Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD G4 problems

MDD G4 problems
nshank
Oct 11, 2004, 06:22 PM

Hi,
I have a dual G4 1.25, and I'm having some issues with it. For simple reasons, We'll use the stock config, because no matter what config I use, I have the same problems.
G4 1.25 DP
256M DDR
64M Radeon 9000
Seagate 80G
Toshiba Combo drive

Attached:
Samsung 19" LCD
Apple USB Keyboard and Mouse

Problem:
No matter what I do, under OS X 10.3.X, the system, for lack of a better term, gets stupid. Random lockups, the annoying black screen, application hangs, etc. Usually, I'm doing something that puts about 20%-30% CPU load, running a web browser, iTunes, and Mail. Nothing major.
I can use 10.2.X, and everything's fine. No problem. When I go to 10.3.X, I get all the problems above. I have tried replacing drives, ram, video, etc. The only thing I haven't replace is powersupply, cpu, and board.
I've pulled the drive from this system, and put it in my Dual G4 500. Same problem. Same issues. I've loaded the DP 500, and put it in the MDD, and it works fine for about a day, maybe two, then the same.
I could run 10.2, and it works just fine, but knowing there's something wrong is driving me nuts.
My email is chubblez(at)gmail.com
Thanks for your help,
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

cheezus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 11:25 AM

i had bought that same machine refurb, and it showed up non working. Tech said there's a common problem with the cpus on that model. sent a replacement unit, worked for abouta month then started doing what you described (plus lots of kernel panics)

sent it back and got a refund. now looking for a new mac. for about the same money. Minor video editing (basic iMovie/iDVD) is all I really need above web/mail, so i'm considering an upgrade to my blue g3

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 09:22 PM

It's likely memory related. This includes memory, logic board, and CPU. Corrupted data in your RAM will find its way to your hard drive, which means that replacing the memory does not fix the problem--because the programs on the hard drive are still corrupted. Run your Apple Hardware Test to see if you can get an error. If you get bad RAM, you will need to replace the RAM and reinstall your software.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

nshank  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
It's likely memory related. This includes memory, logic board, and CPU. Corrupted data in your RAM will find its way to your hard drive, which means that replacing the memory does not fix the problem--because the programs on the hard drive are still corrupted. Run your Apple Hardware Test to see if you can get an error. If you get bad RAM, you will need to replace the RAM and reinstall your software.

The original CD's were damaged in a move. Would it be possible to either order or download them from Apple?
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

macbarry
Oct 15, 2004, 10:14 AM

As your running only 256 RAM - the bare minimum to do anything under OSX - I'm wondering if simply adding more RAM might help?

Forum Links
Forum Rules