Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll: White or Black MacBook

View Poll Results: Which would you buy, a White or Black MacBook?
Poll Options:
I'd buy the White one. 58 votes (39.46%)
I'd buy the Black one. 89 votes (60.54%)
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: White or Black MacBook
erniesthings
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 11:28 AM

With the MacBooks just weeks away (hopefully) and AppleInsider reporting that we may get a color options.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1667

I'm thinking we might be able to match out portables with our iPods. So which would you pick.

White or Black.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 11:30 AM

My answer is "Core Duo."

I owned the white iBook/500 back in 2001 and I think it'd still be cool in white. I'd be concerned about scratches on glossy black like the iPod Nano had...

erniesthings  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 11:47 AM

I currently have a white 1.2g and I take good care of it and you can still some marks on it.

I like the classy look of the white, but a sleek black might win me over. I'd probably have to see how the finish holds up.

lilford
Apr 12, 2006, 02:37 PM

I would never buy a black apple laptop. White is apple's color not black, even thought they have ipods in different colors, apple's computers are and always should be white. The only computer model with that exception would be the first imac coming in 5 colors not just white. The white computers that apple makes are more sleek than other colors of computers and the white makes it look sharper than say a black laptop. Plus if apple made black laptops, somebody might mistake it with a Windows (Eck) laptop. The only way you would know is the white apple and the sleek design that only apple can pull off.

rockritic
Apr 12, 2006, 03:17 PM

Thankfully, it's what's on the inside of a Mac that really counts. Mac computer and accessories are available in a variety of colours just like PC's and most other consumer goods because choice is good. As I recall, Powerbook's were available in darker colours at one time, no? Try to use Google image and NOT find a Black Mac Powerbook.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 03:48 PM

While cool, I wish Apple would offer 3-4 options... something very Apple.

- White
- Black
- Red
- Vintage - beige with rainbow colored logo.
Similar to the pizza box.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

I'd love ot have a black one with a white glowing apple on the other sid eof the screen!
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

lilford
Apr 12, 2006, 04:42 PM

Yes, But I just love the White, it makes it seem more sylish than other blacks computers, and I know computers aren't just all style, but with having a mac, it kinda is for me~

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 02:05 PM

If it happens, I'll have to see 'em in person before making the final decision, but I imagine a black MacBook would look pretty damn good..

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 08:18 PM

Neither white or black are colors. I'd really prefer real colors... blue, orange. I'd love a nice tone of one of those, or something really eye-catching and artistic. But, between those I think I'd take the black. My 1400 was black/grey and I liked it. I'm just so bored with the current color scheme.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 09:44 PM

I think with these two colors, it becomes a question of class versus style. Black is extremely sleek and stylish, while white is a little more delicate and classy. I personally think that Apple's been doing a good thing with the white computers: not only is it damn sexy, but it helps them stand out in a crowd. Think about how many laptops today are black... white just jumps out in a crowd.

Then again, so would a bright red or blue... *ponders*

But anyway, I officially vote that both should be available, but I'd probably pick up the white.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

fesdds
Apr 15, 2006, 11:28 PM

I have been happy with my 2 white iBooks and like the fact that the scratches on it are not noticable, cuz I tend to be a little rough with mine. So my vote: White.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 01:05 AM

Blue.

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 02:00 PM

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ack10242ze.jpg
Doesn't anyone remeber that? Looks sweet

HisDudeness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by tomzo22
http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ack10242ze.jpg
Doesn't anyone remeber that? Looks sweet
ahhh, i remember that. Man, i hope they give us the option

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 04:01 PM

I'll take a white one.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 03:11 AM

Black.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 11:30 AM

My idea... give me white, but make it easy to switch them out. So if I want purple flames from a 3rd party... I can get it for $30 (or some nominal fee).

erniesthings  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Think about how many laptops today are black... white just jumps out in a crowd.
I feel that a black Macbook would stand out in the crowd. No crappy Dell or other logo mucking up the finish. A ginormous amout of ports and connectors screwing up the clean lines. What Apple has done for white they most certainly can do for black.

If you were to line up all the black mp3 players out there just going on looks alone, apple's look the best.

I think the black Macbook would still stand out as a hot apple product and not get lost in the sea of laptops.

We might just end up getting a bunch of Macbook socks to choose from. =)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 08:40 PM

I would rather have a white casing that looks like the iMac. White with a clear plastic layer. That is what the icebook looked like originally. The current solid white iBook is not something I would ever consider.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 08:50 PM

I think the new MacBooks will come in one colour when they are first released: white. I think all this talk of colours is a little presumptuous in nature. I bet it is in the cards, but not in the MacBook's first revision.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 11:08 PM

I really can't imagine them doing any other colors besides black and white. I dunno; it seemed to kinda make sense for something little and cute like the iPod mini, but I think laptops just want to be neutral. Anyway, I think if they're planning multiple color options at all, they'll start now while they've got the excitement of a brand new Mac model.

I agree with you, kcmac, on the classiness of the extra layer of clear plastic. But I wonder if they can make the case that much smaller by going with the solid white.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 12:50 AM

Me, I'd go with white. While it would be cool to have something a different color, it just seems that Apple would do good to go with Henry Fords advice and offer them in "any color you want, as long as it is white".

Preference. IF they offered them in various colors (with perhaps, slightly longer shipping times) I bet many would take them on their offer. I personally like white, but that's just me.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 04:11 PM

why not ship it off to colorware if you want color so bad on the ibooks?...id think apple would charge the same ammount for a similar paint job.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
why not ship it off to colorware if you want color so bad on the ibooks?...id think apple would charge the same ammount for a similar paint job.
Cost, and No.

It almost seems as if people have forgotten the colorful iMacs and iBooks. Apple didn't charge a major premium (apart from the already present Apple premium) for the different colored Macs. And, in fact, they seemed to attract a lot of attention and thus new sales.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 18, 2006, 07:02 PM

As the fruity iMacs, coloured iPod mini's and recent black iPod nano's have proved, consumers like to have different options and in the case of the iPod nano, black actually outsells the white by a large margin. Apple would be wise to consider this option at some point in their MacBook line-up of computers, however, in the first run, I doubt they will really need different colours or shades to attract sales. We will see...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl
I'd love ot have a black one with a white glowing apple on the other sid eof the screen!
I have a PB G3. You can have it for $999.

I want a black one. It looks cool, and doesn't show dirt, fingerprints, etc. as easily.

erniesthings  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I want a black one. It looks cool, and doesn't show dirt, fingerprints, etc. as easily.

Ooooo.... That's right. I totally forgot how dirty my white ibook is. I'm not a slob or anything. It just shows some dirt and especially fingerprints.

Another plus for the black ibook for me.

dualbootguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

A black portible computer makes no sense. Black draws heat. Yes , white does stand out ( IPOD ) but i would favor white, or metallic for a laptop.

My cellphone, MPC, and turntables can be black.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 05:51 PM

i always wanted a straight up iBook... so... white

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 03:45 AM

I wonder if Apple will make a black MacBook. This poll shows roughly half/half for black vs. white. I wonder if it this way in the general populace, and if Apple has done alot of market research on this. I mean, they offer iPods and iPod Nanos in black or white, so maybe they actually have some market data on this. Time will tell.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2006, 08:07 PM

I want one that is the same red as Kaneda's motorcycle... If you don't know what I am talking about, then you simply don't deserve a colored MacBook

Hahaha... Just k!d!N6 (about the deserves... I so want a red one.)

R

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 5, 2006, 09:11 PM

Brushed metal!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2006, 09:30 AM

What, no option for translucent tangerine? And what about key lime?

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2006, 02:41 PM

Honestly... I am betting that they will only put out white ones. The reason? Well, it has to do with the fact that the ibook and imac have been in the links... NOT an iBook / iPod relationship.

Thus, I really doubt we will see a colored or black version of the MacBook. Believe you-me, I REALL REALLY REALLY want to have a colored version (black, or earth-tone colors) but...

R

masugu
Senior User
May 6, 2006, 04:20 PM

What about a clear lucite Macbook

HAHAHAHAHA

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 12:26 AM

Black. Still prefer the look of the PBG3's over the white iBooks.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 03:37 AM

Black, to match my Nano
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 7, 2006, 09:47 PM

As long as it's shiny, then black.

Hopefully, it will have a iPod-like transparent skin, that reflects the light like a pool of water on a moonlit night. I've been dreaming all weekend of a MacBook that looks like a large black 5th gen iPod...

But if it's a matt, dull finish then no. That style peaked with the "Pismo" PowerBook G3 in 2000. It was okay then, but I don't want to go backwards.

masugu
Senior User
May 7, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb
As long as it's shiny, then black.

Hopefully, it will have a iPod-like transparent skin, that reflects the light like a pool of water on a moonlit night. I've been dreaming all weekend of a MacBook that looks like a large black 5th gen iPod...

But if it's a matt, dull finish then no. That style peaked with the "Pismo" PowerBook G3 in 2000. It was okay then, but I don't want to go backwards.

I love Black....but now I've been thinking. Do I want a lap top with a scratchprone case or something that will look all fingerprinty? What am I saying. Of course I would!

Question is tho...WHy doesn;t Apple make black ear buds to go with the black iPod. I returned mine black Nano and got a white just cuz of that.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
I

Question is tho...WHy doesn;t Apple make black ear buds to go with the black iPod. I returned mine black Nano and got a white just cuz of that.

The white earphones have become the signature color for the iPod. It doesn't matter which model someone has shoved in their pocket, you just know that they have an iPod by looking at their white earphones. Even the black iPod is not distinguishable from a short distance but if it's the white one you can tell it's an iPod from miles away.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Super Mario
May 9, 2006, 05:45 PM

Cannot decide. Just want speed.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:03 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Cannot decide. Just want speed.
So, what's faster, black or white ?

-t

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006, 01:13 AM

Black... all the way. Like a freekin' sports car.

R

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
So, what's faster, black or white ?

-t
DUH, everyone knows that stripes, spoilers, and numbers make stuff faster.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006, 12:22 PM

Precisely! Man... I am so glad there is someone else out there that fully understands this.
Btw, that has to be the fastest bug I have ever seen!

R

cal-ov-whe
May 11, 2006, 09:33 PM

Def white. I like all my Apple products to match.

Actually, I'd deal with not matching for the sake of having a neon green one.

masugu
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 02:13 AM

Ohhhhhh be thin AND cool !

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
DUH, everyone knows that stripes, spoilers, and numbers make stuff faster.

But with computers, I thought it was neon lights and case windows that really make it fast.

masugu
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 12:36 PM

...and don't forget to put stickers on your PC as well...and reduce idon size on as much as possible. Really speeds things up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules