Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac freezes at shut down

iMac freezes at shut down
DrHilieWho
Apr 10, 2000, 02:18 PM

We have an iMacDV and we use Netscape Com 4.61

This happens everytime we go on-line:
Quit Communicator (and anything else) fine but when we try to Shut Down the iMac freezes. Sometimes there is an error 1 message for the finder...but I can't figure out how to give the finder any memory. I don't even know if that would help anyway.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
DrHilieWho

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2000, 04:38 PM

try the old 'trash the Finder pref's' trick, put Finder pref's in trash and restart

and maybe you should upgrade to Netscape 4.72, though the verison of Netscape you are using should have nothing to do with this problem

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-10-2000).]

Fredo
Senior User
Apr 10, 2000, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by DrHilieWho:
We have an iMacDV and we use Netscape Com 4.61

This happens everytime we go on-line:
Quit Communicator (and anything else) fine but when we try to Shut Down the iMac freezes. Sometimes there is an error 1 message for the finder...but I can't figure out how to give the finder any memory. I don't even know if that would help anyway.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
DrHilieWho
I had the same problem until I started using the remote access window to get on and off line. Instead of going online through your browser, go to the apple menu and choose remote access. Utilize this window to get online, and especially to disconnect. Hope this helps.
Who are the Brain Police?

DrHilieWho
Apr 10, 2000, 08:11 PM

Thank you both very much. We will try both.
=-)

Rob Pettey
Apr 11, 2000, 12:29 PM

I have found this type of crash occurs when going to sites with Netscape that have JAVA scripts. Regardless of all the hype. Java and Macs don't play well together. If you go to clean sites, (sites you know have no java) and then quit Netscape and shut down you'll find most likely the problem goes away. Besides, as much as I hate to say it, I.E. 4.5 (when set up correctly) is MUCH faster on the iMac than ANY version of Netscape.

yaamical
Apr 11, 2000, 01:17 PM

I have the same problem with an iMac DV, but its also happened on my wife's firewire PB. I'll try the remote access cp connect/disconnect also and let you know how that works.

tjm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2000, 10:36 PM

I have diagnosed this problem on my Ibook and my new firewire powerbook.

It looks to be an AppleTalk problem....try doing this:

Go into your AppleTalk control Panel:

Set your USER MODE to Advanced.

Click on Options.

Set AppleTalk to INACTIVE (from within this menu)

Now try shutting down and restarting your computer....

(Ive also had issues with Energy Saver - try disabling it totally - by setting all timers to NEVER enable energy saver....Im an ex Apple employee - and Energy Saver and Appletalk have been historically buggy products....I cant wait till they are out.)

AppleTalk is a vital function for many people....try just turning it on when you need it.

Ive found that Timbuktu replaces most of my day to day Appletalk functionality....and does a much better job. Ive installed it on all my machines.

Good luck.

Tj

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2000, 08:32 PM

I could be wrong, but from what I recall with my own problems (iMac DV/SE, OS 9), the problem is with Apple's Audio Update 1.2 ... I think the problem with shutting down while still connected to the internet, and then freezing, was one of the major reasons they released Audio Update 1.3... The problem went away when I upgraded to 1.3

Apr 15, 2000, 02:43 AM

Ive found that Timbuktu replaces most of my day to day Appletalk functionality....and does a much better job. Ive installed it on all my machines.

Good luck.

Tj

----I am just curious how you use Timbuktu to replace Appletalk-I have a cable modem and ethertalk printer hooked up to a hub and would love a substitute to appletalk

Sean Heuchert
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules