Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canadians are so narrow minded!

Canadians are so narrow minded!
Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 01:44 PM

I have to say this to someone who can understand, which would be an American. If not I am going to scream. Well I can't in Canada.

And by the way in my heart and soul I am an open minded, generous, in your face American just I cannot live in the U.S. because I do not have the papers.

Have you ever noticed that talking to a Canadian it is like talking to a wall where there is no possibility of an open discussion. Canadians are this is it and nothing else. They are polite and so narrow minded. They think so much that the world wants to be like them even though no one really wants to be like them.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 01:59 PM

You sure sound open minded and flexible!

Methinks your problem is that no one wants to be like you!

WDL

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2001, 02:12 PM

bad day, monique?

ice

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 05:04 PM

Yes a very baad day with those darn Canadians. Anyway for me every day in Canada is a bad day.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Monique:
<STRONG>Yes a very baad day with those darn Canadians. Anyway for me every day in Canada is a bad day.</STRONG>
I hope you do get out of Canada, you are an embarrassment to us. You sound like you would fit in just fine in the US.

Not that i am not saying I wouldn't also be a miserable bitch living on CALGARY ALBERTA. Yuck.

Don't base your one crappy town on the rest of Canada or Canadians. I am more then happy in Toronto.

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 05:42 PM

Aren't Canadians those weird little aliens responsible for Celine Dion and South Park's very own thermo-nuclear war?

Thought so...just making absolutley sure, Terrence. You too Philip.

Play it cool

SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK SOUTH PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
[QB]Aren't Canadians those weird little aliens responsible for Celine Dion and South Park's very own thermo-nuclear war?/[QB]
Yup that is us, we also gave you Jim Carey, William Shatner, Mike Myers, Bare Naked Ladies and Alanis.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Han's Hands on Leia ]

Nick
Jun 29, 2001, 07:20 PM

Monique, to be absolutely honest, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have a feeling your post is referring to a very specific incident that has happened to you. In my opinion you've just had a bad day and you are looking for something to blame.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to see some backup for your claims.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 07:32 PM

Canadians? They're the ones with those beady little eyes and flappin' mouth, right?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2001, 08:02 PM

This is such a hilarious post! How could you possibly assume that 30 million people are narrow minded! Did you do some kind of survey or something? What nonsense!! Hahahahaah, oh this is funny. Do you realize that 1% of us equals 300,000 people? Even if got to know that many people (selecting random people from all over the country, of course) and found they ALL were narrow minded, look what you'd have! Wowee, 1%!

I think when people make from of Canadians, they are actually jealous. Why make fun of us? Hehehe, silly Americans. Why does everyone else think we are the best country in the world? Gee, in Ontario, there's free healthcare (paid by taxes, of course). Umm, not so in many (all?) states.

What is so wrong with Canada, anyway? Okay, so maybe there are some crappy places to live and work, but the US isn't perfect either.

There, I'm feeling better now...

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 10:00 PM

It seems that all the happy Canadians are in Ontario.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Han's Hands on Leia:
<STRONG>It seems that all the happy Canadians are in Ontario.</STRONG>

I noticed that.

Gee wonder what the odds of both of them living in the same city are?

amazing, I say.
*empty space*

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 29, 2001, 11:03 PM

Greetings,
Monique, please give evidence that all Canadians are narrow minded. It's rather unfair to brand all citizens of a country in such a manner. I can assure you that you will encounter narrow minded people in any country that you might want to live. Depending on your appearance, attitude, and lifestyle, you may encounter more than someone else might.
Canada is a great place with a lot of really great people. It's unfortunate that some people who live there don't fully appreciate the great place in which they live. However, there are many other countries on the planet where such a person could move to.
I would suggest that anyone unhappy with their homeland should do some travelling. One might find a better place, or realize how nice their homeland really is.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 11:09 PM

<STRONG>

Yup that is us, we also gave you Jim Carey, William Shatner, Mike Myers, Bare Naked Ladies and Alanis.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Han's Hands on Leia ]</STRONG>
Yup... and Moxy Fr�vous (who's swag I'm wearing now )

But you guys can keep Anne Murray.

[Edit courtesy of the Department of Redundancy Department.]

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Earth Mk. II ]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 01:57 AM

So you want some examples here we go:

People are racist everytime someone of another culture comes to the office where I work everyone except me make some stupid comments about their heritage.

Slavery existed in Canada but they were polite about it so I guess it is OK.

Last winter a woman hurt herself just outside a hospital and the medical personnel refused to help her because she had to be brought in by ambulance even though she was just 100 feet from the emergency; also the medical personnel refused her husband a gurney and they gave him a blanket and said that they had to wait; it took 1 hour for the ambulance to arrive; she was lucky she only had a broken hip. Great medical system hein! Rules had to come first.

There are as many murders, rapes, robberies, assaults in Canada than in the United States.

So the welfare row would go down the government had decided to cut benifits to hundred of people and spied on them when they went to the food bank.

Everywhere you turn you have to follow stupid rules like you are not allowed to talk about sex or the Americans.

People have a hard time helping each other; I knew these people it took their neighbors 6 months before they offered any type of help.

The Canadians worshiped American products but they refused to like the Americans even though there is no reason to hate them.

A performer at the Jazz festival here came from the United States and was threatened by the border guard to be sent to jail if she would not shut up.

A child was left to die of starvation in an apartment even though the child cried for 3 straight days probably wondering why no one came to help. Here you do not help children because the rules say that you do mind your own business even if the life of a child depends on you breaking the rules.

Many times patients are not receiving pain medication because the medical personnel is too busy chating with each other.

The waiting lists are so long in Canada that people died while waiting for surgery.

The trasit was on strike in Calgary for 7 weeks and no one would dare do anything to stop it.

The transit is still on strike in Vancouver and no one is doing anything.

In both cases thousand of people are losing a lot of money, jobs, and cannot get appropriate care because they are stock at home.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 03:25 AM

You are a moron. Why don't you move to the US then, I hear they have a nice clean history and everything down there is just peachy.

It is people like you that make Canada "bad".

BYE BYE!

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2001, 03:46 AM

Hey there's going to be idiots/morons/racists/bigots/etc... everywhere you go. You've just got to learn to tune those people out.

The Installer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 06:39 AM

Not forgetting of course, Neil Young and Ron Sexsmith.

- T.I.
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is to you. - RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Cipher13
Jun 30, 2001, 11:47 AM

She loves the US... she hates Canada...

She loves Steve Jobs...

The pieces all fit...

Nick
Jun 30, 2001, 12:45 PM

<STRONG>So you want some examples here we go:
Everywhere you turn you have to follow stupid rules like you are not allowed to talk about sex or the Americans. </STRONG>
Um.

<STRONG> Here you do not help children because the rules say that you do mind your own business even if the life of a child depends on you breaking the rules.
</STRONG>

Right

elppa cam
Jun 30, 2001, 12:49 PM

It's amazing what a man made border line will create.

Monique... you are welcome here where you have the right to bitch all you want and criticize your country and community without being chased out of town. Unfortunetly, we can't keep narrow minded people out of our country. Would we want to?

"Send us your tired, poor, hungry, stinky, greedy, horney, freaky, bitchy, lazy, puss-ridden, Canadian, stupid, briliant, needy, pretty, ugly..."

"It takes every kind of people..."
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by elppa cam:
<STRONG>you have the right to bitch all you want and criticize your country and community without being chased out of town. Unfortunetly, we can't keep narrow minded people out of our country. Would we want to?

"Send us your tired, poor, hungry, stinky, greedy, horney, freaky, bitchy, lazy, puss-ridden, Canadian, stupid, briliant, needy, pretty, ugly..."
</STRONG>
Should we be surprised that that comment is coming from someone from Texas?

Nick
Jun 30, 2001, 04:55 PM

Such comments just add to the sterotype of texans.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 30, 2001, 05:33 PM

This arguement needs to end. No matter how hard Canadian Residents try to put Americans down it will not work. We are THE most arrogant and self centered civilization on this planet(ok maybe somewhat of an overstatement) I love the United States..I love Seattle. I really like the little bit of Vancouver that I've seen but I don't think either of us is going to change places. I do think some Border Officers are jerks though but you can find that anywhere.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 06:25 PM

Han's Hand is the perfect example why I hate Canada he can't take criticism but he dish it out. So what if I hate Canada why can't you accept that fact. Do you really think that everybody is perfect in Canada. For the few reasons I stated and many others are why I want to leave. I have been to the United States so often that I know that the way they think is the way I think and there is nothing wrong with that.

I would leave tomorrow if I could have the papers.

The world does not want to be Canadian and there are not a lot of nice wonderful people in Canada. The type that would give their shirts off their backs to help others.

So Han's Hand why didn't you go to Oklahoma after the bombing to help, or during the floods since you are so perfect. But you are a child right who lives a perfect LITTLE life in a perfect LITTLE world.

Nick
Jun 30, 2001, 06:45 PM

Monique, just because you work in an office filled with assholes doesn't mean that those people reflect all Canadians... Moreover, just because some idiot from Texas bad-mouths Canada, doesn't mean all Texans are ignorant. My point is you are creating some sort of stereotype with no true basis.

If you wish to go live it America, go for it! America is a great country (one of many in the world).

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 07:31 PM

HEY PEOPLE!!!

Have a look at the end of Moique's post...there is a little smilie...

Doesn't a suggest that he having some fun and that this is all in jest?

Do I get upset when the English think that all American's are slack-jawed yocals? Lighten up!

C'mon...we all know what a means!

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

elppa cam
Jun 30, 2001, 07:58 PM

<STRONG>

Should we be surprised that that comment is coming from someone from Texas?</STRONG>
Looks like sarcasm is not appreciated in all parts of the world. Or understood...

I guess I forgot... send us your ignorant...

elppa cam
Jun 30, 2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Rampage:
<STRONG>Monique, just because you work in an office filled with assholes doesn't mean that those people reflect all Canadians... Moreover, just because some idiot from Texas bad-mouths Canada, doesn't mean all Texans are ignorant. My point is you are creating some sort of stereotype with no true basis.

If you wish to go live it America, go for it! America is a great country (one of many in the world).</STRONG>
I'd repeat my sarcasm comment here... but why? Did everyone really think I was bad mouthing Canada? Read the post again. IT'S SARCASM!!!!!

You guys ARE narrow minded. Heh... Monique... sorry I ever doubted you...

Kisses.

Nick
Jun 30, 2001, 08:22 PM

do you even know what narrow-minded means?

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 09:36 PM

William Shatner? The horror!

And ye left out Alan Thicke. Wild Eeep!

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2001, 12:01 AM

Yes, Canadians are narrow minded, but they are also cheap, they blindly follow governmental decrees and are anti-competitive, overly sensitive, and not civicly minded.

On the other hand Americans are under-educated, overly serious, culturally myopic, and snobby.

So choose your poison....
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 12:04 AM

<STRONG>
The world does not want to be Canadian...</STRONG>
I imagine that more people would want to go to Canada if it weren't for the freaking winters you guys have.

Nick
Jul 1, 2001, 01:04 AM

Re Winters: Funny thing is Hartford CT and the Toronto area have almost the exact same climate. Well, i guess that can't spreak for all of Canada

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 01:20 AM

Yeah, winters suck here too but Canada has nothing like Florida or Southern Cal or Hawaii (I was born there) for those who don't want to put up with a harsh climate. Besides, I suspect that Toronto is a bit more nasty in January. I have family in Rochester, N.Y. and I know their winters are consistently worse than ours. Toronto is north of them. It's not likely you're better off.

elppa cam
Jul 1, 2001, 03:42 AM

<STRONG>do you even know what narrow-minded means?</STRONG>
Tsk, tsk... so insecure...

Monique's point stands.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2001, 10:52 AM

Hi all,

I'd just like to wish the disaffected Monique and all other Canadians here at MacNN a very happy Canada Day! Our fine country celebrates its 134th birthday today.

BTW Monique, one of your many inaccurate statements concerned slavery in Canada. It never happened! Slavery was abolished long before Canada became a country in 1867. Canada in fact provided refuge for many escaped slaves via the Underground Railroad in the 1800's.

Happy Canada Day!

Nick
Jul 1, 2001, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by elppa cam:
<STRONG>

Tsk, tsk... so insecure...</STRONG>
I'm insecure because I pointed out that misinterpreting sarcasm has nothing to do with narrow-mindedness?[/LIST]
[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2001, 01:08 PM

aahhemmMM......

OOOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAANNNAAADDAAAAAA.... i don't know the rest

down here in sunny south florida.. I know nothing about Canadians..
oh.. cept the umm.. older ones don't drive very well, at least according to us (south floridians)... but hey.. they're out of town at the time

anddd, monique.. for some reason, i think you're hot, must be your name.. sorry to cheapen your thread like that, just.. hey..ummm... yea

once again.. good luck, and come to america if you like.. we have room for ya... just no generalizing when you get here... promise??

good.. then everyone's happy

oh.. strange brew was a good movie, and i just read in Stuff magazine that prostitution is actually quite alright in some parts of canada.. pretty cool, ay?

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: IceEnclosure ]
ice

elppa cam
Jul 2, 2001, 01:19 AM

<STRONG>

I'm insecure because I pointed out that misinterpreting sarcasm has nothing to do with narrow-mindedness?[/LIST]
[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]</STRONG>
Rampage... quit it. You're pulling my leg, right? Do I really have to say these things? You sound so serious. If I must explain... here goes...

Poor sweet (angry) Monique... the sarcasm was aimed at her. My point being that the world is full of jerks no matter where you go. Even here in Texas were everyone owns a gun and... no... wait... I take that back. Sarcasm does not work on this site. Sorry.

I have nothing but love for Canadians. They build great.... (what do you guys build?)

Please... tell me you understand. Lordy, Lordy... Have fun, y'all!

Ooh damn... one of my legs is longer...

Happy Canada Day!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo

sebuchen
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2001, 02:19 PM

I hate to burst anyones bubble, BUT, we have had things like that happen here in the good old U.S. of A. too. Heck, there have been plenty of people being beaten to death on the streets of New York and no one will try to help. EVERY place has ass-holes, just some places more than others. In my town, people still can leave the doors to their homes unlocked but I sure as hell wouldn't try that in a big town or city.

[joke]Anyway, what do you expect from Canadians, with all that crappy weather and all?[/joke]

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 01:29 AM

Wow, usually just a few swear words and a thread gets shut down. This one is full of hateful racist remarks and still going strong.

Does it not count because we are Canadian?

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 01:38 AM

<STRONG>Wow, usually just a few swear words and a thread gets shut down. This one is full of hateful racist remarks and still going strong.

Does it not count because we are Canadian?</STRONG>
I don't think Canadian counts as a "race," therefore it's not racist.

And yes, Canadians don't count.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Forum Links
Forum Rules