Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse finally getting ready!! Pics!

Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse finally getting ready!! Pics!
macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2006, 05:28 PM

( Last edited by macboy; Jul 25, 2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Product released)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 24, 2006, 05:37 PM

Hope the side buttons are no longer buttons.

"Hello, what have we here?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 05:57 PM

Thank God they aren't on the Mighty Mouse, unless you explicitly turn them on.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

oh geeze, and i just broke in my tailed mighty mouse.. if this will be the same price as the wireless is now, than MAYBE i'll get this.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 06:36 PM

from the apple website

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 06:56 PM

Yes?

And?

from a myhome website.

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2006, 06:59 PM

I dont get it either...

iRussel
Jul 25, 2006, 03:58 AM

cool pic lol
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

Jason
Jul 25, 2006, 05:08 AM

Lets start guessing when we all think it will actually be released. The closest one gets to pat himself, or herself on the back! And will also get bragging rights, personally i would really like it to be released at WWDC, but something in my stomach just doesnt seem to be 100% sure about that idea.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Naplander
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 08:59 AM

I hope they make it cleanable - or at least sort out the scroll wheel. Mine is constantly failing on me, and I am sure if I could get in there and clean it it would sort the problem out.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

cripes.....looks like they quit selling their other bluetooth mouse. glad i got one already, hope it doesn't break.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 09:47 AM

I think brassplayersrock was just trying to point out that the side-button functionality is still there. Thanks, bpr, though I'm sure it doesn't surprise anyone... Also, as analogika pointed out, since SWG can always just turn the damn function off, there's no reason to want them to take it away from others who might use it.

Anyway, maybe I'll go back to the campus computer shop and reconsider whether I can get used to the scroll ball. Also, pace SWG, I hope it's about as heavy as the regular Apple Wireless Mouse. I really like the heft of that thing..

iRussel
Jul 25, 2006, 09:49 AM

It's out now, go get em!
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 09:53 AM

Its out and shipping! $69.. Not bad.. I'll wait to see a couple reviews before I decide between this and the Sony Vaio one.. which is also $69

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 11:31 AM

hahahahahaha
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 12:51 PM

Ah...now I NEED one of these to go with my new MacBook. Unfortunately, the wife won't let me spend more money, which given the two grand I sunk on MacBook, Airport, and iPod is pretty reasonable of her.

Oh well...guess it'll have to wait until Christmas.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Ah...now I NEED one of these to go with my new MacBook. Unfortunately, the wife won't let me spend more money, which given the two grand I sunk on MacBook, Airport, and iPod is pretty reasonable of her.

Oh well...guess it'll have to wait until Christmas.
Sounds like someone is whipped if you need permission to buy a $70 mouse.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 02:42 PM

does anyone else feel that this was put out earlier than apple wanted due to the leaked m6 stuff? it just so happens that the stuff was leaked now all of a sudden the wireless mighty mouse is out

DIPESH14
Jul 25, 2006, 02:58 PM

Is anyone in the UK able to order it? If so, what is it retailing at, I really want one!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
does anyone else feel that this was put out earlier than apple wanted due to the leaked m6 stuff? it just so happens that the stuff was leaked now all of a sudden the wireless mighty mouse is out
Perhaps they pushed ahead the announcement when it leaked. That is what I would have done.

Either that or they didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle at WWDC.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DIPESH14
Is anyone in the UK able to order it? If so, what is it retailing at, I really want one!
It doesn't seem to be on the Apple UK store, which is odd, as it is on the main page at Apple.com/uk

I've heard conflicting reports... some say £45, others say £50... I'm guessing £50, because the normal Apple wired mouse was £20... the wired MM was £35 --> £15 more. The Apple Bluetooth Mouse is £40 - I don't rekon they will go to £55, but £50 seems about right (albeit expensive)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

markybigred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 04:34 PM

So am I the only one that thinks $70 is too much for a mouse? I know it's got all these features and whatnot ... but $70?!?!

BlackBook 2GB, 120GB | iPod Photo 60GB

DIPESH14
Jul 25, 2006, 04:35 PM

harrisjamieh, yeah ive noticed that too, its on the main page but the buy link takes you to the main store page. I did a search but only the wired MM comes up. You reckon its worth the £50?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DIPESH14
harrisjamieh, yeah ive noticed that too, its on the main page but the buy link takes you to the main store page. I did a search but only the wired MM comes up. You reckon its worth the £50?
I don't rekon its worth £50, just like I don't think the wired version is worth £35, but I think thats the price it will be. I'll still probably end up getting one mind...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Jeff Lebowski
Jul 25, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by markybigred
So am I the only one that thinks $70 is too much for a mouse? I know it's got all these features and whatnot ... but $70?!?!
It's wireless?

I spent $50 on my Logitech MX-518 and I don't regret it one bit. Before I got it I was like "oh nooes I got pwned!" and after I got it I was like "MY HEART'S BEATIN' MY HEART'S BEATIN', MY HANDS ARE SHAKIN' MY HANDS ARE SHAKIN', BUT I'M STILL SHOOTIN', I'M STILL GETTIN' HEADSHOTS, IT'S LIKE BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT BOOOOM HEADSHOTTTT"

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2006, 08:26 PM

I have the regular wireless mouse. I have to wonder though. With all the people I see complaining about the scroll ball (and I know there are many that have no problems) and the click factor.....

Why shouldn't I just go out and buy a Logitech MX1000 or something? Logitechs mice have been rock solid for me on my PC. I wouldn't think it woud be any different on a mac.

g. olson
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2006, 11:59 PM

I just bought a black Macbook. It is so un-apple to neglect the power cord and remote control. Now comes a wireless mouse. I've been using USB mini mouse by some other company for years and it works with any damn laptop with USB. Read the full specs on this wireless mouse and see the limited system configuration you need to use it, wirelessly. What??? And not even available in BLACK?? I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 12:14 AM

this blows. they dont even allow student discounts on this thing. its the same price for edu. as it is reg.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by g. olson
I just bought a black Macbook. It is so un-apple to neglect the power cord and remote control. Now comes a wireless mouse. I've been using USB mini mouse by some other company for years and it works with any damn laptop with USB. Read the full specs on this wireless mouse and see the limited system configuration you need to use it, wirelessly. What??? And not even available in BLACK?? I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.
Pardon me, but what the ---- are you talking about? Neglect the power cord? Are you saying the MacBook doesn't ship with a power cord? Of course it does. What about the remote control? It's there too.

And what about the mouse? Limited system configuration? It works with any bluetooth equipped computer.

Get a clue before you post, dude.

Chris

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2006, 12:27 AM

yo chabig, he's talking about matching colors.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 12:37 AM

yo gooser, he was also talking about the powercord and the remote control too, along with systym configs. get a clue before you post man. who ****ing cares if it doesnt come in black. i dont give a rats ass

lesman
Jul 26, 2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Sounds like someone is whipped if you need permission to buy a $70 mouse.
Sounds like someone hasn't been married or ever dealt with joint-finances to make a comment like that!
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2006, 01:10 AM

yo brassy, he was talking about the colors in those things too. do rat's asses come in black?

DIPESH14
Jul 26, 2006, 05:24 AM

Just got a price-its £49 in the UK., still in two minds..

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 06:27 AM

Is the wired Mighty Mouse still optical or is that a laser mouse now?

Not that I'm bothered, I took my Mighty Mouse back and got an MX1000 a couple of weeks ago.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lubberwort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 12:16 PM

Ordered wireless mighty mouse Jul 25, said it shipped today... they predicted Aug 1. Very exciting.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lesman
Sounds like someone hasn't been married or ever dealt with joint-finances to make a comment like that!

You're right about that. I wouldn't get married and put myself in a situation where I need permission to buy a $70 mouse.

bmizar
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 01:47 PM

I just got mine today. I like it. The trackball is pretty weird and will take some getting used to but the tracking is great and the left and right clicks are nice.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 26, 2006, 02:23 PM

Mine shipped today also.

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

bmizar, congrats on getting the mouse.. Care to post some pics... ? eager for some fresh mac prOn..

bmizar
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 06:15 PM

Well not really a whole lot to take photos of but here it is.

g. olson
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Pardon me, but what the ---- are you talking about? Neglect the power cord? Are you saying the MacBook doesn't ship with a power cord? Of course it does. What about the remote control? It's there too.

And what about the mouse? Limited system configuration? It works with any bluetooth equipped computer.

Get a clue before you post, dude.

Chris
Of course it comes with a power cord and remote -DUH. I've had a mac since 1985 (many different models) and i am commenting on a design issue. Apple's products, from packaging to plastic are unusually pleasing to the eye. A white cord hooked up to a lovely black computer just doesn't look right, and I would bet Mr. Jobs would agree.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bmizar
Well not really a whole lot to take photos of but here it is.

Sweet.. I just really hope the scrolling isnt as loose and troublesome as the wired mighty mouse..

Props to Apple to give this thing laser tracking. Im really hoping to get my hands on one soon to compare and see how its different from a regular optical mouse..

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2006, 11:27 AM

Hows the tracking? I have the MacAlly BTMouseJr and the tracking on it sucks.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 02:49 PM

Well mine just got delivered... but I'm at work.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 05:50 PM

One question-- can you cook nades in CoD?

The wired version double-buttoning were mutually exclusive.

Explanation: on a regular mouse, you can hold down the first button. You can then hold down the second button simultaneously and it would function as well. This does not work on the Mighty Mouse. I know, this is a huge issue! Anyone?

PeterKG
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 07:24 PM

I received mine today. It shipped the first day it was introduced, and got here two days later, using FedEx Ground. This BT version is far better for me then the wired version. The extra weight makes it feel solid as it glides along on it's pad. Movements are as sooth as can be, and there is no jerky pointer movement at all. Having no wire makes it much easier to manuver. I am very happy with it.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 07:31 PM

New Mighty Mouse software comes with the wireless Mighty Mouse:

Slight change to the mouse control panel (note new zoom options at the bottom):

The "Options" button next to the zoom control:

Works nicely; uses the same routines as the Universal Access zoom functions do, but very easy to operate. Nice feature!

porieux
Baninated
Jul 27, 2006, 07:34 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:51 AM. )

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 07:37 PM

I just got mine today. I noticed a very important detail that many might be missing: True 360� scrolling. The wired version advertised it, but it only scrolled horizontally and vertically. The new driver allows the scroll ball to scroll diagonally also, something the original couldn't do.

ODDLY enough, after I installed the driver which (I think) you can only get on the CD with the BT version, I plugged my old Mighty Mouse in, and I could use 360� scrolling on that (wired) version. So why doesn't Apple release this new driver for people still using the wired mouse? Seems weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules