Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Love OS X, But I need a PC JUST FOR SOUND FORGE...

Love OS X, But I need a PC JUST FOR SOUND FORGE...
templetalker
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 12:36 AM

Hi Mac Bros and Sistas! I use a G4 powerbook and I can't get over the fact that I have to continue to use a PC just for Sound Forge 7.0 and Fruity Loops on Windows. What and when is this madness going to end my friends?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2004, 08:56 AM

FruityLoops you should be able to find a replacement for.

Have you looked at Tracktion ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13883 ) or Ableton Live (pricy, but great software: http://www.ableton.com/ )?

What do you need SoundForge for that nothing else on the Mac side can handle? Or is it the investment into the software?

-s*

templetalker  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
FruityLoops you should be able to find a replacement for.

Have you looked at Tracktion ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13883 ) or Ableton Live (pricy, but great software: http://www.ableton.com/ )?

What do you need SoundForge for that nothing else on the Mac side can handle? Or is it the investment into the software?

-s*

First off Thanks for your reply : )

Sound Forge is a wonderful editing program, its so simple to cut and paste and easily process effects, mixes, and experiment with wave files. There's absolutley no fluidity in PEAK 4 (it lags like hell even with a G5 dual) because of the software writers. I also have to download a large amount of VST plug-ins to match Peak with SF effects and processors that come built in. As far as editing, looping, and mixing sounds in Sound Forge on the spot with drag and drop it's fast and unsurpassed from my experience. Simple, to the point and well organize is SF7. Peak 4 is clunky, graphic intense, and far to complex.
I really want to get rid of my PC, but Sound Forge and Fruity Loops is the only reason I keep it around.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 03:40 PM

Fruity Loops is for audio kiddies. Get Reason.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Fruity Loops is for audio kiddies. Get Reason.
I agree, fruity loops is a child's toy. A combo of reason and ableton live is the best solution. Actually musical even.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 08:16 AM

I use SoundEdit 16 2.07 in Classic.

No, i'm not mad, this is an amazing app if you can still find it.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/sound/

Very stable on my iMac 700 - 10.3.5 (much better classic layer than previous OS's)

Its so simple and so powerful.

templetalker  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
I agree, fruity loops is a child's toy. A combo of reason and ableton live is the best solution. Actually musical even.

I don't think its a childs toy, its a tool and it depends how you use it. I have made some FRESH music in Fruity Loops. I can dig your idea of using Live and Reason. Thanks fellas.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I use SoundEdit 16 2.07 in Classic.

No, i'm not mad, this is an amazing app if you can still find it.
I must admit, I do sometimes miss the simplicity and immediacy of SoundEdit. Never thought about using it in Classic, but I must still have a copy around here somewhere� *begin extended rummaging*

mhodos
Sep 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

I wish I could help the original poster, but instead I'm gonna jump on this thread, while active, to ask a similar question of the audio wizards out there.

My wife does voiceovers for a living from home-- mainly for phone systems (press one for this, your call is very important to us, etc.) and uses a PC. I am a recent switcher, and as her technical (and emotional) support her "department" is switching to Macs. A Sound Forge replacement, but more to the point, file format conversions, is keeping me from placing an order for a new iMac G5.

She could do almost all of her work in Garage Band, she has a good mic and mixer. She is currently using a Gina soundcard, and small Mackie board -- all of which is overkill for her. I bet I could go right from the board to a line-in on a G5 iMac and have acceptable quality. Sometimes her recordings are voice only, and sometimes she adds a music bed. That's about it. I could use a FW audio card if I need better quality voice recording.

The difficulty is that she usually has to convert and export her files to non-mainstream audio formats (RAW music files, mu-LAW, etc.). Quicktime Pro will save as mu-LAW, but I am unsure how to convert to RAW.

I would gladly purchase an audio program like those listed here if they will do the correct conversions. But if there's a less expensive way to get the same results, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by mhodos:

The difficulty is that she usually has to convert and export her files to non-mainstream audio formats (RAW music files, mu-LAW, etc.). Quicktime Pro will save as mu-LAW, but I am unsure how to convert to RAW.

I would gladly purchase an audio program like those listed here if they will do the correct conversions. But if there's a less expensive way to get the same results, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18047

$10.00

mhodos
Sep 29, 2004, 08:09 AM

Thank you very much, if this program works as described, I should be in business.

Mike

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by mhodos:

Mike
Also, Audacity is a good free sound editor that can open/edit/save a variety of formats.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15063

Forum Links
Forum Rules