Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java Development on Xcode by default?

Java Development on Xcode by default?
(",)PB12
Feb 7, 2004, 11:42 PM

Hi guys, this is my first time with XCode, i am not sure if Java development tools has already been configured/installed on Xcode or do i have to down load the separate java developer package from ADC. Anyway the reason i ask is because i can't find the Java option when i tried to add a new project. Thanks!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 12:57 AM

I dont have xcode, but I will try. Set it up as a Cocoa application, then code your Java. Someone will correct me because I am taking a shot in the dark here!

depolitic
Feb 8, 2004, 01:36 AM

In xCode go File Menu >> New Project scroll down the Dialogue and you will see a header called Java with assorted options.

I would not recommend xCode for Java development, it lacks many basic feature that Java developers have come to expect (like code insight, code completion, and Refactoring, not to Mention better support for J2EE) Apple needs to add better support for xCode Java if they wish Java to be Apples cross platform option.

Better of trying the free version of JBuilder or Intellij IDEA.

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 10:53 PM

Minor note: there are a number of different options when it comes to Java development with XCode, and several of them do have huge advantages when done in XCode, namely WebObjects development, and CocoaJava.

If you are developing "pure java" applications, then XCode might not be the best environment out there.

(",)PB12  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 12:10 AM

I'll be developing Applets mostly. Anyway i don't have the option of creating a Java project from the New Projects Dialogue. Help!

depolitic
Feb 9, 2004, 12:53 AM

In /Developer/Applications/xCode version 1.1 when you click on File >> New Project >> scroll almost all the way to the bottom and you do not see Java, is that right?

Java comes default with xCode, I fear that your version may be corrupt or it is right in front of you.

If I was you I would go for something simple like JEdit found at jedit.org, get some plug in's and you are on your way.

Or BBEdit and the terminal.

Have you got the latest Java 1.4.2 from Apple and the ADC 1.4.2 tools?

However neither will have on affect on xCode.

Sorry I cannot think of anything else.

(",)PB12  (op)
Feb 9, 2004, 09:59 PM

thanks for all the replies folks

(",)PB12  (op)
Feb 10, 2004, 12:39 AM

ok i've managed to add a new java project... well it was an over look ... my mistake. Anyway thanks... but is it weird that every time i quit XCde and re launch it and it reloads all teh classes again? I find that rather slow!!

(",)PB12  (op)
Feb 10, 2004, 02:10 AM

oh yeah and one more thing i realized that after i build a new target java class file i can't run it directly on XCode. I'll have to open up terminal and run it from there. Is there a work around? too much typing ha ha....

(",)PB12  (op)
Feb 10, 2004, 02:11 AM

i think i know why ppl are saying Xcode is not so user friendly when it comes to JAva Development. =)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 03:25 PM

I have absolutely no problems creating java applets with Xcode and it will even create jar files along with the class files and launch them automatically as expected.
Perhaps you might want to read some documentation next.

-

Forum Links
Forum Rules