Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Weird Sherlock Problem

Weird Sherlock Problem
atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 11:21 AM

OK - the set-up:

I have had to set-up a user under restricted Finder (for his own "protection"). Recently, Sherlock has started acting up in a most confusing way.

When loading Sherlock, all of the channels are labelled "CHANNEL_NAME". Clicking on any of them results in a blank Sherlock window, no access to the content. The preferences window is also blank.

Using an admin-level user, Sherlock loads fine. Creating a new user (albeit at the admin level), Sherlock works fine.

When rebuilding Sherlock's set of channels (getting rid of com.apple.Sherlock.plist, and the two Cache folders in the Library folder), Sherlock is OK on the two admin accounts, but results in the same problem on the limited account.

Changing the limited account to an Admin account has no effect.

Now, of course, the simple solution would be to create a new user, and move all his stuff over, but that would be super-annoying changing all the privileges...

Anyone ever seen this one before? Apple's KBase comes up blank on this one.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 08:02 PM

I had this problem too, but I don't remember how I fixed it. Now my Sherlock just hangs forever on "Loading Internet..." or "Loading Movies..."

Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules