Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you do about people who send you dumb joke and hoax emails?

What do you do about people who send you dumb joke and hoax emails?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 10:11 PM

Any suggestions? I'm sick of getting these dumb ass joke emails from my Mom, and I know my wife has been sick of getting the dumb "Bill Gates virus burns zero sector of drive" warning emails from family too.

How do you get them to stop without offending anybody? I've been letting them go, but they hurt my eyeballs and make my brain cry.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 10:55 PM

I ignore them and delete the crap. If it continues without my encouragement (in other words, if the person figures no complaint is a sign that I like it) I explain that I just don't have the time to handle "that much email." I also stick in a little "I appreciate the thought..." sort of thing.

Hoaxes I almost always debunk. I've debunked my sister several times (the Febreez kills dog myth was a biggie) and my even my father once (the old "just seeing a welding arc causes contact lenses to permanently adhere to the eye" myth). I'm as diplomatic as my relationship with the sender warrants-I was a computer security officer for several years, so people I don't need to be "gentle" with just get the facts.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2006, 11:05 PM

I send a reply with ***SPAM*** appended to the subject header, and with a message body that says "Hey, this spam filter works!"

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

amru
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 11:11 PM

i just set up a gmail filter to send anything that has FW: and a specific email address [the one who initially sends out this crap] to go straight to trash.

i did email my siblings and parents about not fwding me that stuff.. but yea that didnt work out to well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 11:46 PM

Looks like your mom and my mom should get together and go bowling.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 12:03 AM

I kill them

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Looks like your mom and my mom should get together and go bowling.
Smoke up, Johnny!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 10:39 PM

Go to their house and steal their "enter" key.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 16, 2006, 11:19 PM

They remind me of threads like this

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...istmas-thread/

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 01:01 AM

those junk emails drive me crazy

I delete them, but am close to telling one person to cut it out

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 01:54 AM

I don't give out my work email to friends/family.

When co-workers send them, I simply don't comment.

andi*pandi
Dec 17, 2006, 11:14 AM

I have one main offender, that is the majority of his content. I anything from him in a special folder, and go through it every once in a while in case there's an actual personal email. Some of the jokes are ok, some I delete, I hate when he sends "funny pictures" and if it's a myth I send along a link to snopes saying why. I like to think I've trained him to check out snopes (at least 10% of the time)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 11:35 AM

I give certain people certain addresses so I know where most of the junk lies. Known or suspected offenders don't get the address that I try to keep clean.

I have a comcast, mac, yahoo, and work address and I monitor the in dif programs to keep it all separate.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 11:49 AM

My sister-in-law used to send all kinds of cheesy joke and religious emails and I didn't say anything or respond. She eventually stopped sending them I think because I never wrote back to say, "hey that was funny!" which is what they want. We get along great.

Personally, I wouldn't say a thing and just continue to delete them. This is the kind of small issue that if handled incorrectly can cause major hurt and fighting in a family. It's simply not worth it IMO.

If I absolutely had to walk through the minefield to stop family/friends from sending joke emails, then I would try some B.S. such as telling them that the number and content of the emails that they are sending has triggered the spam filter on my account. Therefore, they must stop or you won't be able to receive any mail from them. This assumes your Mom is not very technical, for all I know she could be a network administrator.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 11:52 AM

I direct everyone who sends hoax emails to Snopes.com and tell them not to move along such things. Sometimes they do anyway, but that's okay. I just ignore them usually.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
They remind me of threads like this

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...istmas-thread/
Yep, or
This one
Or this one
Or this one
Or even this one

You know, annoying, pointless messages that are just dumb, but you don't want to tell the person that they are.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 17, 2006, 12:55 PM

For obvious hoax emails I send him/her and the entire mailing list back evidence that it is a hoax.

Funny, now I get ZERO hoax emails from people.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
For obvious hoax emails I send him/her and the entire mailing list back evidence that it is a hoax.

Funny, now I get ZERO hoax emails from people.
I just did the same thing about 20 minutes ago. My grandpa is a huge Wal-Mart fan (he lives in Bentonville, Arkansas) and he sent some forward that was trashing TARGET and claimed the company was owned by Frenchmen and that they were stingy with their donations.

I just sent an Email listing their donations and origins (Minnesota) with sources. I let the family mailing list know that about 90% of those types of Emails that people send them have false information in them.

I like the cleanliness of TARGET when compared to Wal-Mart, which is a big reason I frequent TARGET rather than Wal-Mart. Plus, it seems much more organized.

I wonder what's going to happen with this. About 20 of my family members live in Bentonville. Most of them are on the list.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

there was a friend who was new on the internet, she came from a village in central africa, and she put my emailaddress on about every terrible email-service that she ran into. Like a service for not forgetting my birthday, and services that I could get discounts with, in foreign countries..it got so bad that she took 3 hotmail accounts and added them all to my MSM. She worked at an internet cafe and logged in with all 3 accounts, so she would say hi from every account, and when i replied to one she couldnt read it but instead continued talking with the other account. that was a crazy situation and I had to complain about it

what upset me most was a housemate who worked in IT as a consultant, he also sent me chainmails about women in need in Sudan who were about to be stoned to death because of Sharia-law.
If I would sign it with my emailaddress then the muslim clergy would alter the verdict (!) this was supposed to be quite a smart consultant
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
there was a friend who was new on the internet, she came from a village in central africa, and she put my emailaddress on about every terrible email-service that she ran into. Like a service for not forgetting my birthday, and services that I could get discounts with, in foreign countries..it got so bad that she took 3 hotmail accounts and added them all to my MSM. She worked at an internet cafe and logged in with all 3 accounts, so she would say hi from every account, and when i replied to one she couldnt read it but instead continued talking with the other account. that was a crazy situation and I had to complain about it, it took her a while to figure out what upset me

I admire your patience.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 17, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Yep, or
This one
Or this one
Or this one
Or even this one

You know, annoying, pointless messages that are just dumb, but you don't want to tell the person that they are.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 03:22 PM

Yep, or
This one
Or this one
Or this one
Or even this one

You say tomato, I say those threads are awesome. Way better than any of your threads.

Those threads are awesome classics of MacNN and are pillars of America.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 03:34 PM

You know, one thing I've never understood about this board and probably many others is why people get so uppity and concerned about what gets posted and what doesn't get posted in the lounge areas?

When you go to any board that has a lounge like this, you are going to get a stew of all sorts of different topics. The gay people here probably aren't interested in the hot babe threads, some might not be interested in all of the celebrity threads, or gay threads, or Christian threads, or fill in the blank...

There are all sorts of tastes and interests on this board, we can't all expect that everything cater to your own. Nobody is forcing any thread on you, you can choose to not read it. Nobody is selling you anything.

Many of my threads are obviously more for the cultured white-collar types. If this isn't your cup of tea, fine. Not a big deal, you know how to scroll.

It's astonishing how some people on MacNN consistently turn non-issues into big productions.

Commence the bickering and catty remarks (like this one

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 03:41 PM

I hate it when

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 03:42 PM

people post a follow-up right after themselves in an obvious attempt at +1

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
people post a follow-up right after themselves in an obvious attempt at +1

That's another thing... what is +1 and who cares? I mean really... Why do people care about their post counts and trying to inflate them? How do you know when people are trying to inflate them?

Maybe I'm just weird, but my post count is way way way down on my list of concerns... If I have to post right after my last, it is definitely not out of concern for my post count.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 03:47 PM

Back in the day if I got a chain letter that said "Send this email to 10 of your friends etc." I would send it back 10 times to whoever sent it to me. That solved that.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Back in the day if I got a chain letter that said "Send this email to 10 of your friends etc." I would send it back 10 times to whoever sent it to me. That solved that.

Heheh... clever solution!

I haven't gotten a pyramid scheme in a long time!

Has there ever been a pyramid scheme that has worked? I wonder...

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 17, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Those threads are awesome classics of MacNN and are pillars of America.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 04:14 PM

I like to send rebuttals to the people who send the chain letters. Gives me kind of a reputation as a party-pooper, but at least they know not to party in my inbox.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 04:34 PM

The only chain-letter I've had in a LONG time was one that would have had me pack up my wife and send her to the first name on the list, and then pass on the e-mail to a bunch of friends.

It promised my I would receive 823,542 women by post within a certain time, among which statistically certain would be * 0,5 Miss Germany's, 2.5 Models, 463 wild nymphomaniacs, 3,234 *attractive* nymphomaniacs, 20,198 multiple-orgasmers, and 40,198 bisexual women.

Making 64,294 women hotter than the one I'd just posted off.

I didn't bother correcting that one.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The only chain-letter I've had in a LONG time was one that would have had me pack up my wife and send her to the first name on the list, and then pass on the e-mail to a bunch of friends.

It promised my I would receive 823,542 women by post within a certain time, among which statistically certain would be * 0,5 Miss Germany's, 2.5 Models, 463 wild nymphomaniacs, 3,234 *attractive* nymphomaniacs, 20,198 multiple-orgasmers, and 40,198 bisexual women.

Heh, I'm never seen that one. That's actually funny.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 05:25 PM

Well, why didn't you try it ?

-t

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 05:38 PM

I generally reply and tell them never to e-mail me again.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
I generally reply and tell them never to e-mail me again.

Seriously? How does that work out?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 06:08 PM

Heh. I like that one.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Well, why didn't you try it ?

-t
I'm rather happy with the current model and we're rather busy constructing the next version.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 06:44 PM

My Mom--Why does it always seem to be Mom's--was a big offender at forwarding random spam, jokes, chain-mails, and urban myths/legends, etc. At about the same time my sister and I both told my Mom to not e-mail us anymore if the subject was not personal or family-related. It caused some hurt feelings for a while but she got over it. I still tend to get some random e-mails from her but it's not as bad as the 4 or 5 joke e-mails per day we would get. As for friends who do such stuff--most of my friends are too smart/hip to fall for something as dumb as a chain letter or urban legend e-mail--they would get a curt, "this is spam and it's crap" reply from me.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 07:03 PM

Seriously? How does that work out?
They get offended, I call them names, etc. They generally get the message, though.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 07:29 PM

You know, one thing I've never understood about this board and probably many others is why people get so uppity and concerned about what emails they receive?

When you sign up for the internet, you are going to get a stew of all sorts of different topics. The gay people probably aren't interested in the hot babes, some might not be interested in all of the celebrities, or gays, or Christians, or fill in the blank...

There are all sorts of tastes and interests on the internet, we can't all expect that everything cater to your own. Nobody is forcing any email on you, you can choose to not read it. Nobody is selling you anything.

It's astonishing how some people on the internet consistently turn non-issues into big productions.
Fixed.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 07:32 PM

I always forward them to everyone I know.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 07:34 PM

Fixed.

And who says I get all uppity and bent out of shape with people who email this stuff? Just wanting to know how others handle this sort of email... The "dumb" label is just my personal narrative, I've actually never told any of these seners that I think they are dumb.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 17, 2006, 08:42 PM

The "dumb" label is just my personal narrative, I've actually never told any of these seners that I think they are dumb.
As long as you keep calling them dumb behind their backs, it's ok.

Forum Links
Forum Rules