Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't boot from NUM 5.0 CD

Can't boot from NUM 5.0 CD
Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 04:55 AM

Whenever I try to boot from the Norton Utilities 5.0 CD, my iMac DV boots from the internal hard disk. I've tried setting the startup disk to NUM and I've tried pressing Command-C at startup. Neither works.

I can boot from the OS install disk that came with the iMac and I can boot from the OS9 install disk.

The NUM disk will boot on my 7300/180.

I'm stumped; any suggestions other than calling Symantec?

Ster
Nov 22, 1999, 10:58 AM

hi,
quick idea: search the message forum. this topic is well known and well discussed.
hope that helps,
ster

Michelle Steiner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 01:22 PM

I searched the message boards and couldn't find anything on it; I found lots on other Norton issues though.

Someone on the MacFixit board said that the problem is that the Norton CD has the wrong ROM file for the iMacDV.

--Michelle

Ster
Nov 22, 1999, 01:34 PM

hi,
that's correct. and it's on this board too. i don't read macfixit (though i probably should), and i knew about this problem from this forum
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/000577.html
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/000662.html

note to everyone: remember to search before you ask :-)
-ster

NilesDonegan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2000, 02:51 AM

I just encountered the same problem of not being able to boot from the Norton Utilities 5.0 Disk on my iMac DV. And searching didn't really give any good answers on this topic, thank you very much.
What I found worked for me was to boot from my OS9 disk and drag the whole Norton Utilities folder from my hard drive (including the Norton Shared Library Extension, now in the Norton Tools directory) to my Zip250 USB (I was a bit surprised it worked off the OS9 CD boot). I was then able to (slowly) run the Speed Disk program on my Hard Drive, as the active System Folder was off of the OS9 disk, and the Norton programs were running off the Zip.

Cheers,
Niles

[This message has been edited by NilesDonegan (edited 01-09-2000).]

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jan 13, 2000, 06:21 PM

I think the root of this problem comes from the fact that the Norton CD does not contain the OS Rom file that iMacs need when booting up. The included system CD's do however have this needed Rom file on the disk, which explains why you can boot from those CD's, and not the Norton one. It's stupid I know.. And a pain in the arse as it makes optimising the hard drive a nightmare...

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jan 13, 2000, 06:32 PM

PS, Niles, Can you explain to me a little more about where you put the shared library extension? As I want to try and do what you said, in order that I can optimise my drive. And surely I don't need to copy everything over to the Zip disk? Why not just the speed disk utility by itself? (Oh, And I am running OS 8.6 with a regular USB 100meg Zip drive, But this should not matter) Thanks in advance for any advice..

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2000, 07:01 PM

Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk will function perfectly well by just copying them (the applications Disk Doctor and Speed Disk) and the Norton Shared Library file to a Zip, make a new folder on that Zip and place all three in that folder.

Startup from an Apple CD and run Norton's from Zip...

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2000, 11:41 PM

You can get the latest CD-ROM from Symantec that will boot an iMacDV. It requires Norton 5.0.3 to work.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules