Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATI Drivers: Major Crashes w/ 2 ATI Cards

ATI Drivers: Major Crashes w/ 2 ATI Cards
matttichenor
Mar 23, 2001, 12:53 AM

I understand that using two ATI Video cards on a G4 can be problematic, in fact I'm living through such problems right now, but does anyone know where I can obtain the original ATI Drivers that are designed for the ATI card that is in my 400MHZ G4 (Rage 128 Pro AGP). I cant find them at ATI's website and I don't think Apple's site has them.
Basically when I got my second card, a Rage Orion, I downloaded and installed drivers from ATI's website for that card, now I want to go back and install the original drivers for the built in AGP card but can't find them.

Internet Explorer now crashes all the time and comes up with an error message on application Startup saying Error Type 2 etc. etc.
Then if the whole computer doesn't freeze up, the Memory control panel is missing the Virtual memory section, it's just gone. Then when I restart, the virtual memory section is back and is now switched on, which is wierd because I never have it on. This seems to only occur when I have both cards installed and when Entourage is open on my second monitor. Very strange problem, and kind of tough to troubleshoot without the Original ATI/Apple drivers for my built in video card.

Any help would be appreciated
matt

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 02:11 AM

Are'nt they on your original OS 9 CD?

If not, try getting ahold of one and find the drivers there. I know, I know, how do you do these? I don't know, but the original drivers should be there on the CD.

Sorry for not being more helpful.....
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

matttichenor  (op)
Mar 23, 2001, 03:22 AM

Yeah, I had actually thought of this but I wasn't really sure how to go about installing them from the original cd short of doing a complete fresh rinstall of the system.

Who Knows,

m

Fuse
Mar 23, 2001, 11:38 AM

You should be able to use TomeViewer to extract the ATI files from the original installer disk that came with your G4. If not, I think I have an old backup of my system somewhere that should have the old ATI drivers (I can send you a copy if you want).

Have you tried just using one set of (current Apple) ATI drivers? I'm wondering if the 2 sets of drivers are screwing everything up. I hope you get the problem solved -- I was going to buy a PCI Rage Orion this weekend to drive a 2nd monitor for my G4/AGP. I guess I'll hold off a bit now...

[This message has been edited by Fuse (edited 03-23-2001).]

matttichenor  (op)
Mar 23, 2001, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I guess that would work, although I hate just dumping extensions into the System, I always feel that I'm missing something if I don't run a proper installer.

One other wierd thing that occured when I set this up was that when I viewed Entourage/Outlook on the second monitor (Apple 17" Studio), some of the little popup menus that come up when you are typing an address did not come up, or would come up and then disapear after entering in more than two letters. If I then drag the new message window into my main monitor, all is fine. I can't quite figure it out, but boy is it frustrating, as using two monitors is awful sweet.

I plan on isolating the problem a little more today to see if it is indeed the card/driver.

Thanks for the help,
m

Fuse
Mar 23, 2001, 12:52 PM

Yeah, I guess that would work, although I hate just dumping extensions into the System, I always feel that I'm missing something if I don't run a proper installer.
It should be OK -- but in any case, a much quicker way of testing than doing a new install. Are both your monitors Apple? -- maybe the confict is with Apple's monitor (calibration) software. Try disabling the monitors extension, or try connecting the monitors to the opposite video cards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules