Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best Camcorder...

Best Camcorder...
ATLMacUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 09:30 PM

I am wanting a good camcorder, mac/iLife/aperture/final cut- friendly. I'm leaning towards flash drive, but HD is cool too. I want to spend between 300-400 bucks, but might spend a little more for the right deal.

For what I can find out JVC looks like they got some good models. Sony I've heard uses their own software, which is the only software that can retrieve your media, is Windows only. Can anyone elaborate here?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2008, 11:48 PM

Canon VIXIA HF100 (flash card) or Canon VIXIA HG10 (hard drive and flash card)
A tad north of your price range at $650-700, but two great camcorders.

Strictly in your price range, the Canon FS100 (flash card) is a good option but it's not HD.

fwarhola
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 12:13 AM

Consider a camcorder with HD recording, either on tape/HD or ? It might cost a little more, but the video and stills are much better than a DV cam...IMHO...

Fred

ATLMacUser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 08:28 PM

Not sure I want to shell out the $$ for HD. I'm sure it's impressive as hec but it's a little too rich for me... My girlfriend has a 2 year old Panasonic Mini DV which she never uses. I'll play with that and see if the video is bearable. However, I'm pretty sure my next step will be flash drive- I'll wait to see if HD gets a bit cheaper.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 12:20 PM

call me old fashioned, but i bet the best deals are on 3-ccd mini-dv SD camcorders right now. I prefer tape for archives, but I'm a dinosaur I guess. I have a lot of camcorders, and my favorite hand-held of all time was the Panasonic GS-400. Those should be selling pretty cheap now on ebay. good luck!
FH

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:53 AM

Canon HV-30. Best image quality in the class under 1500$.

At about 750$.

Undervalued, because no hip AVCHD recording to SD card.

Don't forget: importing AVCHD from the SD card isn't just dragging a file across. There's a lot of computer rendering involved, and it takes just as long as importing tape shot images from the hv-30.

The hv-30 has an amazing light quality in its images.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2008, 08:48 AM

I'm with forumhound on this. A 3-CCD image sensor picks up more, better image data, and mini-DV tapes are both abundant and inexpensive. The only down side to mini-DV is the time factor for downloading the video, and that can be done unattended. I have a Sony DCR HC26 (mini-DV) camera, and it does quite well for all the tasks mentioned. I've used it for course-critical documentation on several occasions, and it's been both easy to use and easy to download from. And it cost me about $300 when I got it almost two years ago; a far more capable camera, potentially with 3 CCDs, should be around that price range now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules