Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac superdrive noise

imac superdrive noise
milo
Dec 12, 2005, 08:52 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:58 AM. )

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 12, 2005, 09:14 PM

Just went through installing a ton of software on my new 17" iMac, I had an occasional CD or DVD that was noisy, but it was always isolated. Sorry can't be more help, good luck.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 12:26 AM

The reason this only happens with data CDs is because audio and video DVDs always play back at a fixed lower speed. You know how drives are always rated as a multiplier (ex. 48X CD, 8X DVD, and so on)? That's because the 1X speed for a given optical drive is the speed at which music (for a CD) or video (for a DVD) is played from the drive.

As you might imagine, that's a much slower speed than the maximum rated speed of the drive, so it's less likely to create vibration and noise. I don't know if your sound is normal - I have the same iMac model, but I don't often use data CDs on it. I'll have to give it a test.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

milo  (op)
Dec 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:57 AM. )

killertofu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 05:21 AM

yo milo,

i have had that same problem with my powerbook's superdrive for a long time now. it only does it when i load dvds into the drive for the first time. i just left it alone and figured if something happened, i have applecare that would replace or fix it. it's been about a year now, and it still makes the same sound but works just the same.
( Last edited by killertofu; Dec 17, 2005 at 05:35 AM. )
==================================
20" G5 iSight iMac
15" PowerBook G4

Waiting for the second shipment with my 360...

killertofu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 05:22 AM

a technical theory on why this happens...

both the imac and powerbook are slot load drives, which means when the disc is inserted into the computer, and starts its "spin cycle," it is totally enclosed and not held on a tray, like tray-load drives. so that whirring sound you hear, is the disc wobbling inside the drive, and maybe even rubbing against the drive case a little.

besides being annoying, it hasn't caused me any problems. and unless it becomes off center with the laser, i will leave it be.
( Last edited by killertofu; Dec 17, 2005 at 05:35 AM. )
20" G5 iSight iMac
15" PowerBook G4

killertofu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 05:22 AM

dammit, the database farted itself, so i posted this thing a gajillion times!
( Last edited by killertofu; Dec 17, 2005 at 05:36 AM. )
20" G5 iSight iMac
15" PowerBook G4

killertofu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 05:28 AM

oh my god! seriously...
( Last edited by killertofu; Dec 17, 2005 at 05:36 AM. )
20" G5 iSight iMac
15" PowerBook G4

halves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 04:34 PM

I have the exact same problem. Just got my 20inch iMac Core Duo and my superdrive makes the normal/typical "wizzing" sound while it's spinning the disc, dut as it reads the data, it makes a loud grinding sound. It seems to work fine as I have loaded music, photos and apllications. But the sound it makes is pretty annoying. Any news/thoughts?????

ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 05:53 PM

Same thing happens with mines, a grinding noise. I have a 17" iMac isight. I went to test at the apple store with a data cd, same thing happens. I'm sure it's normal. It's quite loud at first with constant grinds, but after a while it stops.

halves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 06:17 PM

Ryan,
Thanks for the reply. When you mentioned it is loud but then stopd..did you mean over time or case-by-case. I was considering bringing mine to the apple store as well. What did they tell you?
-Hugo

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 06:21 PM

My iMac G5 (that went back to be replaced by an intel which is still on its way) had the same loud drive, with the loud grinding noises. If it was my first slot loading drive, I would have thought there was something wrong with it, but my iBooks drive makes the exact same noises the iMac did. Ive always wished Apple would use those slot loading CD drives that are used for car stereos - you dont have to push the disk in nearly as far, and they drives suck the discs in nice and quietly and smoothly, which is unlike the slot loaders apple uses, which just snatch the disk off of you once it is 99% in the drive already
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 09:55 PM

Same prob with a 20" iMac PPC + my superdrive burns 2 CD out of 10 (the rule is to burn 8 out of 10)

milo  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 02:39 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:47 AM. )

jwoods
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 08:33 PM

They can't fix it if it ain't broken.

I haven't noticed my 20" iMac being loud when burning CD's or DVD's. Then again, I use a windows machine at work and that damn thing sounds like a jet just flew by at low altitude when burning stuff. It's normal to here a zzzz....zzzz....zzzz, eh, eh, zzzz, eh type sound. Different drives have various levels of sound to them when burning.

Having said that, if it bothers you, just call and see what they say.

dale
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 10:37 AM

Milo,

I have had my new 20" iMac for just over 6 weeks now. It wasn't until after I had used the thing for 3 weeks that I started to load my music library. I too get a "growling sound" when certain CD's are being copied into iTunes. Micro$oft office dvd made the same noise.

Mine sounds like the vibration you would hear if you held a flexible piece of plastic into a fan as it was spinning. I was wondering if it was the system fan spining up to cool down the DVD drive, but had something stuck in it. This thread does seem to point to the drive itslf though. Just debating whether to live with it, or take it back to apple. Broken finger causing serious transport problems (can't drive) other wise there would have been no hesitation in it returning to the store.

This is also my first mac. I love showing it to people who have only ever experienced windows, although I never show it importing into iTunes. the noise is a bit embarrasing when you are waxing lyrical about how great your new purchase is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules