Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > tiger

tiger
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 06:28 PM

How come I do not see people go in the tiger and scionlife room in Ichat?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 06:56 PM

-t

rparke1
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 08:18 PM

theres rooms in ichat?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
I wasn't aware of a place like that in iChat.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

The Internet
Baninated
Mar 11, 2006, 10:16 PM

Hi wdlove, neither was I.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 10:50 PM

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 12:50 PM

apple shift g than tiger or apple shift g than scionlife
there is abought 20 people in the room all the time. It is awesome.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 12:55 PM

!!!

Wow...learn something new every day.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 12, 2006, 01:14 PM

Ok you say this...

Then you totally say the opposite

there is abought 20 people in the room all the time. It is awesome.
Stop trolling and spamming this forum so people will join some lame iChat chat.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 01:20 PM

Just went...3 people in tiger...none in apple.

*discarded*

rparke1
Banned
Mar 12, 2006, 03:16 PM

cp from the scionlife room wants everyone here to know:
"that the scionlife room is not for mac users, and does not want to be bothered by mac users"
( Last edited by rparke1; Mar 12, 2006 at 07:50 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 03:19 PM

cpalli87 who ?

Thought so...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 03:20 PM

cpalli87 ?

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 12, 2006, 04:36 PM

I just went in there. Reminds me a bit of IRC.. but without the features and fun.

Glad to see Adium supports that feature though.

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 02:08 AM

First off, the "ScionLife" chat room isn't "in iChat." iChat is just the OS X application you use to reach AOL's AIM.

Yoyoman, you know, as a ScionLife.com member, the ScionLife chat room is associated with the ScionLife.com site and it's forums. For over a year now, the ScionLife name has been used as the name of an AIM chat, linked to directly from the ScionLife.com site. The intent of that chat is a meeting place for owners and those interested in the Scion vehicles made by Toyota.

That AIM chat is the one you are directing your fellow Mac users to.

As OS X users you have available to you iChat, which is a client able to use AOL AIM. If you start up the iChat app, log in, and go to the "File" menu item, you will find "Go to Chat" as one of the items in the dropdown. If you click that item you will get a window in which you can enter a chat name.

If you enter one that others are already using, you will be taken to that in-progress chat. If you enter a name that no one has used to establish a current chat, you will create your very own, brand new, unique chat room. If anyone else enters that same name (or if you invite others to your chat and they accept) they will end up in a chat with you. Simple.

Why the people who established and are using the ScionLife chat room get upset when they are suddenly invaded by others with no manners or courtesy is easily understandable. With nearly an infinite number of potential rooms, there is absolutly no need to try to 'take over' someone else's chat.

The 'Tiger' and 'Apple' chats may indeed be appropriate places for Mac users to congregate, but that depends on what the folks who created them want them to be. Ask.

If you want your very own brand new chat, simply make one. Chose a name ('MacNN' might be a nice obvious place to start). The first person to type that in to "Go to Chat" will create that chat, anyone else typing it in will join whoever is already there. You can even invite your iChat buddies to your chat, by just dragging their ID from your buddy list to your chat. If they accept your invitation, they magically appear!

Why am I typing this? I'm a moderator at the ScionLife site, and a Mac user. Having a bunch of undisciplined, discourteous, disruptive Mac users suddenly dropping into the the chat set up for Scion owners, and taking over, is giving Mac users a bad name.

I'm not a regular user of the MacNN forums, though I've been around MacNN for years, but here I am because some Mac users are creating a bad impression for all of us.

Please don't.

Thanks!

(I've been a UNIX user since 1981, and a Mac user since 1986. I still have my first Mac, a 1986 Mac SE, which is probably older than some of the posters here, and it still works fine. This post is being typed on my Apple laptop connected to my home LAN with 5 Macs on it; 2 iBooks, 2 iMacs, and an eMac. Even though this is my first post in these forums, I have the cred to post this request...)

-=edited for the usual tpyos=-
( Last edited by Tijil; Mar 13, 2006 at 08:53 AM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006, 05:08 AM

Tiger.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 05:18 AM

Tigger.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 13, 2006, 08:27 AM

That's a very bad thing you did there yoyoman.

Not very clever either.

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 05:28 PM

Just for the record, this is a portion of the 'bot flood' we got in the chatroom this morning, that essentially prevents legitimate use of the room.

====

[email protected]: Yall got served! Scion = Box with wheels! And the box don't even look that good either!
[email protected]: Yall got served! Scion = Box with wheels! And the box don't even look that good either!
[email protected]: Yall got served! Scion = Box with wheels! And the box don't even look that good either
: [email protected] has left the chat.
: [email protected] has joined the chat.

[email protected]: Box likes these Are all over the roads
[email protected]: http://www.teampneumatik.com/photos/scion/scion-05.jpg
[email protected]: http://www.teampneumatik.com/photos/scion/scion-05.jpg

====

Whether or not members of this site are directly involved (other than some of the IPs matching, and the problems all starting after the first post in this thread) is questionable, but very suspicious.

Having mac.com based attackers spontaneously and randomly discovering the ScionLife chat room at the same time as the above post, and having an IP match confirmed is beyond what one can just ascribe to "coincidence."

Over the years, Mac users have generally been a bit more responsible than this, but there have always, sadly, been a few who enjoy attacking and disrupting things they feel they are not a part of. As most here understand, this is very childish behavior.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Tom

ambush
Banned
Mar 13, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
I want those blotter sheets!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tijil
Yall got served! Scion = Box with wheels! And the box don't even look that good either!

Truth had to be spoken.

*duck*

-t

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006, 07:08 PM

Just for the record, this is a portion of the 'bot flood' we got in the chatroom this morning, that essentially prevents legitimate use of the room.
*snip*

Whether or not members of this site are directly involved (other than some of the IPs matching, and the problems all starting after the first post in this thread) is questionable, but very suspicious.

Having mac.com based attackers spontaneously and randomly discovering the ScionLife chat room at the same time as the above post, and having an IP match confirmed is beyond what one can just ascribe to "coincidence."

Over the years, Mac users have generally been a bit more responsible than this, but there have always, sadly, been a few who enjoy attacking and disrupting things they feel they are not a part of. As most here understand, this is very childish behavior.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Tom
That's pretty lame that someone spammed your chat and I certainly hope that if it was our members involved, it was just one or two of the more childish members of this mob.

I only posted in the thread to poke a little fun as I had no clue what the OP was talking about. But I did happen to have some tiger pics from earlier this winter, so you know .

Sorry your room got hit Tom. Kiddies and the net, you know how it goes...
Nemo me impune lacesset

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2006, 07:24 PM

It looks like a bunch of those guys had Spymac addresses. It could have been people from there...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
It looks like a bunch of those guys had Spymac addresses. It could have been people from there...
I dunno. That's what they want you to believe, but seems a little too simple...

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
I want those blotter sheets!
I can fax you some.

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 07:38 AM

Those 'spymac' looking accounts have the 'spymac' name to the left of the '@' - they all have 'mac.com' domains...

Considering that all the (identical) posts hit in coordinated clumps, this also looks 'automated.'

Anyway, of you guys happen to run into some bozos doing things like this and giving Mac users a bad name, give 'em some lumps for me, eh?

Thanks!
Tom

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 14, 2006, 07:47 AM

Either one of two things happened.

yoyoman is from spymac, and they are trying to cause problems with these two groups.

OR

Someone from here flooded the rooms with addresses made to think it was spymac.

Either way, lame script kiddies.

It takes lots of knowledge to run pre-compiled scripts!

This lame stuff was going on in IRC over a decade ago. And they were made fun of back then.

So whoever done this, you sir are a LooOoooOoOzer.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 03:34 AM

It was not me. It is just people with apple computers happened to join the room. I for one just pressed puma as a joke once long and stumbled across a bunch of users. Iv stumbled across several rooms like SEX was a room for about 6 months than it died. Apple was a room for short time. Any one could have joined the room. It is not like a private room and no I do not use spy mac forums. I am looking at the log and those are all just ichat users. Noting more.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:49 AM. )

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 06:15 AM

I'll tell ya what, Jim.

Before you posted "How come I do not see people go in the tiger and scionlife room in Ichat?" the only people that even knew the ScionLife AIM chat existed were the folks who had visited scionlife.com and came to chat (or ar least check out the chat).

We had never had an invasion of any sort, and certainly never had a bunch of Mac folks intent on making the chatroom unusable.

Almost immediately after you posted above, we had 'em.

I know 'common knowledge' says that if you sit a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, they will eventually key in the entire works of Shakespeare. (Personally I think Usenet and IRC disproved that long ago... )

What, however, are the chances of rogue Mac users randomly typing "ScionLife" in the 'Go to Chat' window of iChat co-incident with your making that post, if the two were totally unrelated?

You may not have intended trying to destroy a chat others have used for over a year with your post, but I DO NOT understand what your intent was in sending random Mac users to a chat dedicated to Scion cars.

I know you are a scionlife.com member (D__________) and I also know you have been a visitor to the ScionLife AIM chat (r________). Did you somehow get upset with someone there and want to cause some disruption?

Actually I can believe you did not directly make all those posts causing the repeated disruptions in the ScionLife chat, but I do not believe you were innocent of being a cause... The coincidence theory just doesn't wash.

I'm also quite aware of discussions about the ScionLife AIM chat in the tiger AIM chat, and I have also observed directly your camping in both ScionLife and tiger.

Too many coincidences in too many areas.

You claim not to have the faintest idea what is going on, yet your IDs, and your IP end up in the middle of this (confirmed by RR and AOL), along with your being the OP in this thread...

Now that I've explained why I don't buy "It was not me. It is just people with apple computers happened to join the room," would you care to explain what your actual intent was in directing Mac users to a Scion chat room?

I'm open to talking this out with you (and you know I am fair), so if you have something you need to say, I'll listen.

Tom
ScionLife Moderator
Mac user since '86...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 06:22 AM

Well, the thing that doesn't come together for me is that all those different users posting the exact same messages in the chat at the same time must have taken a little coordination. It seems to me that yoyoman would have had to have done more than just post "hey, check out this room" in order to cause the result you saw, unless someone else saw his post and decided independently to be malicious...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 06:42 AM

I suspect that "all those users" may simply be a script on a machine, Charles.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 15, 2006, 08:20 AM

Yes, scripts easily do that. Automated. No need for multiple users.

The called them "Script Kiddies" because it WAS usually a kid doing it. Or some adult that had social problems.

Lowest form of life on the internet right next to spammers.

(Cept for the obvious really evil people)

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006, 08:53 PM

lol

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 07:28 PM

Just for interest, this is the latest Mac user to wander in to ScionLife from the Tiger chat room:

Take a bow, Mike.
http://www.evite.com/pages/gt/people...3Ql7WIOOhPL54=

Enjoy spouting obscenities for everyone?

Your friends G5ANDY and [email protected] didn't stay as long as you did. I notice the 'bots came and went with the [email protected] ID.

Tom

(Complete log of chat available.)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 18, 2006, 07:37 PM

tiger
Where, where?!?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 18, 2006, 08:09 PM

Just for interest, this is the latest Mac user to wander in to ScionLife from the Tiger chat room:

Take a bow, Mike.
http://www.evite.com/pages/gt/people...3Ql7WIOOhPL54=

Enjoy spouting obscenities for everyone?

Your friends G5ANDY and [email protected] didn't stay as long as you did. I notice the 'bots came and went with the [email protected] ID.

Tom

(Complete log of chat available.)

pwwwwwwwwnt

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2006, 09:57 PM

I suspect that "all those users" may simply be a script on a machine, Charles.
Is it possible to spoof your address on AIM now or something? Because those were all mac.com accounts, and mac.com accounts cost money, so I couldn't really imagine one person registering that many of them just to flood a chat room.

Or am I missing something really obvious?

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 11:46 PM

I have no idea if those are legit accounts or who owns them, but todays logins/outs followed a distinct pattern. The two loosers calling themselves g5andy and mikevangorkom joined, there was a long pause, and then the 'kristie' ID joined, followed by a short pause and then the flood 'bots. The 'bots stayed for a couple of minutes with no posts, then backed out in exact reverse order of their arrival, followed immediately by the 'kristi' ID.

In the mean time, g5andy (who stayed for 15 minutes) and mikevangorkom (who stayed for 30 minutes) bombarded the chat with obscenities and in general were nuisances.
2:55 PM
g5andy has joined this chat.
mikevangorkom has joined this chat.
[email protected] has joined this chat.

[email protected] has left this chat.
3:00 PM
I know trying to use any of my old mac.com IDs on AIM gets rejected bacause they no longer validate with Apple, but I don't know if there are ways to 'spoof' a mac.com address.

Since we all run chat logs that record all chat content, I suspect having numerous similar logs, from different platforms and apps, would make it easy to validate these IDs with Apple...

Anyone have a good contact at mac.com?

Tom

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 12:50 AM

This is one of the most odd threads I've ever seen on this board.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
This is one of the most odd threads I've ever seen on this board.
oddest, that is !

-t

Tijil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 01:03 AM

Yeah, started weird and went from there to very odd. Sorry for extending it, but the whole problem started immediately after the OP here by a ScionLife.com member. I doubt the folks here are directly involved, but...

Thanks for your patience, and have a good day!

Tom

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 12:41 AM

okay??!?!?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 12:52 AM

Yeah, started weird and went from there to very odd. Sorry for extending it, but the whole problem started immediately after the OP here by a ScionLife.com member. I doubt the folks here are directly involved, but...

Thanks for your patience, and have a good day!

Tom
You have been nothing but kind and forthright in here. And you do you homework very well.

Feel free to stop in anytime and give us a holler.

Forum Links
Forum Rules