Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro not so Pro?

Macbook Pro not so Pro?
viruscool
Forum Regular
May 28, 2007, 02:47 PM

Lately my Macbook Pro (2.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Harddrive and 256MB X1600) has been feeling slow and sluggish. More specifically, some programs will take 3-4 seconds to open from new and sometimes beach-ball during this time, Dashboard takes a few seconds to open, where as it used to open instantly. It is especially slow on on start up, to the point where I can not use the notebook for at least 2-3 minutes after the desktop has appeared. I've tried to see which process/es are slowing the system down on start up, but can't see anything strange, however the harddrive seems to be working away during the 2-3 minutes that the computer is unusable. Another point to make is that more often than not, my page ins and page outs are very close, even though I never max out my RAM usage, never really use more that 1GB apart from when I play WoW. I have about 45GB left of my harddrive so that shouldn't be a problem.

I use the Macbook for surfing the net, IMing, IRC chat, iTunes, Photoshop and playing WoW mostly. I also use Shapeshifter, synergy, awaken, adium, growl and little snitch which run constantly in the background. I've just restarted my laptop and my page ins and outs are 40865/533, so already some page outs and i've only got the basic apps open. I've heard many bad things about Shapeshifter, but I thought that the macbook pro would be good enough to handle shapeshifter without it slowing down, could it be shapeshifer?

Just wondering if this is normal for a laptop that I was expecting fly, especially looking at the specs.

Hope this information is enough, as you can imagine I was really hoping this machine to fly, especially at the mundane tasks of surfing the net and listening to music etc. I get embarrassed when the computer is being really slow when I'm showing my PC mates something, as I always rave on about how fast the laptop is, makes me look like a liar

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
( Last edited by viruscool; May 28, 2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo's)
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by viruscool View Post
I've heard many bad things about Shapeshifter, but I thought that the macbook pro would be good enough to handle shapeshifter without it slowing down, could it be shapeshifer?
Only one way to find out. Turn ShapeShifter off, and see if your problems persist.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

viruscool  (op)
Forum Regular
May 28, 2007, 03:22 PM

Turned Shapeshifter off and the problem at startup still prevails, as do programs taking a couple of seconds to open up. Another problem I forgot to mention was spotlight, doesn't seem to be instant, it sits their spinning for about 3-4 seconds before bringing back my results, I thought it was meant to be like iTunes, search while I type?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2007, 03:31 PM

Try logging in while holding down the Shift key. That will disable all your login items. This way, you can see if a login item is the cause of your problems. If it is, then it's a matter of turning off login items one by one until you find the culprit.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 03:33 PM

The issue could be filesystem fragmentation ... but it sounds more like you're running low on RAM based on the disk thrashing you describe.

viruscool  (op)
Forum Regular
May 28, 2007, 03:35 PM

I have about 45Gb of space left out of the initial 160Gb, I have been downloading large files lately, maybe this may be a problem? Anyway of cleaning up the harddrive?

I will try the login items now, see if any are the culprit.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by viruscool View Post
I have about 45Gb of space left out of the initial 160Gb, I have been downloading large files lately, maybe this may be a problem? Anyway of cleaning up the harddrive?

I will try the login items now, see if any are the culprit.
The login with the shift key and defragging are good suggestions. When you say that you have 45GB left you are also saying that you have only about 28% free space. I suspect that you would benefit from a defrag.

Here is one official statement about defrag:
About disk optimization with Mac OS X

I found that an occasional defrag helped my PowerBook. I use a manual process of tarring most of my files then deleting the old files from disk, then untarring them in a specific order. There are also defrag utilities you can buy (iDefrag). Maybe there is now a free defrag tool that is good, but I don't know.

One suggestion would be to move some of your biggest files to an external hard drive and delete them from your computer. The goal would be to have 50% of your hard drive free to allow OS X to automatically keep fragmentation to a minimum. If you put some files on the external drive, you should also keep a 2nd copy elsewhere if the files are important!

After you move the biggest files permantly to an external disk, you might try a simple version of a defrag, which would be to
0) First test this procedure on a junk folder until you are confident that you know what you are doing.
1) Use Disk Utility (in Applications->Utilities) to create an image of your home folder and another for your Applications folder and one for any other giant folder that you made (menu command Images->New->Image from Folder). Do not touch any system folders.
2) Boot from the OS X install disk with the external hard drive attached.
3) Delete the folders from your hard drive that you have archived on your external hard drive--be sure that you have a DOUBLE copy of the most important files.
4) Open Terminal (in Applications->Utilities) and run ditto to copy the files back to your hard drive (for help on this. For help on this command type this in a Terminal window: man ditto. The command would look something like this:
sudo ditto -rsrcFork -X /Volumes/ExternalHardDrive/Applications /Applications

The option for -rsrcFork is needed only for 10.3 and earlier, and is default for 10.4.

After you do this, it will take a while to reindex everything. You might want to attempt to reindex by right-clicking on a folder and clicking the "index now" button.
( Last edited by rehoot; May 28, 2007 at 05:02 PM. )

viruscool  (op)
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:21 AM

I tried logging in holding down the shift key, no login items started, but the system was still unusable for 2-3 minutes. However I did looking in activity monitor again and I found that the harddrive was reading and writing a lot (you could hear it as wel) and mdimport and mdsync were the only processes using a fair amount of my CPU. Should these processes freeze the system up sooo much?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 03:33 AM

No, they shouldn't. That's Spotlight's indexing engine. :-\

viruscool  (op)
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:40 AM

Thats what I was thinking, and because they are reading/writing to the harddrive so much, applications take forever to start (sometimes until they have stoped working away), files in the finer take forever to appear, especially the applications folder. This is only after a restart mind you, but I often need to boot in and out of Windows, so this can get quite frustrating, as you could imagine. Any ideas why spotlight is acting this way?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2007, 04:10 AM

You could try deleting the Spotlight cache and starting over with it. Drag your hard drive into Spotlight's Privacy pane to clear out the index, then remove it and reboot and it should start indexing again. It will, of course, be slow while it does its reindex, but after that, it might be normal again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2007, 04:15 AM

Have you tried getting Spotlight to recreate the indexes from scratch? You can add your partitions to the Spotlight Privacy panel to have the indexes removed. Then remove the partitions from the panel and Spotlight will index them again. Let it do finish that. Does the problem persist?

Of course you can also try adding the Windows partition to the Spotlight Privacy panel to prevent Spotlight from trying to access it.

[Oops, looks like CharlesS just beat me to it]

Ado
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 06:21 AM

I have same problem.

I am putting it down to this happening two os updates ago.
Imagine is apple was purposley slowing down the OS just before the next major release?

Turning off shapeshifter doesnt work.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2007, 10:31 AM

Another thread suggested this idea that worked for me. Create a new profile and observe if your performance improves. If it does at least you have a sense where to start looking.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Imagine is apple was purposley slowing down the OS just before the next major release?
Computer problems might be frustrating, but I assure you that Apple would attain no benefit from rendering their computer useless by intentionally making them slow as possible.

pjosborne
May 29, 2007, 11:55 AM

I too have the same slow startup issue. Once the desktop appears, it's a good 60 seconds (though it feels about 5 mins) before the system is responsive. If I *do* click on any apps during this period, they take forever to launch (almost like they make the whole issue even worse). Unlike you I have only 65GB used (84GB free) on my HD so I'm not convinced it is fragmentation as some replies suggested. I did wonder if growl might be to blame, but given you've started with the shift-button down I won't investigate that further (great news since growl is so useful )
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

gheff
May 29, 2007, 02:08 PM

Obligatory "me too."

I have essentially the same system as the OP and I can count on a very sluggish system on startup. I haven't timed it, but 1 or 2 minutes seems reasonable. I haven't taken any steps to troubleshoot yet. Though I think that I noticed it happening after either the 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 update. (Updated using Software Update.) I think it was .9, but I can't be certain.

I don't run any of startup items that others have mentioned though that seems not to be an issue.

Part of me would like to roll back to 10.4.7 and see if there is a correlation., but I don't have the time for that at the moment.

I'll look at active processes next time I start up.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:58 PM

Just hold shift down the next time you start up. It only temporarily disables third party drivers etc until you shut down - next start up will load things as normal.

If that doesn't help, try holding shift down as you log in to your account - as well as disabling your account's Login items and third party fonts, this will move a number of cache files which are potentially corrupted etc to the Trash and create them anew. As with the shift key on system boot, this is a temporary disablement of your Login items and fonts until the next time you log in.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2007, 08:02 AM

Once again, the problem is Application Enhancer (framework of Shapeshifter). Absolutely certain. You might see a task in Activity Monitor called 'update prebinding' at close to 100% usage for a few minutes after starting up. You were right to think you should turn off Shapeshifter, but in fact you need to remove all traces of APE. Download the installer from Unsanity's website, run it and choose to uninstall.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 03:41 PM

That goddamn piece of ****.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2007, 03:57 PM

Good thread here guys...

My MBP 15-inch 2.16 GHz Core Duo with 1 GB of RAM and 100 GB HD does a lot heavy lifting for me... I live in Final Cut Pro and After Effects and I spend an enormous amount of time in Aperture, Logic Express, Maya, Zbrush and Modo. All power apps...

To keep my machine running at optimal levels here are a few things that I do, not saying that anyone has not tried any of these or something different that could be more efficient.

After my initial setup I always create a separate user profile that I only touch when my main profile starts acting up.... that way I can see if it is a machine problem or an user problem 95% of the time it is the latter.

Do a Safe Boot that's where you boot up holding down the shift key launch disk utility and repair disk permissions if you run this once a week a lot issue can be avoided....

After that is done put in your systems disk boot up in it and launch disk utility and run disk repair....

Start up the computer once again go into system preferences then go to accounts then go to login items delete everything or delete what apps you do not want starting when you boot up

If any problems still exist clean out your cache and preferences....

From there it is good to have you a copy of Tech Tools Pro or Disk Warrior if not both running these apps at least once a month can prevent you from having a lot of downtime.

Also give iDefrag a try I know people on both size of the fences when comes to defragging a Mac but if you are constantly dealing with files over 20Mb it is a good ideal....

After all of this if your machine is still a little sluggish maybe it is time to do a clean install of Mac OSX it hurts
I know it does but it works and if it does not that clears all doubt your problem is a hardware issue and we all know what that means...

Applecare...

These simple little task keeps my machine and HD in great condition...

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2007, 07:34 PM

I had similar sluggish experiences with my MBP, and its not even a month old. Specs are in my sig.

My perception of this machine... my iBook felt just as "fast" as this one does. Many times the iBook felt faster running the same programs. The only difference between my iBook and the MBP, the MBP has iMovie and iDVD installed. Other than that, they're carbon copies software wise.

I also use shape shifter, I've never experienced issues from Shape Shifter, or caused by SS.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

ghporter
Administrator
May 31, 2007, 08:25 PM

My 2.0GHz Core Duo MBP seems "zippy" as all get out. It's quick to load things (especially since I upped the RAM to 2GB), and is particularly good with those Rosetta-bound apps like MS Office.

Unless people are expecting the machine to read their minds and do what they're thinking before they move the cursor, I don't know what more you'd want.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
I had similar sluggish experiences with my MBP, and its not even a month old. Specs are in my sig. My perception of this machine... my iBook felt just as "fast" as this one does. Many times the iBook felt faster running the same programs.
I also use shape shifter, I've never experienced issues from Shape Shifter, or caused by SS.
OMG. You have never experienced an issue with SS, but your MBP feels as fast as your iBook...?

Get rid of SS/AE for crying out loud. If my MBP felt as fast as my old iBook I'd throw it against the next brick wall.

pvito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 10:44 AM

Shapeshifter and Application Enhancer - I have found the installing these on my mac mini caused similar issues. Once I removed them and ran yasu things seemed to work a lot smoother...
Windows is so broken I can't even
believe it!

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2007, 12:38 PM

get rid of APE. there's been a few threads in the mac pro forum with people (including myself) that had major startup and application launch issues because of APE. i'm at work so i can't really search for the thread just this minute but it's there somewhere.

for myself, i used to use APE for the 'instant hijack' feature in audio hijack pro. the only drawback was that my mac pro would take forever to startup, it had ungodly amounts of disk activity and noise, and applications would bounce forever before they actually launched.

it has something to do with old PPC code, prebinding or something like that. i'm not that tech savvy so someone with more knowledge can break it down better. all i know is that after uninstalling it my mac pro went back to normal.

hope that helps.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2007, 03:35 PM

Download the latest version of APE.

And read this for the explanation. Unsanity.org: APE and Rosetta: The Battle's Done and We Kind of Won So We Sound our Victory Cheer

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
I had similar sluggish experiences with my MBP, and its not even a month old. Specs are in my sig.

My perception of this machine... my iBook felt just as "fast" as this one does. Many times the iBook felt faster running the same programs. The only difference between my iBook and the MBP, the MBP has iMovie and iDVD installed. Other than that, they're carbon copies software wise.

Taking a WILD guess, I'd say you are experiencing serious issues from Shape Shifter, caused by SS.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2007, 12:40 PM

Fruitmenu was causing slow startups on my mac as it did something (set permissions I think). DL the new APE and FruitMenu and your startup should speed up (that is, if you use those apps).

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2007, 10:14 PM

I have always had the latest SS, APE, OS X as well as the latest theme release.
Nothing helped.
Deactivated SS and APE now everything is quick again.

Shame....Im soo sick of OSX UI.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2007, 12:07 PM

I guess I should add.... I installed SS after I got my MBP running and setup the way I wanted. Its always the last thing I install. From the moment I started up my MBP after opening the box for the first time and giving it a clean install removing all the preinstall software I didn't want.... and installing only updates listed in Apple Software Update..... it felt just the same as my iBook.

Shape Shifter didn't make things seem slower to me. ANd honestly, if I have to choose between things feeling a bit faster and having to look at the default theme in OS X.... sadly I'd choose a loss in speed. I tend to get about 15-30 minutes extra battery life when I use darker themes without having to resort to dropping the brightness down to just one notch.

Anologika >> negative, I meant exactly what I typed out. I have never experienced issues with Shape Shifter, nor have I experienced issues caused by Shape Shifter.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2007, 12:15 PM

Have you looked at installing Uno or some other theme via an installer instead of SS?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2007, 12:26 PM

cgc >> never heard of Uno. I did a quick google search and took a look at their site. Correct me if I'm wrong here, basically Uno just does what Aqua should have done and made everything uniform, or look as if it flows together. In the end, I just have a "fixed" version of Aqua?

My reason for liking shape shifter is it lets me actually theme the entire OS. Granted, some theme authors don't make their themes work correctly with all apps, but that I"m okay with. As much time as I spend with my Mac (and I'm sure most of you spend with yours), I don't want to stare at Aqua all day. Its a minor thing, but I just hate the look of the GUI. It to me seems just like the default XP theme. LIke it belongs on a child's toy. Just my view on it though... I just don't like Aqua. Shape Shifter lets me pick what I want, and at the end of the day I want that choice.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 06:54 PM

LOL, funny, how everyone keeps posting new ideas even though the OP hasn't posted since May 29th. Since I'm here I will post my 2 cents worth. When my Mac starts doing a 180 which is rare or if I just want to do a system cleanup I just pop in the install disc and Archive and Install. A new system folder almost always takes care of any problem and of course the most effect way to solve software issues is to erase, reformat and install.

viruscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2007, 07:05 PM

I've been reading your posts as soon as they've been posted, just been testing out some of the advice. In response to hldan, although that may work I'd rather not have to reinstall me system every few months, I thought I had left that behind when I switched to the macintosh. I've decided to run the system without Shapeshifter or APE installed for a few days and see what happens, if it improves, I'll have to look into using a theme like Uno, that does not require shapeshifter. Just something to throw out, I have an uptime of 4 days now, and my pageins/pageouts are 292997/254407, do I need to upgrade my RAM, even though I have 2GB?

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Once again, the problem is Application Enhancer (framework of Shapeshifter). Absolutely certain. You might see a task in Activity Monitor called 'update prebinding' at close to 100% usage for a few minutes after starting up. You were right to think you should turn off Shapeshifter, but in fact you need to remove all traces of APE. Download the installer from Unsanity's website, run it and choose to uninstall.

I agree, I had that same POS software that was loaded unknowingly with Audio Hijack. When I deleted it, all was ok again.

Application Enhancer is CRAP!
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

djbeta
Aug 27, 2007, 07:53 PM

Hi there,

I have a new MacBook Pro, 2.4 Ghz, 2Gb Ram and had a one second lag when trying to grab and move windows. I ran the optimization in OnyX (complete), and after that, the machine is as zippy as I think it should be. Not sure what was causing the sluggishness though.... I *do* have Application Enhancer running as part of an Audio Hijack Pro installation. So... perhaps that has something to do with this..

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 08:21 PM

viruscool: If you want to change OSX's skin, I'd also recommend you try Iridium--it reskins almost everything, barring only iTunes and iPhoto in my experience, and I find it vastly preferably to the brushed metal look. It comes with its own installer, so thus bypasses Shapeshifter, which appears to be causing, or at least contributing to, your problem. I use it on all three of my Macs, and it causes no performance hit that I can detect.

The only downside with it is that every time you install an OS update (from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, for example), it resets back to brushed metal and requires a reinstall of Iridium. However, as major 'point' releases are relatively rare, it's not a major issue, and it only takes about a minute to install it again.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 11:32 PM

i run shapeshifter, fruitmenu, cleardock, AND mighty mouse on my powerbook G4 AND my new mac mini, and no problems.

i DO see a little slowdown on my powerbook, but...the functionality & aesthetics more than make up for it.

on the mini, everything is flying, and am happy...

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 04:43 AM

Hi there,
I run the latest APE in conjunction with ClearDock on my new 2.4 MBP with 2Gb of RAM with no real speed loss.
I totally agree with ghporter's previous post:

"Unless people are expecting the machine to read their minds and do what they're thinking before they move the cursor, I don't know what more you'd want".

Some folk tend to forget now and then that computers are only machines - created by humans and programed by humans ....
( Last edited by voicebox; Aug 28, 2007 at 04:59 AM. )
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules