Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best way to replace my battery?

Best way to replace my battery?
Libid21
Jul 4, 2013, 04:18 PM

I believe my 2010 Macbook Pro 15" is due for a battery change. My cycle count is at 1,383 at the moment, and the battery status currently reads "Condition: Replace Soon". I can definitely feel that one full cycle doesn't last as long as it used to.

So with that said, what do you guys think is the best way to replace my battery? Should I just bring it to Apple or would they overcharge? If that's the case, I'd like to change the battery myself to save some money (if it's not too risky or difficult). I've never changed a laptop battery myself though.

Thanks.

mr_strat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2013, 03:23 PM

The battery isn't hard to replace, but you'll need a triwing screwdriver.

darbu00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2013, 12:27 PM

I went to the Apple Store. They only charged me $150 and they did all the work. I thought that was a reasonable price.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2013, 04:42 PM

Get one online and do it yourself for nearly half the cost:

Genuine Apple A1382 10.95V 77.5Wh Replacement Battery Pack for Apple MacBook Pro 15" a1286 + More - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Just use a triwing screwdriver and you'll be set - DX sells those, too. Replacing these is very simple, fast, and safe.

Originally Posted by darbu00 View Post
I went to the Apple Store. They only charged me $150 and they did all the work. I thought that was a reasonable price.
Hint: "all the work" is about five minutes of effort. $150 is a ripoff.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2013, 12:42 PM

If you are still within a 3-year warranty, wait until it runs out. Changing the battery yourself would very likely void any warranty you currently have. If you are out of warranty, I would say only do so if you are comfortable with troubleshooting should it not startup after replacing the battery.

lindamartin123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2013, 04:06 AM

If you have warranty in your laptop.You enter the query obviously you will receive the email. Then the company change the battery.Otherwise you will change.

ionamartin123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2013, 08:58 AM

You will go to the store and then change the battery.It will be the best.Never use the components.

Forum Links
Forum Rules