Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft's Gates endures PC crash during keynote speech at U.S. tech show

Microsoft's Gates endures PC crash during keynote speech at U.S. tech show
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 11:35 AM

http://www.canada.com/news/story.htm...4-ff4a1ef5d39b

NEWS STORY

Microsoft's Gates endures PC crash during keynote speech at U.S. tech show

Rachel Konrad

Canadian Press

January 6, 2005

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Despite suffering through an embarrassing computer crash that prompted jokes and guffaws, Bill Gates promised that Microsoft Corp. would help consumers stay plugged into technology, during a keynote speech Wednesday.

In his seventh annual keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show, Microsoft's chairman explained that the proliferation of high-speed Internet access and the falling price of data storage are compelling people to put music, photos, movies and other aspects of their life into a digital format.

"We predicted at the beginning of this decade that this would be a decade where the digital approach would be taken for granted," Gates told hundreds of technology enthusiasts, who gathered for his kickoff to the world's largest electronics show. "It's going even faster than we expected."

But while promoting what he calls the "digital lifestyle," Gates showed how vulnerable all consumers - even the world's richest man - are to hardware and software bugs.

During a demonstration of digital photography with a soon-to-be-released Nikon camera, a Windows Media Center PC froze and wouldn't respond to Gates' pushing of the remote control.

Later in the 90-minute presentation, a product manager demonstrated the ostensible user-friendliness of a video game expected to hit retail stores in April, Forza Motor Sport. But instead of configuring a custom-designed race car, the computer monitor displayed the dreaded "blue screen of death" and warned, "out of system memory."

The errors - which came during what's usually an ode to Microsoft's dominance of the software industry and its increasing control of consumer electronics - prompted the celebrity host, NBC comedian Conan O'Brien, to quip, "Who's in charge of Microsoft, anyway?"

Gates, who was sitting next to O'Brien on a set staged to look like NBC's Late Night set, smiled dryly and continued with his discussion.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 11:40 AM

If they cant even get these things to work right during the high profile presentations by the owner, what do people think will happen when they use these products at home?

They can talk about speed and price all they want but do these things WORK?

i look in your general direction

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
If they cant even get these things to work right during the high profile presentations by the owner, what do people think will happen when they use these products at home?

There is also the fact that consumers prefer many discreet devices for their media needs rather than one honkin' mass like the Media Center PC.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 11:47 AM

did anyone capture that movie stream?

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by typoon:

But while promoting what he calls the "digital lifestyle," Gates showed ...
Hey, wasn't there some other guy who talked about this sort of thing a few YEARS ago... Steve Jobs perhaps? Good to see MS has got it all working seamlessly!

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Hey, wasn't there some other guy who talked about this sort of thing a few YEARS ago... Steve Jobs perhaps? Good to see MS has got it all working seamlessly!
Yes but you see it's irrelevant because it wasn't Bill Gates or Microsoft. Now that he's said it EVERYONE will be.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 11:56 AM

Is the Windows media center codenamed "athens" ?
That machine is awful !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by PB2K:
Is the Windows media center codenamed "athens" ?
That machine is awful !
I think it's codenamed "YUGO"

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 12:05 PM

Demoing unfinshed ANYTHING is tough to do... but a stupid practice. Either make a fake presentation or a movie, but don't risk something that hasn't been tested up the wazoo in front of thousands of people (unless you're Evil Kneival).

Anyone remember Steve Jobs throwing a digital camera off stage in disgust because the batteries weren't charged?

It always happens to the best of us, no matter what. Look at the Mars Lander missions!
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 12:08 PM

Although how many actual Windows customers will actually know about the crash?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Demoing unfinshed ANYTHING is tough to do... but a stupid practice. Either make a fake presentation or a movie, but don't risk something that hasn't been tested up the wazoo in front of thousands of people (unless you're Evil Kneival).

Anyone remember Steve Jobs throwing a digital camera off stage in disgust because the batteries weren't charged?

It always happens to the best of us, no matter what. Look at the Mars Lander missions!
While that is true the Mac OS X demos have been doing pretty well when Jobs shows them. Also recently his Demos and Stuff seem to be working well. Not anything major that I remember recently.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 12:19 PM

Murphy's law of demos. It will only break when you are demonstrating it to a large group of people.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 01:15 PM

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 01:22 PM

well don't get too cheeky, Steve has had his share of problems with demos also.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 02:28 PM

I don't recall an Apple Computer crashing twice during a demo of a new system designed to streamline use...do you?

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 02:34 PM

Reminds me of that commercial: "Check your autoexec.bat!"
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 02:48 PM

I don't recall an Apple Computer crashing twice during a demo of a new system designed to streamline use...do you?
Twice in one show? I dunno, but remember when steve through the camera at his tech?

Or was it a remote that didn't work?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
but remember when steve through the camera at his tech?
Mwahaha ! That spello made me lawl...
Is that Canadian spelling ?

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 03:11 PM

It is truly appalling that Gates would be credited with the term digital lifestyle. He also pioneered the graphical user interface, don't ya know.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
It is truly appalling that Gates would be credited with the term digital lifestyle. He also pioneered the graphical user interface, don't ya know.
Hey, at least he could be credited for inventing the digital crashstyle...

-t

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 03:39 PM

i thought i also noticed that conan's screen when he and bill were racing was having trouble. it looked it was having some slow down (no i dont mean because of conans driving skill). here's the feed: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1797705

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
i thought i also noticed that conan's screen when he and bill were racing was having trouble. it looked it was having some slow down (no i dont mean because of conans driving skill). here's the feed: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1797705
i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed this.
i mentioned it in this post.

"was it just me or did conan's game die? at the end of when he was play against bill. he was in a wall for most of the race and then rectified himself and then it just did not seem to be going anywhere and going at about 2fps. maybe i was still laughing inside from the previous bluescreen."

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Although how many actual Windows customers will actually know about the crash?
The BBC coverage of Gates didn't even mention any crashes. I think two in one demo is newsworthy!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
Through, threw. Tomato ....

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Um, didn't OS X crash during MWSF 2000 when Phil Schiller was loading Quake 3? I know because I was there. It happens to the best of us.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Um, didn't OS X crash during MWSF 2000 when Phil Schiller was loading Quake 3? I know because I was there. It happens to the best of us.
I blame it on the Windoze code fragments in Quacke 3 !

-t

hayesk
Jan 6, 2005, 06:22 PM

No. He made a mistake.

I'm pretty sure the USA use of through is the same as Canada - although some seem intent on changing it to "thru" which means something else.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
No. He made a mistake.

I'm pretty sure the USA use of through is the same as Canada - although some seem intent on changing it to "thru" which means something else.
They use "thru" for road signs because "through" is too long, apparently.

Of course, those same people changed "Bump" to "Undulations."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 07:29 PM

we use "thru" in our advertising copy all the time

it does save space. i believe our editor said it is according to the chicago style manual.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 08:00 PM

Gates also called people who are not in favor of DRM communists. How could this be? In reality, the situation is quite the opposite.

I'm opposed to DRM because I'm against BIG GOVERNMENT. Who wants somebody to be able to know what songs you listen to and what DVD's you watch?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2005, 08:28 PM

I was in a presentation of FinalCut Pro HD on a Dual 2 Powermac with 4 Gigs of RAM. Right when the presenter got to the point where he was talking about how rock solid FinalCut and MacOS were ... kernel panic

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 08:29 PM

Not only that, but Steve Jobs' camera froze up when connected to iPhoto during a demonstration at a past MacWorld a few years ago. The look on his face was priceless.

Of course, most here have a selective memory and only remember MS mishaps. Apple mishaps are conveniently ignored.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

The 2000 thing with Schiller wasn't even a beta of OS X, it was a pre- developer preview 3 of OS X, that's how early the version was!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
No. He made a mistake.

Ok, I'm not exactly sure if you are joking or if you are serious.

Through = Thru BUT NOT = Threw !

-t

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Not only that, but Steve Jobs' camera froze up when connected to iPhoto during a demonstration at a past MacWorld a few years ago. The look on his face was priceless.

Of course, most here have a selective memory and only remember MS mishaps. Apple mishaps are conveniently ignored.
How does a camera not working have anything to do with Apple products?

hayesk
Jan 7, 2005, 12:52 PM

Ok, I'm not exactly sure if you are joking or if you are serious.

Through = Thru BUT NOT = Threw !
What I have learned is that "through" is not the same as "thru".

Thru is used for expressing an inclusive range. 3 thru 6 means 3, 4, 5, and 6.

It does not mean to go from one place to another passing into and out of something.

"I drove through a rain storm" is correct.
"I drove thru a rain storm" is not.

Of course, I could be wrong and/or it could be a regional thing.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:59 PM

Yeah, wasn't the camera thing because of a messed up battery?

Maybe the point is that this snafu was an abberation since Windows software always works purrrrfectly.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 01:09 PM

The main difference was, Phil was running a beta of OS X. OS X (10.0) wasn't released until March 24, 2001.

Gates was showing a shipping equipment.

SIDE NOTE: For those of you that watched the Microsoft/Gates presentation... didn't you think it was awful? You know it's a mess when you feel bad for the presenters for having so many technical difficulties. I've seen complete amateurs give better demos/presentations. I couldn't count the "Ummm, we will have to show that to you in a little bit..." and "ummm, seems like we are having technical difficulties"...

It just goes to show you how polished Steve is. He is also smart enough to have a backup system and plan.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:

Did you watch the presentation video? It looked like Gates/M$ had never given a presentation. The Jobs' camera freeze was one incident. there were numerous glitches with the Gates/M$ presentation. Almost to the point where it was embarrassing.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:37 PM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2005, 01:39 PM

It only play's 'please stand by' for at least 24 hours now. Yesterday the MS site cheered and announced that people could see the keynote, when i came home their site changed to "later today" (and the link disappeared from their homepage, and now it changed again to "the highlights will be available shortly"

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/ces2005/default.mspx

anyone have a linky to the real thing?
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
It only play's 'please stand by' for at least 24 hours now. Yesterday the MS site cheered and announced that people could see the keynote, when i came home their site changed to "later today" (and the link disappeared from their homepage, and now it changed again to "the highlights will be available shortly"

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/ces2005/default.mspx

anyone have a linky to the real thing?
i saw it on techtv(g4 bs) last nite. i'll look for a torrent link or what not.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
[url]In his seventh annual keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show, Microsoft's chairman explained that the proliferation of high-speed Internet access and the falling price of data storage are compelling people to put music, photos, movies and other aspects of their life into a digital format.

"We predicted at the beginning of this decade that this would be a decade where the digital approach would be taken for granted," Gates told hundreds of technology enthusiasts, who gathered for his kickoff to the world's largest electronics show. "It's going even faster than we expected."
How many years have we been doing this already, they are really behind...
- Eric

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 04:36 PM

The Jobs camera incident was due to the batteries in the camera being dead. I fail to see how that error could be the fault of iPhoto or the Mac or anything that Jobs was trying to demo.

Blue screens of death, OTOH, are definitely a Windows problem.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 02:17 AM

That page looks just like old chinese communist propaganda posters.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2005, 10:01 PM

During the initial iBook demo, there were some problems. One machine wouldn't load the Quicktime stream of the keynote. Another took forever to wake up from sleep and also didn't load any sites until he closed the browser and reopened it.

So Apple has had more then a camera and Quake 3 incident. I'd have to watch the other keynotes I have archived to look for other issues.

Not every demo will be flawless, including those done by Apple on final hardware and software.
<This space under renovation>

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:

yadi yadi yada......

Not every demo will be flawless, including those done by Apple on final hardware and software
Next time say something I don't know!!!!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Is this a real commercial?

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...owdcontrol.mov
It's an old Apple ad from the 90s, pre-Jobs era.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by osxpinot:
Gates also called people who are not in favor of DRM communists. How could this be? In reality, the situation is quite the opposite.

I'm opposed to DRM because I'm against BIG GOVERNMENT. Who wants somebody to be able to know what songs you listen to and what DVD's you watch?
I don't think he said that about DRM. I think it was more about the whole Open Source and everything should be free and lets hug some trees movement.

Before you flame, I realize not all open source is about that and I don't have a problem with open source, but you can't deny there's a huge number of people that think open source also equals free.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2005, 01:57 AM

To be fair to Steve, I think he threw the camera to the guy, not at him.

Anyway, these screw ups happen all the time. That's part of the sport of watching keynotes. But, it's always funnier when it happens to Gates. The guy is, frankly, about as laid back as a flagpole. I guess he never made it to a public speaking class in school.
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Forum Links
Forum Rules