Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Personal Web Sharing

Personal Web Sharing
Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 1999, 04:39 PM

I'm trying to use personal web sharing in Mac OS 9 on a PowerMac 7200/90. I have it set to use File Sharing permissions. When someone connects, they get a dialog to enter their user name and password. When they click OK, they can look at the web site. That's how it's supposed to work, and how it sometimes works.

More often than not, though, they get a message (sometimes instead of the dialog, and sometimes after the dialog) saying "The server could not complete the request at this time because of limited resources (such as out of memory or disk space)."

I have plenty of disk space, and although there is on 64 megs of RAM on the computer (with 65 megs of VM), there is still plenty of free RAM according to the "About this Macintosh" dialog.

I searched the Apple Tech Info Library site, and couldn't find anything helpful.

Does anyone here know how I can get this to work properly?

--Michelle

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 03:09 PM

See if you can assign more memory to Web Sharing Extension either directly through Command-I or through a ResEdit hack.

drewman

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 1999, 06:51 PM

Actually, the prefered method is under edit menu, choose prefrences, and then change the memory allocation to something like 2400k. This is what worked for me

------------------
-See Yea!

cfoster611
Dec 31, 1999, 11:09 PM

This may happen when you try to pull up the web site under permissions and file sharing is starting up. Well, thats what I think.

arzachel
Mar 25, 2000, 03:42 PM

Anyone else run into this problem w/Web Sharing?: authentication almost always fails for me-- I change the password in users & groups, I even click on "give everyone read-only access", & still I get "Authentication failed, retry?"

Really frustrating--

Forum Links
Forum Rules