Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > my iPod tastes like burning...

my iPod tastes like burning...
maccarrp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 11:34 AM

okay firewire/hot sync, whatever you want to call it, take it literally because it really fires up my iPod. after an hour the iPod is very, very warm, and when you hold it to your nose you can actually smell burning (little like plastic burning - nothing too dramatic). nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. everything works fine. although, until it cools down to room temperature, the screen is a little dark at the bottom, apparently a reaction from the heat. is this just a normal reaction as the hard drive is used, similar to the heat issues with the TiBooks? has anyone noticed the same thing?

-ralph

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 08:09 PM

I haven't smelled my iPod ( ), but otherwise, I have the same symptoms--it gets quite hot when plugged in and the screen changes color at the bottom center. To quote Ms. Feiss, "Unhh?"

I have no idea if this is good or not. From what little I know of rechargeable batteries, though, high heat is not good for their overall life.

xanderwilson
Aug 27, 2002, 11:07 AM

Whenever the hard drive is accessed for a long time continuously, it's going to generate heat. If it continues to have to "work" even after it's done syncing, I'd unplug it when it's done getting all the info it needs. The burning smell or "taste" is a bit troubling. I'd call AppleCare and ask about it, or at least take it into a store and ask about it. My wife's iPod does run hot sometimes when the hard drive's been used constantly for a long time, but it certainly doesn't smell.

Personally, I'd worry more if it wasn't feeling hot at all. You know the hard drive is supposed to generate heat when it's accessed. If the outside (to you as the consumer) is not getting that heat, that means the heat is trapped inside. You want the outside to be hot, so you know that heat is escaping.

Maybe set the iPod upright when you have it plugged in. That might help the heat disappate better.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

Forum Links
Forum Rules