I should have done in the first place) and it all went back to PAL and I could import from the camera again.

So, Shaman you need a localised version of the Firewire drivers, rather than the US one. You should then be able to import PAL.

------------------
Mick Sheppard

Powerbook G3 (firewire)

Gretar
Nov 16, 2000, 04:28 AM

I've been using US system versions and have no difficulties using PAL with my iMovie or DV system here in Europe. You should open the iMovie preference file in the preference folder (just double-click it and use simple-text to open it), as it's not a regular preference file but a text file. Early on in the file you will see NTSC, change it to PAL, close the file and save when prompted. This might work.

Shaman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2000, 11:39 AM

gretar ! u'r genius :-)
thanks a lot....
It's not "This might work."
it's "This work." :-)

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 07:20 AM

My iMovie has worked with PAL from the start, using a PAL camera... My problem is I can't figure out how to make NTSC VHS tapes from my edited films.... Pain.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules