Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no modem sound on G4???

no modem sound on G4???
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 07:13 AM

I purchased a dual processor G4 about a month ago. About 3 weeks ago my modem stopped making any noise. It still works (as good as the built in Apple modems can, anyway) but I just can no get it to make noise. I prefer listening to the sound because then I know if there is a problem connecting, which there often is.

My modem control panel tells me that sound is On. And I don't know of any other setting that would turn it off.

->Later.....Spice

atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 01:45 PM

After remembering the modem script(s) that you use, try dumping the modem prefs...

Then, when you re-open the Modem control panel, although you'll have to re-enter your info, it's worth a shot...

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 06:08 PM

I didn't think of that. Thanks. I tried it and it didn't work, but it was worth a shot. Any other ideas?

->Later.....Spice

evlnte
Sep 18, 2000, 06:35 PM

I had the same problem after changing the settings in the Sounds control panel. Go to the section about "allow playback through speakers" or something like that and make sure it is checked. You might have to change your sound input source or you'll get immediate feedback.

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 08:51 PM

That did it! Thanks!

Strange that they should duplicate the option in the Sound control panel.

->Later.....Spice

Forum Links
Forum Rules