Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Positive experiences with Norton AntiVirus 9.0.2 under OS 10.3.5?

Positive experiences with Norton AntiVirus 9.0.2 under OS 10.3.5?
Tennberg
Aug 23, 2004, 12:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently built a corporate standard image for all of our Macs based on OS 10.3.5. The last piece I need to put on there is an antivirus solution. I know some of you will say "It's a Mac, there's no need for virus software." However, I am more worried about the Mac acting as a carrier between two PCs in our environment.

Swe have a license agreement with Symantec for AntiVirus Corporate Edition on all of our Windows machines, I thought it best to keep it consistent on the Mac side.

I am wondering if anyone has had a good experience running NAV 9.0.2 under OS 10.3 or higher, preferably 10.3.5. I know some people have had not-so-great experiences with this product, but I am more interested in the positive ones.

Thanks!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 01:45 PM

I've had no problems with it running (10.3.5). Works well too, considering the fact it did pick up a pc virus that was on a zip given to me by some relatives which I'm guessing didn't have antivirus on their machine(s).
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 05:22 PM

NAV 9.0.2 has been just fine with me under 10.3.5...

Tennberg  (op)
Aug 23, 2004, 08:25 PM

OptimusG4, gorickey:

I've read other people's comments saying that leaving Auto-Protect always on or having NAV in the startup items folder would cause tons of problems. Have either of you had these two set, or did you leave them off?

Thanks!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Tennberg:
OptimusG4, gorickey:

I've read other people's comments saying that leaving Auto-Protect always on or having NAV in the startup items folder would cause tons of problems. Have either of you had these two set, or did you leave them off?

Thanks!
In my images, I have Auto-Protect always on; however, I don't believe NAV resides in the "Login Items" folder...if it does, again...no problems here at all.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:54 PM

For me auto-protect is on but nothing in the login items either. The startup items folder I believe is what keeps the auto-protect running in the background. And it works beautifully..for testing, I found a .pif file on the net and downloaded it and Norton automatcially quarantined it...so I know it works. All this on an iBook G4/384MB RAM and I've noticed no slowdown at all.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 02:18 AM

Does it still dump a bunch of .kexts in /System/Library/Extensions?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 07:52 AM

I'm also using NAV 9.0.2 with 10.3.5 without a problem so far. Autoprotect is on, but I have nothing in the login items.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Does it still dump a bunch of .kexts in /System/Library/Extensions?
What's a bunch? I count 3 or 4 I believe...

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 09:06 AM

No problems here. AutoProtect runs, or is at least enabled, and the weekly updtaes install without issue.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
What's a bunch? I count 3 or 4 I believe...
Argh, I fail to understand why a program that basically scans files needs to install all those damn extensions to make one's system unstable...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Argh, I fail to understand why a program that basically scans files needs to install all those damn extensions to make one's system unstable...
But it doesn't make it unstable.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
But it doesn't make it unstable.

Any time you add to /System/Library/Extensions, you significantly increase the chance of your computer becoming unstable.

And I can say that those damn Norton extensions do make my boot CDs panic all the time. And I have read plenty of reports on the Internet about people getting kernel panics which went away when they removed the Norton extensions...

I just don't understand why kernel extensions are required for what is basically a file scanner.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 07:20 PM

I too am not crazy about all those ktext files or whatever, but as many know, MFI hosts a special Norton/Symantec Forum. I have seen precious few cases where problems are not resolved to the satisfaction of the poster.

Admittedly, one should not have to go this route, but the issues are solvable.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules