Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any way to increase the size of AW's spellchecker database...

Any way to increase the size of AW's spellchecker database...
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2005, 11:56 AM

I asked about this years ago, and I wasn't able to find a fix. I am really hoping that with the new impovements to the system, that there is now a solution.

The problem is that I need to store many medical terms in my spellchecker but I've maxed out the capacity of AppleWork's database (whatever it is) that holds all the "learned" words. So, does anyone know how to manually increase the size of this database? I'm guessing that it's just set to some arbitrary number that Apple feels is adequate for most users - but not me! I mean, I just can't believe that this would be so difficult to do.
( Last edited by The Wolf; Oct 29, 2005 at 01:47 PM. )

viruscool
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2005, 06:00 AM

Not tried this, but have you tried deleting the other language dictionaries that you don't need?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2005, 10:56 AM

:double post:
( Last edited by The Wolf; Oct 30, 2005 at 11:03 AM. )

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2005, 10:57 AM

hrmm, no but my understanding is that the 'learned' words are in a User Dictionary dictionary located in Applications > AppleWorks > AppleWorks Essentials > Dictionaries

While the other language dictionaries also reside in that location, the problem (I think) is that my User Dictionary (with the learned words) is a completely separate dictionary than the foreign language dictionaries, and that each dictionary has it's own maximum size that is predetermined by Apple.

Therefore, merely deleting a different dictionary will most likely not increase the size of the one I'm saving my learned words to (at least this is my very-uneducated guess).

viruscool
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2005, 01:10 PM

Thats what I was thinking. The only way would be to change the code itself, no idea where to find the code that needs changing, or what to change. Maybe someone else could suggest something.
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

Forum Links
Forum Rules