Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QT 6 w/ broken plugin icon

QT 6 w/ broken plugin icon
Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2002, 10:25 AM

Color me It's driving me I installed 6, paid the 30 bucks, and now can't download movies because the plugin icon's broken. IE, Mozilla, and Netscape 4.79, the result's the same-broken plugin icon. I'm running OS 9.1 on a PB 2400. Argh! Shaved head or I'd be pulling me hair out. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

T Allen
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2002, 07:20 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Milo Waye:
<strong>Color me It's driving me I installed 6, paid the 30 bucks, and now can't download movies because the plugin icon's broken. IE, Mozilla, and Netscape 4.79, the result's the same-broken plugin icon. I'm running OS 9.1 on a PB 2400. Argh! Shaved head or I'd be pulling me hair out. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Do you get a broken icon when you watch a QT movie trailer?
<a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/trailers/</a>

Betcha the problem is one of those hope-less .avi files.

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2002, 09:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by T Allen:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Milo Waye:
<strong>Color me It's driving me I installed 6, paid the 30 bucks, and now can't download movies because the plugin icon's broken. IE, Mozilla, and Netscape 4.79, the result's the same-broken plugin icon. I'm running OS 9.1 on a PB 2400. Argh! Shaved head or I'd be pulling me hair out. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Do you get a broken icon when you watch a QT movie trailer?
<a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/trailers/</a>

Betcha the problem is one of those hope-less .avi files.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">T,
yes,the broken icon appears on those apple.com/trailers also.

But previously downloaded .mov's and those often pesky avi's play just fine.

<small>[ 07-20-2002, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Milo Waye ]</small>

T Allen
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2002, 11:43 PM

So then the problem really is with the QT plugin - if the QT player works with previously downloaded movies.

What kind of install did you do?

Is there a QT plugin in your browser plugin folder?

If you open IE's preferences &gt; Receiving Files &gt; File Helpers, is the QT plugin set to play .mov files?

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2002, 12:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by T Allen:
<strong>So then the problem really is with the QT plugin - if the QT player works with previously downloaded movies.

What kind of install did you do?

Is there a QT plugin in your browser plugin folder?

If you open IE's preferences &gt; Receiving Files &gt; File Helpers, is the QT plugin set to play .mov files?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">T,
did the the live install, then the stand-alone when i got the broken icon after the first install. there were two plugins, one with no extension and another with a .class extension IIRC (not at home right now). put them both in the respective plugin folders.

I'll check the IE File Helper preferences tonight and post the findings. Thanks for helping!

T Allen
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2002, 12:20 AM

You might also want to take a look at the QT MIME Settings (open QT Player &gt; Edit &gt; Preferences &gt; QuickTime Preferences &gt; Browser Plugin &gt; MIME Settings). Perhaps it's gotten mucked up.

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2002, 10:02 AM

<strong>You might also want to take a look at the QT MIME Settings (open QT Player &gt; Edit &gt; Preferences &gt; QuickTime Preferences &gt; Browser Plugin &gt; MIME Settings). Perhaps it's gotten mucked up.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks T. I deleted QT and QT Preferences, downloaded the active installer and reinstalled it. Third time's the charm. It's working now in IE. Haven't tried Mozilla or NS but it should work there too now

Forum Links
Forum Rules