Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 24 Intel ....iSub and Backup UPS

iMac 24 Intel ....iSub and Backup UPS
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2007, 12:29 PM

Have new iMac 24 intel...have 2 questions:

Cannot get iSub to be recognized on Sound on System Preferences. Have read that iSub (about 4 yrs old) will not work with intel iMac. Pls help!

Other question...best Backup UPS (prefer APC brand) for this Mac?

Thanks
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 03:23 PM

You need to plug in external USB speakers for it to be recognized...
My Blog-pakos.me

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

Regarding the iSub, this Apple document says that it will only work IF you have another USB audio device hooked up. Relevant quote:
Note: If you are using an Intel-based computer, an iSub will only work when USB speakers or a USB audio interface device are connected to the computer and selected as the default output device in Sound preferences.
As for the UPS, get one that will provide you with ample time to shut down your Mac and essential gear during an extended power outage. Somewhere with 700KVA or more. Getting one with USB interface to alert your Mac is a plus. I've used APC, Belkin, and several other no-name units. They work pretty well with Macs.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
As for the UPS, get one that will provide you with ample time to shut down your Mac and essential gear during an extended power outage. Somewhere with 700KVA or more. Getting one with USB interface to alert your Mac is a plus. I've used APC, Belkin, and several other no-name units. They work pretty well with Macs.
Seven hundred kilovolt amps??? I think you mean 700VA. 700KVA is a LOT!!!

I have my iMac plugged into a 500VA UPS and it's nicely protected. Remember that the iMac doesn't draw a lot of power-the 20" iMac pulls about 85W max. A 500VA unit equates to providing about 350 watts, and APC says they rate their 500VA Back-UPS CS units for 26 minutes at 100W draw. I think that's more than adequate.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dell Switcher  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2007, 06:03 PM

I do have external USB Klipsch Speakers into the headphone jack at rear of iMac 24. Plus I have the proper settings in Systems Preferences Sound Output which reads Headphones Built-in-Output. The iSub does not appear on the Sound Systems Preference. I wonder what is wrong?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Seven hundred kilovolt amps??? I think you mean 700VA. 700KVA is a LOT!!!
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I did mean just VA. (I'm staring at our datacenter UPS right now laughing.) I suggested > 500VA in the assumption that the user may be plugging in other devices, including broadband modem/router/wireless access point, speakers/iSub, and what not. The sum total would probably be less than capacity, but at the price the UPSs being sold (from my last visit at Fry's), the higher-rated VA UPSs are the better deal. You might want to use APC's UPS Selector to see what kind will suit your environment.

One thing though... Do not plug in a laser printer to the UPS.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2007, 03:13 AM

You said you had USB speakers plugged into the sound jack, I'm assuming you have some sort of converter because this sounds odd. The Apple document states to plug them into a USB port.

Dell Switcher  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 03:42 AM

BINGO...these speakers are NOT usb...see below:

lipsch Ultra 2.0 Pro Speakers
The ProMedia Ultra 2.0 personal audio system was created for consumers who want superior, full-range sound quality but do not want to give up the space or run the wires required for a subwoofer. Supports all iPod models and all computers with a headphone port.

Thanks for solving my problem. Explains why you are MacElite

Thanks very much

Forum Links
Forum Rules